Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it would be a bad idea to run Aviation fuel in the 2019 non-turbo:devil 1k? it has a blue tint to it and is 100 LL would anyone forsee hotter cylinder temperatures because of that or destroying fuel lines and the motor? The upsides would be a higher octane fuel and aviation fuel doesn't go bad like regular fuel does so, therefore, no clogged injectors. Out here Aviation fuel is only like 30 cents more than supreme so money savings wouldn't be a big thing either. Thank you to anyone who has tried it and thanks in advance to any mechanics.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
They are ZERO benefits from running aviation fuel. The down sides are several: higher octane than required actually hurts performance, leaded fuels can destroy O2 sensors, and higher cost.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I’m a pilot and aviation mechanic and a worldwide tech for Rotax engine questions. Do not run Avgas in your Rzr. The 100LL is full of lead. A gas has a lot more lead in it than our old gas decades ago with lead. First a full synthetic oil will not suspend the lead and it will fall out through out your engine. Second that lead will gum up parts in this engine in as little as 100 hours. It’s more expensive than premium auto fuel by quite a bit.
There are more reasons not to, but I hope this is enough to keep you from damaging your engine. Aircraft owners would like to stop using 100LL fuel to, but other than the newer Swift fuel there are no good alternatives.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Aviation fuel could either be Jet fuel (kerosene, jetA1) or Avgas.

Your probably thinking Avgas. You can get VP racing gas. The low end starts at about $9.00 a gallon.

Premium unleaded, non ethanol gas can be found locally for about $4.00 a gallon. Or lower.

Check here for local stations in your state. PureGas

I'd use a local retailer of ethanol free, premium gas before spending the coin on racing/Avgas/aviation fuel.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,727 Posts
They are ZERO benefits from running aviation fuel. The down sides are several: higher octane than required actually hurts performance, leaded fuels can destroy O2 sensors, and higher cost.

I’m a pilot and aviation mechanic and a worldwide tech for Rotax engine questions. Do not run Avgas in your Rzr. The 100LL is full of lead. A gas has a lot more lead in it than our old gas decades ago with lead. First a full synthetic oil will not suspend the lead and it will fall out through out your engine. Second that lead will gum up parts in this engine in as little as 100 hours. It’s more expensive than premium auto fuel by quite a bit.

There are more reasons not to, but I hope this is enough to keep you from damaging your engine. Aircraft owners would like to stop using 100LL fuel to, but other than the newer Swift fuel there are no good alternatives.

This...x2 or 3... just don’t do it... if for whatever reason you absolutely feel like you need a higher octane gasoline ( you probably don’t)... Run an unleaded ethanol free race gas

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you I appreciate your input that really helps. I thought most of it through just wanted some outside input from Mechanics like yourself. Thank you all for the responses. Yeah, I wish we could use some better fuel in our Cessna but its what's out there now.

·
Registered
849 Posts
100LL is Low lead, generally less lead than "race gas". 2 grams per gallon.
We use 100LL is a few modified toys, high compression, high boost engines. 100LL is about 104 octane. It stays fresh for a very long time.

It is fine with fuel lines ect. It will create issues with cat convertors over time, though it would take a pretty long time. IMO its a GREAT fuel.

It will not damage your engine at all.
But you will see no benefit in a stock engine other than staying fresh. And though it is very cheap for what it is, it is still more expensive then 91 octane.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Stay with the pump gas in a stock non turbo machine.

I ran Avgas in my banshee for a while and really liked it but would not use it in my Rzr.

I am mostly running my Turbo S on my AA level 4 tune. I really like the level 4 because it makes really good power but the fuel cost is lower.

I am mixing one gallon of VP MS-109 race fuel to four gallons of 93 octane pump gas.

Kinda my happy medium between performance and cost.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
unless your valves are pinging, there's no need for the additional octane in the first place. The extreme higher octane will burn slower and probably hurt your performance. if you're trying to avoid your fuel going bad, spend a few bucks on some fuel stabilizer, or if you want the race gas smell you can go with some ethanol free VP.

anyone know what kind of compression these engines are running? NA vs turbo?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
two questions, I thought the 100 LL meant Low Lead so there is still more lead in AVgas than regular pump gas? The second question can the new maverick run the AVgas because they have a Rotax engine? is the Rotax engine in the Can-am similar to Rotax in airplanes?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
100LL does mean low lead by verbiage, but is far higher than the lead that used to be in our old auto fuel. I have been dealing and using 100LL since 1980 in aircraft engines. Anyone that says 100LL will not leave lead deposits all over the engine and especially the pistons and heads hanever dismantled an engineer from long time Avgas fuel. Avgas 100LL is one of the reasons many aircraft need a top end job before they hit TBO (time before overhaul). It will get on the plugs and in the oil. Oil WILL NOT remove all lead and it gets left as deposits in the engine. A semi synthetic or full petroleum oil must be used because a full synthetic will not suspend the lead and it will make an even bigger mess in he engine.oil change times in an aircraft using 100LL is cut in half because of leading. Take a look at the videos and see what happens with 100LL when used with the writing g oil and failing to follow proper oil change intervals. I have been dealing with this on aircraft for decades. Smart aircraft folks will use some Decalin to help alleviate some of this, but it is not a cure all.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,727 Posts
No offense meant to the OP at all... but I’ve seen this desire to run aviation fuel in many forms of Motorsports...and, even putting the absolutely true facts that Roger has presented aside, it makes no sense to me to run a fuel that is specifically designed for an entirely different aircraft engine, at flight elevation, in a land vehicle with a completely different application and functionality, especially since there are several different specifically designed options for the application you’re actually wanting to run the fuel in. Do you not think if the Aviation fuel really had a performance benefit that it would be sold as a Hi Performance race fuel as well? It’s not. VP or Sunoco doesn’t relabel that stuff and sling it to the racing community, they have specifically designed performance fuels for that, and very many specific applications to choose from.

91 Octane pump gas has more performance capability that most give it credit for, and it’s more efficient to use the lower octane to its performance capabilities, than to underperform the higher octane. Just dumping 117 octane fuel in a vehicle that runs fine on 87. Yields absolutely zero performance benefit, and beyond that, there is much more to selecting the absolutely correct fuel for an extremely hi performance application that requires it, than just the Octane rating.

“RV Cam, double hump heads, Muncie 4 speed, and Aviation Fuel! It just can’t be beat damn it!”
-Billy Joe Hotrodder, 1974.

I think that’s my rant for the day lol

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
two questions, I thought the 100 LL meant Low Lead so there is still more lead in AVgas than regular pump gas? The second question can the new maverick run the AVgas because they have a Rotax engine? is the Rotax engine in the Can-am similar to Rotax in airplanes?
Bottom line - don't put AV in any engine! There are ZERO benefits and multiple down sides.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
91 Octane pump gas has more performance capability that most give it credit for, and it’s more efficient to use the lower octane to its performance capabilities, than to underperform the higher octane. Just dumping 117 octane fuel in a vehicle that runs fine on 87. Yields absolutely zero performance benefit,.......
I will add this: Running higher than required octane will HURT performance. In racing we ONLY run as high an octane as is needed to prevent detonation. Higher octane fuel contains less BTUs and have a higher specific gravity, meaning it burns slower and produces less power. The ONLY advantage to higher octane fuel is that us raises the temperature at which the fuel will self ignite (detonation).

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The only reason that 100LL has the tetraethyl lead is to raise the octane and in the older designed Continental and Lycoming engines was to help lube some parts, but that comes at a cost with leading in the engine The US tried to have a moratorium on 100LL in 2010 to not use it any more, but the fuel industry lacked the knowledge to come up with a 100 octane unleaded fuel so it has persisted. The industry now has a fuel called Swift fuel,and its octane is 94 unleaded.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts