Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2013 rzr 800 6 weeks ago and at 25 hrs am already replacing the drive belt. I bought the rzr s belt and put it on. Just curious if there is a break in procedure so I don't run through this belt in 25 hrs. And btw I'm very rough on my machine and ride her hard and put her away wet.

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
The drill is to wash the belt with Dawn detergent before you install it to get all the oily/waxy residue off and after installing it take it easy for a half hour or so before you nail it. As for me, after the install, I drive around in low range for an hour just to make sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I refuse to pull it all apart and take the belt off and wash it. Guess I shoulda asked before installing. I'll take it easy on her for about an hr and see where that gets me. The stock belts must be junk. The rzr s belt is way beefier

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My 2010 belt is still running strong. Make sure you use low when going slow as this will burn them up in a hurry. Seen a Guy burn one up last weekend on a new machine. He thought low was for steep climbing only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts
Hot, hot, hot soapy water on the New Belt. Clean the sheaves with Brake Cleaner and Scotch Bright Pad. Run it easy for the first hour.

Don't know all the reasons your new belt did not last, but it should have lasted a whole lot longer. If this second one does not last, and you just did not total blow it and abuse it right out of the box, then you may have alignment issues. But I have seen new rigs and guys blow a belt on the first ride, as they did not run low when they should have, no warm up etc etc.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I think the key is to heat cycle a new belt much the same as Nascar scuffs tires to be used during a race.

Heat cycling the rubber cures it and makes it harder. JMHO.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I drove mine for about a half mile in low to warm it up.I removed the stock belt at around 250 mi and put an S belt in.1500 miles on it when i traded it in and still like new.Always used low when driving tight technical trails.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think not using low is my problem, I ride the piss outta my machine. We will see how this new belt hold up.

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts
I think the key is to heat cycle a new belt much the same as Nascar scuffs tires to be used during a race.

Heat cycling the rubber cures it and makes it harder. JMHO.
I take it easy on all or our Rigs be it the Rzr's or ATV's for a half mile or so to let the belts and Rigs get good and warmed up. I guess it stems from when they started making the first liquid cooled Dirt Bikes back in the day. I had one of the first ones, I am telling my age. Factory Reps told us to warm them up until you could not put your hand on the head, then good to go. Might be old school to most now days, just old habits are hard to break. I let everything get good and warmed up, then hammer down!! Kinda like treating a good woman the right way!! Haaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Very common problem. I would have never known myself if my dealer wouldn't have gone threw such a great training with me on EVERTHING. Enjoy the new ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts