Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many are reporting backfiring, others are not. Although they are fuel injected, I wonder if there is a correlation with elevation and ambient air temperature like what would be typical with a conventional carburetor.

If Polaris sets them up lean to help pass emmisions or whatever, wouldn't there be less likelyhood of backfiring when ridden at higher altitudes and/or warmer air temps?

So to explore this theory, please reply if your 570 backfires or not, and what elevations and air temps (ie warm, hot, or cold) you typically experience the backfire (or don't). - thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
mine backfires once in a awhile when going from wot back down to idle. i live on the coast of NC so warm, humid and sea level.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
The lower in elevation you are, the more likely it will backfire because it will run leaner. Higher elevations will richen it up thus less lean backfiring. The temp will play into that (colder = leaner), but don't think it plays into it as much as the elevation does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
many years ago in the winter when the ice was right we would run the dirt bikes down the river.it was cold and we had to put bigger jets in our 125 two stroke yamahas to smooth them out . iam 60 now and due to my body crapping out i just traded my quad in for a new 2012 rzr 570 12 weeks ago.mine is popping on deceleration.more so in low gear.just joined this forum and i see its a big problem along with the major heat problem.they are related. gimmee the old days and just turn the mixture screw a little or re jet it. simple.easy.cheap. i am in upstate new york at about 200 ft above sea level.i remember, i think [my minds crapping out also] in the old days...if they run lean they run hot & they die early.is it gonna pop worse in the cold? hope to have it squared away by then .too bad after 10 grand i gotta deal with this. i am sure we will figure it out. good luck

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
It will pop more in the cold just like your old bikes running leaner in the cold and having to rejet. No different. Its actually easier these days. You don't even need to get your hands dirty or even need tools to fix it. Just costs more. Contact Nate at Alba (he's a vendor here) and see what he has. They have a fuel controller pre-programmed with a fuel map to correct the problem with the 570's. Its just plug and play in the factory wiring harness. If you want to change the fuel mixture above and beyond that, its just a matter of pressing buttons. You won't even smell like gas when your done...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I thought that I would add that my last ride was up at 6800+ feet altitude @ 90 degrees and I still got the pop when I let off the throttle. Headed out tomorrow at about 4500 feet and 90-100 degrees so it will backfire In sure. New fuel controller is in the works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there a air temp sensor on the intake? Should adjust automatically to changes in temp, and elevation for that matter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I thought the main advantage of having EFI vs carb, was the EFI would self adjust for the changes in elevation. Since the EFI is set lean, as you change elevation it will keep it lean. I live at 6400 ft and ride mostly in that elevation, I have the back firing issue like a lot of others. I have tried different plugs and it has helped some. I will be ordering a ALBA EFI unit as my next goodie for my ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts