Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just wondering what you would do. Have a 2017 570 EPS with 5K very easy miles on it. We ride mostly dusty trails during the summer and nothing too extreme. The oil is changed probably more than it needs, the air cleaner is changed almost every ride, gets greased every time the oil gets changes, and the belt has been checked and clutch blown out just as often. I guess i'm saying that the machine is babied. The drive belt looks and feels like new and still rides high on the driven clutch. The clutch faces look and feel like they are new so.....My question to you is would you change the belt just because you have 5000 very easy miles on it?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
100% yes. Change it. Cheap insurance. Don't wait until it breaks. They are cheap. I change mine at 1000 miles, not babied but not trashed either, belt looked new.

When they break they can get strings wrapped up in everything and even damage seals. Also, it will break at the worst possible time, Murphy's law.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,702 Posts
100% yes. Change it. Cheap insurance. Don't wait until it breaks. They are cheap. I change mine at 1000 miles, not babied but not trashed either, belt looked new.

When they break they can get strings wrapped up in everything and even damage seals. Also, it will break at the worst possible time, Murphy's law.
It's in a 570, you're going to notice it slipping or getting jerky long before it breaks, doubtful that it would even ever break in the conditions he described. With the riding and maintenance he describes, I'd bet it's never even a concern. In a 1K or Turbo, or if driven hard or not maintained, my thoughts would entirely reverse.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure if you have a spare, but if you do put the new one on and keep the old one as a spare. If not, yes, change the belt and keep the old one as a spare. Win win.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nice spot to store your spare!! I have mine beside the seat inside the plastic. It tends to get a little muddy there. It would stay cleaner on the back of the seat. I like it. Thanks for sharing katnapper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Nice spot to store your spare!! I have mine beside the seat inside the plastic. It tends to get a little muddy there. It would stay cleaner on the back of the seat. I like it. Thanks for sharing katnapper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd love to take credit for the idea, but I stole it from a forum member years ago.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
It's in a 570, you're going to notice it slipping or getting jerky long before it breaks, doubtful that it would even ever break in the conditions he described. With the riding and maintenance he describes, I'd bet it's never even a concern. In a 1K or Turbo, or if driven hard or not maintained, my thoughts would entirely reverse.
You're not wrong on what you'd feel. Biggest culprit I've observed of a 570 blowing a belt is multiple, slow(0-15mph), steep climbs in high. It wasn't usually from 1 ride, but eventually that extra heat starts breaking stuff down. You will overheat the belt and cause it to fail. Low is for slow. I saw that @Hunterworks doesn't even make a 570 belt (or I would have bought one). I'd imagine that it's because we don't go through them like the larger displacement machines. Only 45hp here.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You obviously take great care of your RZR. Why not change it now in your garage rather than on the trail at some point? Your old belt will make a great spare as pointed out.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I replaced my original belt with about 1000-1500 miles on it and kept it for a spare as others do. I replaced it with this belt https://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/53128/52235 from Hunterworks. It is a Gates C12 belt and is a little wider than the OEM belt. It did improve the smoothness of engagement over the OEM belt. For the $89 it is pretty cheap insurance and it is more enjoyable to do at home when the machine is nice and clean rather than along the trail somewhere. I have about 3500 miles on this belt and it still looks like new.

·
Premium Member
7,256 Posts
The other benefit of the Gates Carbon belt from Hunterworks.Com is that, if you break it, it doesn't string out like Kevlar or aramid belts. Much easier to clean up and replace.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
275 Posts
Advantage of keeping the current belt is it's worn with the clutches to perfection likely, Advantage of new belt. New belt and will likely last you another 3k miles. 2nd belt is going on worn sheaves, so you never have that new new setup ever again. I would say "preventative" maint never hurts. But there is no disadvantage to changing it to new other than the minimal expense.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you can afford a new belt it might be a good idea to look over the clutch and put a new belt one. Keep the old one for a spare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts