Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I get a lot of questions about whether someone needs a clutch kit or not. Someone on a forum will tell a person he does need one just because he changed tires or made some other change.

When you call me at Hunterworks and ask if you need one of the Dalton clutch kits we sell because you bought larger tires or whatever I ask a simple question. What do you do with this machine?

A simple answer is, if you put your foot to the floor then you will benefit from a properly calibrated clutch and none any better than the Dalton kit.

If you say you rock crawl, or do slow technical riding then there is a debate. These guys are more concerned about belt grip not about max performance when you floor it.

Due to the style of clutch the Polaris has where it squeezes the belt to get you moving then the slow riders have a harder time keeping the vehicle from slipping a belt.

Since most not all but most stock clutch calibrations are usually low rpm due to heavier flyweights I normally tell this guy if you are going to slow technical riding, you might should keep OEM

Now anyone who puts the pedal to the metal will certainly see benefit from a clutch kit. Fast trail riders and especially duners will benefit.

I am adding this part on 12/4/16 If your vehicle came with 26 or 27 " tire and you are going up to say 30 or taller and you are gonna be doing faster riding then the clutch kit would benefit but you are primarily doing slow technical riding, either go back down in tire size or consider a gear reduction otherwise you will probably always have clutch issues.

I guess the main purpose here is to let you know, the need for a clutch kit is not black and white, there is a lot of grey.

Feel free to call me to discuss any needs you have on clutching.

http://www.hunterworks.com/dalton_polaris_clutch_kits

Todd

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Todd that's an excellent write up! Thank you for that, that will help a lot of people with unanswered questions.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Great info.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you Todd - for us that do more slower trail and mud riding, what do you recommend? Slippage is an issue.

If you say you rock crawl, or do slow technical riding then there is a debate. These guys are more concerned about belt grip not about max performance when you floor it.
Since most not all but most stock clutch calibrations are usually low rpm due to heavier flyweights I normally tell this guy if you are going to slow technical riding, you might should keep OEM

·
Vendor
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Todd - for us that do more slower trail and mud riding, what do you recommend? Slippage is an issue.

Get the forth coming Duraclutch and slippage is not an issue

as mentioned in the article, you might just keep oem as most kits will have some amount of higher engagement rpm therefore not as good on belt grip down low.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you, any approximate ETA on the duraclutch (week, month, 3 months)?

For mudders and slower trail riders, slippage is just expected? I used to ride 4 wheelers years ago, UTV's are new for me :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts