Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone get burned buying a used Rzr? What kind of problems did you have and were you informed before you bought it by the owner?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyone get burned buying a used Rzr? What kind of problems did you have and were you informed before you bought it by the owner?
"Bad Experience" is subjective. If you know what you want, what it's worth and what "issues" you can deal with you really can't go wrong. Some people consider a 3 yr old car brand new, others won't buy a new car if it has more than a mile on it. It's all about how picky you are and how hard you are willing to look. Some sellers are honest, others not so much. If you have any doubt about your ability to pick a winner buy new.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I bought used and had no issues so far. Well ball joints but extended warranty covered that.

Later

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say if you bought a used RZR under the impression that it was running good and it brakes down on you.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Bought a used one also.... just what I call the norm.... replaced bearings, bushings and such.. normal wear items. I am pleased.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I don't buy used.
I want to be the one to cause the problems.
I also don't have the stress of thinking when it breaks down that the original owner knew about the issue and did not tell me.

Doug

·
Registered
697 Posts
Bought one xp new when they came out, and one xp used. The 4k I saved on the used one helps me sleep just fine at night. I did my due diligence and went though it with a fine tooth comb. For 4k i can make a lot of repairs should it need it. If I put them side by side you would not know which is which.

Brother also bought a used one for 2k less then a new one.

I think a lot depends on if your mechanically inclined or not.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
i'd be fine with anything except major things such as motor, transmission, transfer case, diff failure.

ball joints, bearings, and bushings are wear items but are things you should be able to check before you buy. it literally takes 10 minutes to look all of that over. if they're worn out, its not a deal breaker. you just have to decide the cost to replace and see if thats worked into the sale price. you'll always have those that buy something used for 30% of what it costs new that still expect to have a brand new perfect machine. it doesn't work like that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Literally JUST bought a used one from the dealer - 2011 800 S LE and after inspecting the tires closely, bearings, bushings, a short drive in the parking lot (small parking lot though) - got a 2 yr warranty...it came fully loaded with mods...knew the previous owner (that I found comforting)....but as soon as I got it off the trailer and up to 30 mph or so on the way to the trail, drive shaft was knocking around making a bad sounding noise...

It was such a downer...but I they SUPPOSEDLY fixed the problem within the week, and im picking it up today...worst case scenario is that these jokers are dragging their feet on replacing either the u-joint, drive shaft, or something cause in my opinion it has a bit too much play (as compared to my brothers 2010 rzr which has very little play).

The whole ordeal gave me a bad taste in my mouth...but assuming they fix it fine and correct their oversight, I will still be happy with the purchase...

Doesnt say much for their "75 point inspection" really...but people do make mistakes and oversights (even though previous owner told them about this noise upon turning it in to upgrade to a 900)...but I am remaining patient assuming they will correct the problem and provide good future service, cause the folks I know say they have done them all good in previous years...

But this is probably a minor repair issue...I can imagine that for some, you could buy something then have like engine failure of some type..transmission...something more major...and that would bite the big one...so far Im not worried though...minor issue...just annoying...but I still tend to personally value buying used, saving the cash, even if it means the occassional inconvenience factor....

Also, I wonder if people have ever got "burned" on a new vehicle? I know enough about cars there is such a thing as a lemon...but I guess when you buy new you tend to buy a warranty...although you can get one on a used one....im guessing that the worst "getting burned" experiences are when buying either new or used and NOT buying a warranty and having some major issue that you will have to pay for soon after buying it...that would suck...

Personally I am not highly mechanically inclined..can change oil, change fuel filter, spark plugs, etc...but much more than that would not be so skilled...probably will always want a warranty until I start to learn to work on my RZR (which I would like to do over time just as a part of the experience of being an owner of one).

But in general, I was raised up told that buying new is nice, but the premium for doing so is mostly "excessive"...I have no "evidence" per se to support this notion, but it seems highly intuitive to me - but I do keep in mind that as I go through life and buy used I could get burned...I usually hedge this risk personally via buying some forms of warranties to minimize this....even with that hedging I save money vs. used...I think...?? You gotta do what you are comfortable with...I can see how many would be very uncomfortable buying used...perhaps even one day after I am burned I will refuse doing so further?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts