Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question in the forums about a rubbing sound when at slow speed down an incline using the motor for breaking or a steady speed. The group said it was belt slap, meaning the belt is rubbing on the casing.

I have a totally stock 2019, with around 220 miles on it and it did it from the start. I'm took a lot of care to break in the belt and use low when trail riding.

I have yet to remove the cover and look at it.

Is this a defect that I should take back to the dealer for or a known design flaw? how can I fix it? Different belt? white washer?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
517 Posts
2018 XP here, Same sound as you. 620 miles. Sounds like a tire drag lock up sound either on decel going down a loose hill or sudden deceleration off the gas fast. Took my cover off and saw and felt where it rubs. bought a new belt and compared it and the used belt looks stretched. Also, there is glazing, especially along the inside edge. think it is running too low in the secondary. I bought Hunterworks secondary rollers to exchange out the square pucks AND Hunterworks primary washer to limit the travel of the belt in the secondary. Got to put it all back together yet.

Also, i scuffed up and cleaned the primary sheaves and will be putting on and breaking in a new belt. Is it normal? Potentially, but I didn't like the sound and my belt looked like it was being overheated so I am trying some simple things.

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Vendor
10,286 Posts
I asked this question in the forums about a rubbing sound when at slow speed down an incline using the motor for breaking or a steady speed. The group said it was belt slap, meaning the belt is rubbing on the casing.

I have a totally stock 2019, with around 220 miles on it and it did it from the start. I'm took a lot of care to break in the belt and use low when trail riding.

Is this a defect that I should take back to the dealer for or a known design flaw? how can I fix it? Different belt? white washer?

Thanks in advance.
Always best to start by taking cover off and see what you see.

Round rollers to replace the square pucks will help as it is more efficient to return the clutch back closed quicker so that means faster backshift and tighter belt on deceleration

But take cover off and look above the belt in between clutches at back cover and see if you see rub marks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks in advance.
Always best to start by taking cover off and see what you see.

Round rollers to replace the square pucks will help as it is more efficient to return the clutch back closed quicker so that means faster backshift and tighter belt on deceleration

But take cover off and look above the belt in between clutches at back cover and see if you see rub marks

Sorry for the delay, been busy with other things

Anyway here is some pictures

This is a couple of pictures of the belt rubbing the top of the plastic. its enough to make the plastic have some build up (burnt plastic) at the end of the scrape mark

There is a small amount of rub marks on the bottom of the cover but no where near the top side.

You can see the belt is clean on the top ribs from rubbing

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
7,416 Posts
Pop-rivet a Teflon strip up there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Our 17 had the problem. Tore the top off the belt. Aligned the engine and trans shaft and fixed that and other clutch problems.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I going to call the dealer on tuesday (closed on monday)

This issue and the fact mine also can't go over 62 mph, anything above 50 it just feels weak and barely gets to 62. Not that I would regularly go over 40-50 but I think this is another side effect of a bigger problem.

I Value hunterworks advice and would like to know as much as possible before I talk to the dealer, so they don't try to buffalo me and try and tell me everything is normal

·
Registered
517 Posts

This issue and the fact mine also can't go over 62 mph, anything above 50 it just feels weak and barely gets to 62. Not that I would regularly go over 40-50 but I think this is another side effect of a bigger problem.

I Value hunterworks advice and would like to know as much as possible before I talk to the dealer, so they don't try to buffalo me and try and tell me everything is normal
Take your belt off and look for glazing, cuts etc. I bet your belt is glazed. This is exactly what was going on with mine. I changed out the belt, put the round rollers in and their white primary washer to prevent over travel and it’s like a new machine.

·
Vendor
10,286 Posts

I would suspect shaft spacing is off, the two clutches too close together. Either that or secondary not closing up fast enough

This answer was about the belt hitting, the not hitting barely 62, hitting limiter or out of power?

Todd

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only add the comment about the mph thing is because it had me thinking, at the time I didnt think they were related but they might be. Just asking, trying to get my learn on

I doesnt hit the limiter, It just runs out of steam up top.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Todd they checked the spacing and its right on. They replaced all the springs and covers still does it.
There is more than one way to check the shaft spacing. One way does not find an alignment problem, only spacing. Alignment is the key. How did they do it? By measuring or??

·
Standard Vendor
1,482 Posts
Still happens even on a 19'... When you let off quickly from hard acceleration the secondary release quickly allowing the belt to come off of the drive and hit the exhaust port. It melts the front edge of the exhaust port and becomes sharp enough to take the outer cogs off of the belt, which also creates excess heat on the belt. As for the outer cover... they are mass produced and we have seen many warped and the belt can rub. Couple things you can try... 1- remove the drives, loosen the bolts for the inner cover and try to move it up a little. As for the outer cover, you can heat it up with a heat gun and attempt to reshape it a bit so the belt clears. You need to get it really hot so use gloves! Last thing that can help is use the "Slide Guide" which we helped develop with G-Force racing. It's made from Teflon and mount over the exhaust port area and give the belt a place to hit and slide off of without damaging it. Not in production now, but I think we have a couple around if your interested.
Regards,

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Todd they checked the spacing and its right on. They replaced all the springs and covers still does it.
WHo is they and how did they do it?

Do you still have the square pucks in the secondary clutch?
Dealer changed both covers twice,check the spacing and replaced the belt and changed all springs. I replaced the square pucks with round. I have tried moving the cover up and down and all that does is change from hitting top to bottom. I gave up

1 - 20 of 34 Posts