Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: Bolt-in Dash Bar

Thought id post up some pics of the original dash bar we were working on. This was before we machined the tube clamps to mount over the roll cage bungs, increasing the strength of these connection points and giving a much cleaner look.

·
KC
769 Posts
Looks great, But will it work with the Polaris Lock_n_ride windshield??

·
Registered
632 Posts
Not trying to bash your product, but I have this same bar (without the LED light mounts) that I bought from you awhile back (couple months or so). The bar is great. Heavy duty and strong. I feel it would be a big help in a roll over or crash instead of just relying on just the factory cage to support the car.

One issue though. All of the bolts that came with it are rusting. I thought they were a stainless bolt? They are really rusting bad so it may be something you guys want to look in to. I have a feeling I am going to have to replace that mounting hardware in the near future.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Not trying to bash your product, but I have this same bar (without the LED light mounts) that I bought from you awhile back (couple months or so). The bar is great. Heavy duty and strong. I feel it would be a big help in a roll over or crash instead of just relying on just the factory cage to support the car.

On issue though. All of the bolts that came with it are rusting. I thought they were a stainless bolt? They are really rusting bad so it may be something you guys want to look in to. I have a feeling I am going to have to replace that mounting hardware in the near future.
The bolts themselves cannot rust they are stainless. The rust would be coming from the tube clamp threads where the powder coat does not cover. Same would happen with black oxide bolts. I recommend removing them and re installing with anti seize lubricant or compound. This will help prevent rust and also possible galling of the softer SS threads. We've updated our installation instructions to include this step.

Jeremy

·
Registered
632 Posts
Jeremy,
thanks for the info. However, I did try backing out a couple of the bolts last weekend to spray some lubricant on them to clean them up a bit and remove the rust. But when I did so, the bolts started to twist. Kind of like they weren't unscrewing, but turning against themselves and I was afraid they were going to break off. Can you guys send me out some new bolts?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Jeremy,
thanks for the info. However, I did try backing out a couple of the bolts last weekend to spray some lubricant on them to clean them up a bit and remove the rust. But when I did so, the bolts started to twist. Kind of like they weren't unscrewing, but turning against themselves and I was afraid they were going to break off. Can you guys send me out some new bolts?
I just talked with Larry and i think we'll start including both sets of bolts to give guys the choice between black oxide and stainless. There is really no perfect solution. With the stainless they won't rust, but they are a softer material and if you don't have the tube clamps aligned well enough, or try and over torque them you could start to gall the threads. This was a concern but we felt with this application they don't need to be super tight where thread galling would be an issue. We post tap all of the tube clamps after powder coat. We've also enlarged the holes on the outer half of the clamp to help with getting the threads started if you don't have them perfectly aligned. Black oxide bolts will be stronger, but will eventually rust themselves. If you need them i can send you a set of whichever bolts you prefer. With both i recommend using anti seize.

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
yes, that's is the one. i have one being shipped to me, should get it this week. with russ' pricing on tribal whips i feel that alot of the members will be buying his product. could you check into it and let me know? i would purchase your product if i knew it would work with the 30" version of this bar
thanks
james

·
Registered
632 Posts
I guess if the bolts were to break, I could try to drill them out? The brackets are threaded though. I wonder if I ought to leave them alone.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
I guess if the bolts were to break, I could try to drill them out? The brackets are threaded though. I wonder if I ought to leave them alone.
If it were mine id leave it be. After you wash RZR id spray some WD40 over the bolts and wipe clean. This will keep down any rust coming from the threads.

Jeremy

41 - 60 of 67 Posts