Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the RZR on its first real ride last weekend. We rode the outlaw trails in southern WV. Right off the bat I can see where the machine is lacking. Number 1 is ground clearance. I must have hit a hundred rocks with the front end. Number 2 is the suspension doesnt absord jack. My buddies said I was babying my new RZR but really it was because the ride was so harsh I was creeping along. Ive read all the threads about how bad the stock springs are and to replace them but it seems the shocks are also a weak point. I dont need some elaborate suspension setup but I do need something that can absorb and smoothen the ride of washed out rocky trails of WV. Im going to be running 27's so I hope that I gain the ground clearance Im looking for from that. What do you guys reccomend?

·
Registered
234 Posts
27" tires will get you an inch, how much more are you looking for?

What is your budget? Choices for upgrading range from $400 to $3000.

Plenty of threads in this section that have covered this all before, just need to start reading what is already there.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
If your looking for a great ride and better ground clearance buy a chevy.. LOL Now for your question. I'd give Steve a call at makin Trax and tell him just what your looking for. He's a good guy and won't steer you wrong.

·
skull2002
337 Posts
a few less expensive tips i can offer are roktek lift, bout 165. if you can find a used set of ltr 450 front shocks ( bought mine off ebay for 115 bux ),i also removed front and rear swaybars. those 3 things helped out a great deal on clearance and ride.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Remove the sway bars and put makin trax springs on. Will cost you $400 but will improve the ride and give you a little more clearance. If you are really concerned with clearance add a 2-3" lift kit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had the same problem with mine on the rocks at windrock in TN I put a 2 inch lift from racer tech and love it. The first few times I went to windrock I was beating the hell out of the bottom now I only hit on major rocks and for that I put Tonys toys rock sliders and a arm guards. O and my makin tracks springs just came in today :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
And done installing the springs and taking off the sway bars got to say that was the easiest upgrade I have done so far started a little after my last post. I did a little trial run around the nhood and all felt good ran over speed bumps at 35 and didnt feel them lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do the MakinTrax springs help that much while still using the stock shocks? That is the route I was originally thinking of going just wasnt sure if it would be like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound. If the shocks are junk too figured Id go ahead and replace em. Guess I could always get the springs and try them out then transfer them over to better shocks if needed.

I was just really suprised as to how soft the suspension is on this thing. I mean dont get me wrong I dont think my RZR is a cadillac but I just expected better from a $12k machine. I came home and adjusted my springs 2 clicks but havent had a chance to try it out yet cept round the house.

Ive looked at the racertech lift and will prob pick one up eventually but for now will start with the tires and springs and go from there. Also, anybody running the racertech springs?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I rode the outlaw trails in Apr-May and had the 2" Racer Tech lift with 26" Bighorns. I didn't really bottom out on much. Though, I know what you mean about being a little rough. I ordered the Makin Trax progressive shocks prior to the trip, but they didn't come in until I got back. While I was waiting on those, I ordered the AFCO silver series. They came in the day I deployed, so I won't be able to test them out for another six months.... :sad:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Took the RZR on its first real ride last weekend. We rode the outlaw trails in southern WV. Right off the bat I can see where the machine is lacking. Number 1 is ground clearance. I must have hit a hundred rocks with the front end. Number 2 is the suspension doesnt absord jack. My buddies said I was babying my new RZR but really it was because the ride was so harsh I was creeping along. Ive read all the threads about how bad the stock springs are and to replace them but it seems the shocks are also a weak point. I dont need some elaborate suspension setup but I do need something that can absorb and smoothen the ride of washed out rocky trails of WV. Im going to be running 27's so I hope that I gain the ground clearance Im looking for from that. What do you guys reccomend?
Seem's like you should have bought the "LE" for the better shocks & then just up graded them springs.. but the 2011 standard "s" has them sachs shocks & they really suck bad!!! Time to step up to some better shocks & springs!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Deerdiver, tks I am off tomorrow and will read threw some of that,

DW1976, Right on man we got the same machine. How much ground clearance do you got with the lift and Bighorns? Id prob just go with 26in BH's if my buddy wasnt gonna sell me some 27in XTR's with like 300 miles on em for $100. Like I said Im gonna start with the tires and springs and see how that works and then prob do the 2in racertech later in the summer/fall. Stay safe over there dude and thank you for your service. I know your having rzr withdrawls but It will make it that much sweeter when you do get back behind the wheel.

Texasrzrrider, I do have the LE. May not say it in my sig but the Orange Madness for 2011 is LE with EPS. Springs definately, shocks maybe down the road. Its all good though, Part of the hobby is going out seeing what you need to make the machine better. I love it lol

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
I rode the outlaw trails in Apr-May and had the 2" Racer Tech lift with 26" Bighorns. I didn't really bottom out on much. Though, I know what you mean about being a little rough. I ordered the Makin Trax progressive shocks prior to the trip, but they didn't come in until I got back. While I was waiting on those, I ordered the AFCO silver series. They came in the day I deployed, so I won't be able to test them out for another six months.... :sad:
Good luck Donny. Those Silvers are going to be a fun thing to come home to, among other things. Thanks and watch your back :clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts