Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
And...here's a real use for Rivet Nuts to hold the skid system on and never have stripped out bolt holes in the frame tubing!!!

Pirate

·
Vendor
2,110 Posts
That is great! I wrote to Factory UTV a couple of months ago and got a response that the General wasn't in their plans at the time.

Sure are glad to see them coming...I'll order as soon as I can!!!

Pirate
We were fortunate enough to have Jon from UTV Guide drop one by the shop last week. These things are super cool, the Swiss army knife of UTV's. :clap:

·
Registered
118 Posts
And...here's a real use for Rivet Nuts to hold the skid system on and never have stripped out bolt holes in the frame tubing!!!

Pirate
Hey Pirate, are you saying that the FactoryUTV skid is mounted with riv nuts or that is the best way? More info?

Thanks,
Jeremy

KindleFire using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Jeremy,

The Factory UTV skid set will come with the domed washers and "self threading" 1/4 x 20 bolts 1 1/4" long.

Some of the bolts will reuse bolt holes from whatever the existing skid is, others will require drilling a new hole.

Unfortunately, over time, if you take the skid off for maintenance/repairs or just to clean all the mud and junk that gets on top of the skid...the bolt holes will get loose and the bolts no longer hold. Then you have to do something.

If one uses Rivet Nuts...yup, which you have to supply...then there is no problem with the bolt holes going bad.

Now, the Factory UTV skid on my 09 RZ 800 was put on by the dealer and service just guessed at the center of the hole in the skid and drilled. So nearly all my domed washers are slotted or worse to get the bolt in.

So some instructions on how will do mine on the General.

Remove the OEM skid and keep the bolts and domed washers to be reused, if any.

Place the Factory UTV skid in place and install any domed washers and bolts for which you are reusing existing bolt holes drilled in the frame. Make sure the Factory UTV skid is tight up against the frame, using a floor jack if necessary.

Start with the center bolts first and work to both ends and the outside simultaneously.

To install a bolt correctly....

Use tape to hold the domed washer in the skid indent.

Now drill a 1/4" hole through the hole in the domed washer. This correctly locates the hole. If you're not using Rivet Nuts drill a 7/32 hole for the self threading 1/4" bolts

To use Rivet Nuts, now remove the domed washer, drill the hole out to 3/8" and install the Rivet Nut, using the correct crimping tool. Replace the domed washer and install a 1/4 x 20 bolt long enough to extend through the Rivet Nut and then just a bit. This will keep debris and water out of the top of the Rivet Nut.

Before installing the 1/4 x 20 bolt, coat the bolt with a thin coat of anti-seize to prevent corrosion. This way the bolts can be removed many times with out breaking or stripping the bolt and Rivet Nut.

Work your way though all the new bolts. Then remove the existing bolts that were reused, open the hole, install a Rivet Nut.

And you're done. A proper, professional installation that will not give you grief for as long as you own your General, and probably as long as the machine lasts.

JMHO

Pirate

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really wish someone would put out a UHMW skid plate for the General 1000. I haven't crawled under a RZR S 1000 to compare it to a General but it has to be close. I really don't want to have to build my own which I could do. I know there are some parts starting to trickle out but I skid plate is a must for me. So to all the Venders and Manufacturers.... just like happened in that movie..... If you build it they will come.
We've got the full skid package for the General ready to go, with UHMW Skid plates, A-Arm Guards and Rock Sliders. Will post pricing and full info in a bit. We introduced UHMW Armor to the UTV market with our RZR 800 skids many years ago. Today you'll find them being used, abused and relied upon by most of the top teams in UTV off-Road racing.

That's freakn awesome. Thanks, I will now be able to really ride this thing and not be afraid of the trail.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
General,

This is the one I bought off Amazon.

Astro 1442 13" Nut/Thread Hand Riveter Kit

With a pack of 14/ x 20 and a pack of 5/16 x 18 rivet nuts the total
was $78 with my Amazon Prime.

And NO, I don't buy cheap tools...I want something that will do the job, do it will and last!

Pirate

by Astro Pneumatic Tool

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Stuart:
Have you received the rivet nut tool yet? If not when you do let me know what the measurements are and if they are the same, I have spare mandrels for most of the sizes. I check out the Astro tool and see if I can get any information online.
Les

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Les,

Got an e-mail from Amazon saying the delivery was attempted yesterday and that it will be waiting at the post office. The one I chose comes with six mandrels. 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10/32, 1/4x20 and 5/16x18.

At first I was a bit bummed not to get 3/8", but then thought, where would I use a Rivet Nut that big? Probably nowhere.

Thanks for the offer and I'll see what I have waiting at the PO.

Thanks,

Pirate

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Stuart:
I went online and looked at the unit you bought, the mandrels are completely different. Now with that being said it looks like I will have to sacrifice some of my beer money and get a new rivet tool, I like the looks of the vertical handles and hydraulic to boot. You I think the 3/8" set nut would just take up space in the tool box. Good find, thanks.
Les

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Les,

We get home tomorrow, and hopefully before the PO closes and get a month's worth of mail.

So...I'll look at the tool and let you know what I think.

Yeah, I've got more scrap to test a couple of Rivet Nuts on....

Pirate

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I really wish someone would put out a UHMW skid plate for the General 1000. I haven't crawled under a RZR S 1000 to compare it to a General but it has to be close. I really don't want to have to build my own which I could do. I know there are some parts starting to trickle out but I skid plate is a must for me. So to all the Venders and Manufacturers.... just like happened in that movie..... If you build it they will come.
We've got the full skid package for the General ready to go, with UHMW Skid plates, A-Arm Guards and Rock Sliders. Will post pricing and full info in a bit. We introduced UHMW Armor to the UTV market with our RZR 800 skids many years ago. Today you'll find them being used, abused and relied upon by most of the top teams in UTV off-Road racing.

I see you have the info and pricing posted to your website now. Are you offering any forum discounts? I also noticed at checkout that some of the old RZR coupon codes still work!!

Thanks
Paul

·
Vendor
2,110 Posts

I see you have the info and pricing posted to your website now. Are you offering any forum discounts? I also noticed at checkout that some of the old RZR coupon codes still work!!

Thanks
Paul
Yes we still offer RZR forum member discounts on every product we manufacture ourselves.

Product ----- Coupon Code
General Ultimate kits - general-ult
General Skidplate Kits - general-skid
General A-arms - general-aarm
General Sliders - general-sliders

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)

Thanks
Paul
Yes we still offer RZR forum member discounts on every product we manufacture ourselves.

Thanks. I'm still debating on the Ultimate Kit or just the rock sliders for now. With the crappy low Canadian dollar and the bank charges for exchanging currency, the skid will cost me about $400 more than your list price.

Also with the low dollar, the duty & taxes at the border seems to have increased. I got stung on a delivery last week!!

I don't mind spending my hard earned money, but I hate giving it away to the Government........just because!! :rm_thumbdown:

There's a few new General owners over on the General Forum interested in the UHMW Armor. You mind if I share your codes there? I'm sure some of them are RZR Forum defectors!!

·
Vendor
2,110 Posts

Thanks
Paul

Thanks. I'm still debating on the Ultimate Kit or just the rock sliders for now. With the crappy low Canadian dollar and the bank charges for exchanging currency, the skid will cost me about $400 more than your list price.

Also with the low dollar, the duty & taxes at the border seems to have increased. I got stung on a delivery last week!!

I don't mind spending my hard earned money, but I hate giving it away to the Government........just because!! :rm_thumbdown:

There's a few new General owners over on the General Forum interested in the UHMW Armor. You mind if I share your codes there? I'm sure some of them are RZR Forum defectors!!
Yeah we are hearing that more often now from our Canadian brothers... yes feel free to share the codes.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Would love to see a roof and windshield hit the market soon. Parents just put a deposit on a General and don't want to pay for the factory stuff.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts