Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an old discussion of ATV gate widths vs RZR width. They were asking specifically about the gate width, but there was no definitive answer. I just have a general question of the amount of play (in general) in gate widths when you take a 50" RZR through them. Are your tires rubbing the posts as you go through or is there some play? I would think that if they are EXACTLY 50", they probably don't want even trail RZRs going through.

I just bought a RZR with 1" wider tires, so it appears that I will be 51" (I don't know exactly, because it is now 55" with 2" spacers.

I live in Colorado.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think they 50ish”. I think some are a tad over 50”. A stock trail Rzr is a little over 50”. I’ll find and post a video a guy made who rides in AZ. He shows his trail Rzr going thru 50” gates.

2016 Polaris Rzr EPS Trail Fox Edition

·
Registered
437 Posts
Up in Woodland park I ran into gates that where dang near 50", my 2011 had popo sliders on it and I could not fit through, I was around 51".

The gates around Buna Vista are much wider about 54" I would guess.
Most of riding areas do have bypasses to around the gates, whats the purpose?? who knows. I ride with persons driving S's and 1000 turbos and very seldom do we have any issues.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Paiute trail in Utah has 50" restriction gates. They are tight. If my stock 50" RZR is a little off camber it will rub the tubing at shoulder height area.

A lot of times there are other legal routes around the restricted areas of the trail.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't see what State you are riding in but here in PA they vary quite a bit. In fact in the same area they vary. For instance in Potter County the Denton Hill area near Cherry Springs I encountered one gate that my 50 inch barely fit through yet at another access point to the same "trails" and I say that sarcastically because the trails are mostly pretty wide roads we snowmobile on and a full size truck could travel on any of them so why they are restricted to 50 inch is beyond me. Anyway back my point... at another gate you could fit a 60 inch through with no problem. I only rode there one time because I found it quite boring riding on those dirt roads seeing all kinds of real trails leading off them with No ATV signs at all of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Colorado. I just called the Montrose Public Lands Office and they said without pause that they are 50". I suppose that they are hit and miss, but it makes it difficult to plan without knowing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They sure as heck aren't standardized around here. There is one I'm aware of in Central MN that is legal for Class II (60") but gets a bit tricky with an S1000. The way it is set up requires you to turn while part way through the gate to avoid a huge tree in front of you. I don't think a 4 seat would be able to do it without squashing a door against the post, despite it being technically legal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe the metal ones installed by the local atv club are 51" wide on the Grand Mesa. I understand there were numerous complaints made to the forest service by hunters that they could not get their loaded machines through the uprights so the atv club (which maintains and builds most of the trails for the forest service) was told to spread the top portion of the uprights. So now the tire width is still 50" but the upper machine body can be wider. It seems that each federal agency and local jurisdiction interprets the 50" rule as they deem appropriate and source their restrictors accordingly. I believe they also enforce those regulations differently so it ends up being 'rider beware'.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I believe the metal ones installed by the local atv club are 51" wide on the Grand Mesa. I understand there were numerous complaints made to the forest service by hunters that they could not get their loaded machines through the uprights so the atv club (which maintains and builds most of the trails for the forest service) was told to spread the top portion of the uprights. So now the tire width is still 50" but the upper machine body can be wider. It seems that each federal agency and local jurisdiction interprets the 50" rule as they deem appropriate and source their restrictors accordingly. I believe they also enforce those regulations differently so it ends up being 'rider beware'.
Yes, it is definitely about enforcement as well. I rode Penny Pines/Horse Mountain last year our here in Mendocino County and all of the rules and websites clearly state 50” maximum restrictions on all trails. There are a few forest service roads but not enough to be worth sticking to. I decided to ride with a buddy who was on a Banshee and first thing when we get there we meet the ranger. I ask him if I can try the trails with my RZR even though I am 70”. He said, “Be my guest” and then proceeded to tell me all the trails he thinks I may be able to squeeze down. Hell of a guy. I had to turn around on a few due to tree width, but def rode quite a few “50” only” trails.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts