Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Always keep one in every vehicle and know how to use it. That guy was very lucky.

Sorry for my ignorance, what is this picture of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thinking its a tourniquet to help mitigate the bleeding while out on the trail until help arrives.
Direct pressure never a tourniquet unless you want to loose a body part. Tourniquet take very special training. Anyone can use direct pressure. Once started don't stop for serious injuries.

Good to know basic first aid and pressure points as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Always keep one in every vehicle and know how to use it. That guy was very lucky.
As answered, it’s a tourniquet (TQ). That’s one of my training TQs this the T written on it.

The application of a TQ is somewhat specialized, but not hard to learn. They are strictly for an arterial bleed that can not be stopped any other way. Just another tool for the box.
Just looking at the pic of the impaled leg, that does not appear to be anything needing a TQ. Leave the branch impaled, cut it back some for ease of transport. Pack entry and exit areas with gauze and haul him out to an ambulance.

Sorry for my ignorance, what is this picture of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thinking its a tourniquet to help mitigate the bleeding while out on the trail until help arrives.
Direct pressure never a tourniquet unless you want to loose a body part. Tourniquet take very special training. Anyone can use direct pressure. Once started don't stop for serious injuries.

Good to know basic first aid and pressure points as well.

·
Jay
55 Posts
Frank, that’s a very good point on the full skid plate protection!! Guess I never associated the skid plate with protection against this. I have the McNasty fender inlays guess it’s time to make a 1/2” thick UHMW full skid
Skids are great, but most of the ones I have seen are coming from the front where skids don't cover.
What protection do you use for that? :surprise
I put these on my XP after the last thread about branch intrusion. They are pretty solid so I would think they should stop intrusion but I'm not positive. Certainly better than the thin plastic inner fender wells.

https://mcnastycustomz.com/store?olsPage=products/polaris-rzr-feet-floor-gaurds

·
Registered
14 Posts
The application of a TQ is somewhat specialized, but not hard to learn. They are strictly for an arterial bleed that can not be stopped any other way. Just another tool for the box. Just looking at the pic of the impaled leg, that does not appear to be anything needing a TQ. Leave the branch impaled, cut it back some for ease of transport. Pack entry and exit areas with gauze and haul him out to an ambulance.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Frank, that’s a very good point on the full skid plate protection!! Guess I never associated the skid plate with protection against this. I have the McNasty fender inlays guess it’s time to make a 1/2” thick UHMW full skid
Skids are great, but most of the ones I have seen are coming from the front where skids don't cover.
The McNasty aluminum front inner fender inserts protect that. I have those. Never really thought much about the under side until now

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
The McNasty aluminum front inner fender inserts protect that. I have those. Never really thought much about the under side until now
I know I trot out this story every time a thread about trees/limbs into the cab comes up, but I had it happen to me. Just want to point out the lodge pole pine that speared my old xp900 came through the wheel well, not from underneath the skid plate. Luckily I wasn't going fast enough to jab me, but it came within an inch of my inner thigh by the time I stopped. It is a real threat.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
As an old woods two wheel rider, one learned how to read branches. Did it wrong and had instant feed back as it popped you hard on the leg. The feed back with a SXS can be much worse. There are ways to encounter branches that reduce the risk a great deal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thunderhawk Performance makes great, easy to install, aluminum wheel well plates that integrates perfectly with a 1/2 inch Factory UHMV full skid package. I added both after a branch shot up through the floor of my XP1K going about 10mph.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had a small stick intrusion about a month ago.Jb weld putty underneath around the egg crate and epoxy in the cab.
Installed a Rival full aluminum skid plate and the Mcnasty inner fender guards.
Fit and finish was excellent .
Both easy to install and super high quality.
Polaris is one class action away from inner fender guards and full skids.
That stupid egg crate design under your feet looks like it was engineered to catch sticks !
Why the factory skid isn't another 5sq feet bigger to protect the riders is beyond me.

·
Jay
55 Posts
Which one, Axiom or McNasty, protects better and installs easiest? Are there others?
I can only speak to the McNasty and they install very easy. Took me 20 minutes to install using the self tapping screws. They provide several different mounting options as you see if you watch his videos. They seem very solid and I suspect they will do what they are intended to do very well. After seeing a few of these branch intrusion threads now I wouldn't ride without them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My wife got lucky a few weekends ago. Scared the crap out of me. If I didn't have a broken ankle already I would have been driving and it would have got me good. 20190712_190756.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have considered putting mineing belt on mine somehow but I will be checking out some vendors my 5 year old rides with me so I have to have something I can't bare this thought

·
Registered
725 Posts
Does anybody make just a skid plate attachment for directly under the driver and passenger floorboards? I just order some of the mcnasty firewall guards, but not sure on the floorboard part. Mineing belt is on my mind unless I can find something

21 - 40 of 47 Posts