Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a dealer that most are around 60 to 62mph, seems mine hits the limiter at around 57? Is this the average for stock? I recently purchased mine about 2 weeks ago.... so assuming its a gen3.

E.Z.

·
Back in the Saddle
4,063 Posts
I purchased mine about a month ago...

I've hit 62+ a couple times... with my clutch spacer removed. If you still have the spacer, that's probably why you're hitting 57 tops...

Here's a thread I made with a walk-through to remove it. Some people have said it's BAD to remove it, but there's no evidence to support that, and there's 100's of people, like myself, that have been running without it from day 1, and had NO problems!

My dealer told me it was just a governor, because they decided 55MPH was fast enough for a side-by-side...

http://www.rzrforums.net/projects-how/1306-clutch-spacer-removal-right-way-pics.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha, nice walk through, I've read both sides of this spacer removal and may end up doing it as well. Worse case I blow a belt right heh? Although I am looking to add a exhaust, intake and clutch kit eventually so may wait and do it then.

E.Z.

·
Back in the Saddle
4,063 Posts
Gotcha, nice walk through, I've read both sides of this spacer removal and may end up doing it as well. Worse case I blow a belt right heh? Although I am looking to add a exhaust, intake and clutch kit eventually so may wait and do it then.

E.Z.
That's exactly what I've been saying...

WORST CASE, it costs you $50... lol

Well worth the months, and 100's of miles you may put on it!

·
Back in the Saddle
4,063 Posts
I've gotten 55 and wasn't at the top end, the only mod. is 26" tires. One of these days I'll see what it will do wide open.
Hopefully you weren't basing that on your gauges, and used GPS, right?

With the bigger tires, your speedo isn't accurate and reads lower than the actual speed you're going...

J

·
0 Posts
stock, my speedometer would hit 63 - 64 max. Dont know if it has the clutch spacer in it or not. I tend to think they left it out after everthing I have read. Now, I have 26" bighorns on 14" itp beadlock wheels and 57-58 is all I've seen out of the speedometer.

·
Back in the Saddle
4,063 Posts
stock, my speedometer would hit 63 - 64 max. Dont know if it has the clutch spacer in it or not. I tend to think they left it out after everthing I have read. Now, I have 26" bighorns on 14" itp beadlock wheels and 57-58 is all I've seen out of the speedometer.
Even though it's indicating slower.... with a bigger tire, you're probably going the same speed, or close to it! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you buy yours used, or did the dealer take it off? I doubt they would remove it without being asked for legal reasons...but If it was hitting that with the spacer on thats awesome.

E.Z.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't got to check mine against a gps yet. I was to busy driving to look at the stupid thing. I just got one of those Lowrance Baja 540c GPS's but haven't got it mounted yet. Maybe then I can check stuff while I've got my hand full of driving.

J

·
0 Posts
Did you buy yours used, or did the dealer take it off? I doubt they would remove it without being asked for legal reasons...but If it was hitting that with the spacer on thats awesome.

E.Z.
Bought it new in october. Its a gen 2. My neighbor (stacrzr) bought his new in december, also gen 2, and mine tended to be faster. His speedometer would hit 55 -57 but i think our last ride he said he hit 60 on a short stretch of pavement we had to ride on. We could only reason that his had the spacer and mine didn't because the only difference between them is the color - mine being red and his green. If i find time this weekend, I'll take the clutch cover off and just see if I have the spacer or not.

J

·
0 Posts
Guys just a word of caution about playing around at top speeds. Prior to me putting new tires and wheels on, I decided to run the pavement as fast as i could not worrying about wearing my stock tires out. At about 56, I went into a violent judder bouncing and chirping on the pavement. It caught me by complete suprise and it worried me greatly to what was wrong with my rzr. Couldn't find anything wrong with it untill i put the new wheels on and seen all the mud caked inside the stock rims. The mud through off the wheel balance and it didn't ease into it or behave like you'll find with your car. So Keep em clean.

·
Back in the Saddle
4,063 Posts
Bought it new in october. Its a gen 2. My neighbor (stacrzr) bought his new in december, also gen 2, and mine tended to be faster. His speedometer would hit 55 -57 but i think our last ride he said he hit 60 on a short stretch of pavement we had to ride on. We could only reason that his had the spacer and mine didn't because the only difference between them is the color - mine being red and his green. If i find time this weekend, I'll take the clutch cover off and just see if I have the spacer or not.
You just nailed it...

Yours was red, so that explains why it was faster...

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you did not wan2 melt off the spacer would you have to actually break the spacer in two? i really dnt wan2 break it cause i like my parts in mint condition. thanks for the answers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts