Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
AKA: blinginvic
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another project I completed is the engine access panel in the bed of the RZR. MotoActiv made this panel up for me. It was a little nerve racking using a jigsaw to cut the bed up, but in the end, it worked out awesome. I sanded all the edges smooth and ensured the hole was symmetrical. One would think it came from the factory like this!!!!

While riding in the Oregon Dunes, my Gibson exhaust melted a small hole in the bed...:rm_thumbdown:....luckily it was where the panel would be located. The purpose of this panel is two-fold....

One, it allows me to get into the engine area to clean and maintain, tinker, etc.

Two, the aluminum panel also acts as my heat shield. There is one small corner where the heat would still rise, so I cut a smaller heat shield from some galvanized metal, and riveted it to the bottom of the bed mounting bar. I sandwiched self adhesive cork between the shield and the bar to eliminate any potential rattles. In the pics, you can see this panel on the right front corner of the access opening (looking from the rear).

Also, I mounted foam insulation tape to the bottom outside edge of the panel to further eliminate any rattles or vibrations. The panel has the four lock & ride holes at each corner. My lock & ride storage box sandwiches the panel to the bed, so no mounting hardware is required for the panel. Very quick and easy to gain access. I noticed the bed lock & ride holes were cracking a bit, so I used some stainless hose clamps on bottom sides of the holes to tighten them up... shouldn't ever be an issue again.

I won't have to worry about melting my bed again, and the best part is, it's going to be ten times easier to clean and detail my meticulous RZR. Here's the pics:

·
Registered
494 Posts
That's an awesome idea! Looking good...man, how do you keep your engine bay so clean? You must buy Armorall by the gallons.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Bil, brilliant idea ! :clap: Bravo....

Clean, simple....it's obvious now that the vehicle " Should " have come with an access panel from the git go !

I may just have to copy that in some way, shape or form....

:shhh:

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
Looks good. I seem to remember someone else saying they had done something similar in another thread. It sounds like you have a well thought out and well built mod there. Have you taken it out for a spin to see how hot it gets and if it rattles any?

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Every once in a while, I see a truly unique and innovative idea on here. You Sir have just shown us one!!! Great DOIN' !!!

·
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good. I seem to remember someone else saying they had done something similar in another thread. It sounds like you have a well thought out and well built mod there. Have you taken it out for a spin to see how hot it gets and if it rattles any?
It's not my original idea...and I don't recall who did this, but it's a great idea. I've only ridden up and down my street a few times while tuning my clutch...no rattles, but then again, it's pavement. I'm attending a large ATV rally on the 16th, so I will know after that ride.

OK I give up, what is SC1? Mod looks great.
SC1 is only the greatest polishing product ever made....I think the can says new bike in a can....which is very much true!!! Made by Maxxima. Google it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Humm.... Might just have to cut my bed out now and cover the bottom of my lock and ride box with duramat to deflect the heat to cover the hole.

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
That looks great!
One thing I would point out is that cover is going get hotter than hell. If you use your bed to haul gear you may have some issues.

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
My stock bed gets a little too hot for my ice chest/cooler. I cut a piece of 2" foam insulation the size of your cover to fit under my cooler. It works very well.

·
Vendor
4,175 Posts
Why not do this with a peice of black plastic? Might not raddel or scratch as easy.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hey Bil,
You've outdone yourself with this ONE. LOOKs Great and Functionaly TOO. X2 on access for cleaning. What type of metal and how thick. You know where I'm going with this one don't you? :)) May see another pic real soon.
Your TN Fabber,
Bart

·
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanxs again guys. It's an aluminum plate...not sure on the thickness. Approx 1/16th of an inch. As mentioned, MotoActiv water jetted this piece up for me.

I can also easily stuff a rag in the CVT exhaust when cleaning, easily inspect my engine intake boot, remove the exhaust springs, check the vent lines....etc. Just makes life easier.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts