Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been having some issues with my RZR slowly draining the battery over time. I replaced the battery with a Odyssey 925. I also added a Battery tender to maintain in between rides. I have noticed if i dont use the maintainer after a few rides the battery will discharge and i will start getting the low voltage light. I have checked the battery after its been fully charged and while the machine is running it is receiving 14~ volts.

So as far as i can tell the machine is charging the battery while running but it is still slowly draining on me. I have an SSV overhead stereo that i use while riding and a 4500 pound Polaris winch, which i don't use very often at all.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
What does your in dash voltmeter read while going slow? Is it charging enough. 14 plus volts or down to 12. Not sure how slow, slow is but might try the slow riding in low range to keep the r's up so it can charge. Watch the dash volt read out.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Are you sure that none of your accessories are drawing power while the key is turned off?

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When i first installed the SSV it was drawing power and killed my stock battery. I wired the SSV into the ignition and haven't had issues since. So i guess i kind of assumed everything was fine. The only other accessory is the winch and i never had any issues with dead battery before the SSV, when the winch was my only accessory.

I will edit the title of my thread as it is misleading, The battery is slowly draining while riding, not while riding slowly.

Even if i don't use the maintainer in between rides, the machine always starts. It is after riding a while when the issue seems to happen and the lo voltage comes up on the screen.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Ok so then back to what Sandblster said, what is your voltage while running/driving?

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tested the battery while running and it was reading in the 14s. A few times when i have had this issue i would test the battery when i get home and it would read a lot lower. Then after re charging the battery it would read normal again in the 14s. All readings while running.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,109 Posts
Sounds like it's about time for a new voltage regulator, or stator... but check all the wiring in between first, make sure nothing is getting overly hot or shorting out anywhere...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been testing it while the machine is running and it always shows me a reading of at least 14v. After a day of riding and having issues where the LO voltage reminder pops up on the dash i have taken it home and did another test while running this time reading much lower. I am not exactly an electrical guru, but something seems amiss here.

How can i monitor the voltage while riding? There is no option on the dash for that. Maybe i am having intermittent issues where it is losing a connection while riding and not charging?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Every RZR has a dash panel, one option is voltage read out. Check your manual to find it. Without that information just shooting in the dark. I suspect when you are running slow it is not charging enough to carry the load. To find out watch dash volt readings when going slow with a heavy draw.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
How can i monitor the voltage while riding? There is no option on the dash for that. Maybe i am having intermittent issues where it is losing a connection while riding and not charging?
Push the button on the speedo, scroll through the options till you get to the voltage read out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2012 xp 900 doesn't have a voltage read out that you can actively monitor, you can only see the voltage when it gets low enough to display low voltage. I have the same issue. when running i tested the stator and its only putting out 9.4 volts A/C and 40 when throttled up to 5000. according to rm stator its bad.

I left a volt meter hooked up to the battery while running. and it consistently dropped in voltage

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My machine does not have a volt read out on the display. I'm starting to wonder if it's an issue with my battery?

I am not the best with electronics so learning as I go.

I ran the machine for 30 minutes today and monitored the voltage on my multimeter. Not riding just idling.

The battery (pc925) was fully charged had been sitting on battery tender.

When I started the machine, for the first while the voltage stayed in the high 12s but within a few seconds it started reading around 14.5 (that would give me the assumption it is charging) I let it idle for a while to let the fan kick in I went and checked once the fan kicked in and it dropped back down to the 12s (not charging?)

It seems like with a fully charged battery it is charging initially and then it stops charging shortly after I start riding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts