Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I wanted to get some info from AZ members who take their RZR on the street. I went to the DMV and they said if I wanted to drive my RZR on the street here in Phoenix I would have to register it for
“ primarily on-highway use “ and pay the actual registration cost ( about $500 ). Did anyone else register this way? Also has anyone here had issues getting pulled over in large cities like Phoenix? Thanks a ton for your input.

·
The Lone Rzr
2,459 Posts
This is all just my opinion.
The new redesigned AZ MVD is a total cluster. There have been so many complaints about UTV registration.
Not sure if your county has certain restrictions but there shouldn't be any reason to get primarily on road. I hear that all the time and you talk to someone else and the registration changes.
Would I drive down the I10 in my rzr, no.
I've been primarily off road for years, there's no way for them to tell if you've been off road or on road for so many miles. I heard they give trailer plates now so there is no "MC" in the plate. Not sure if that's over the 2500# limit.
I've rode in Havasu, Cottonwood, Sedona, Munds park, Chino Valley and Williams and never been pulled over.
But never rode in city limits of a big city like Phoenix
I just renewed my registration for $10.50

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is all just my opinion.
The new redesigned AZ MVD is a total cluster. There have been so many complaints about UTV registration.
Not sure if your county has certain restrictions but there shouldn't be any reason to get primarily on road. I hear that all the time and you talk to someone else and the registration changes.
Would I drive down the I10 in my rzr, no.
I've been primarily off road for years, there's no way for them to tell if you've been off road or on road for so many miles. I heard they give trailer plates now so there is no "MC" in the plate. Not sure if that's over the 2500# limit.
I've rode in Havasu, Cottonwood, Sedona, Munds park, Chino Valley and Williams and never been pulled over.
But never rode in city limits of a big city like Phoenix
I just renewed my registration for $10.50
In January I bought a 2020 Pro XP4 and went to MVD to register it. I had decided since I almost never used my ‘16 XP4 1K on the street AND the Pro exceeded the 2500 lb threshold (costing over $500 vs $25) I’d just declare the Pro “off road only”. Not sure if the OP actually exceeded the 2500 lbs or the agent didn’t know the rules.
MVD NOW is definitely having growing pains. I bought an ATV in Utah April 30th and tried to get it registered here in AZ. I realized there is no queue for incoming calls (the usual endless hold with distorted, repetitious music). You just have to keep dialing them until you get lucky timing and someone picks up. After uploading photos of documents, I was guided through the process of Tax, Title, Registration, Plate and OHV sticker payments. It took over an hour and the temporary plate I printed out had a strange number compared to the previous 5 I’d registered. When the real plate came it had that same number, no “RV” like the rest. The month sticker was “Perm” and OHV sticker said “No Sticker”.
Recently, I tried to renew the OHV sticker for my 2017 ATV. It kept rejecting my payment online. After 45 minutes on the phone, the agent said the value of my vehicle keeps popping up as $109,000 and flagging an error, rejecting the renewal. She took my email & promised to unravel the issue, which she did the next day.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I bought and registered a Pro XP 4 in January can't remember exactly what I paid but was certainly less then $100 and I'm street legal it is a motorcycle plate. And I've drove mine to the gas station and a friend's house with no trouble. I don't know what they based the weight on but according to the service manual the dry weight is 2038lbs

·
Registered
39 Posts

I guess I was thinking of something else. It’s 1800 lbs, apparently and I recall the dealer warning me I’d be over the limit but I might tell MVD I’d be putting lighter wheels on etc. and he knew people that had paid the low fee (maybe you!)
I also thought a RZR could only be in the primarily off road category or DOT would have a say (why everything stops at 1000 cc’s, right?) Is yours primarily on-highway?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 661768
I guess I was thinking of something else. It’s 1800 lbs, apparently and I recall the dealer warning me I’d be over the limit but I might tell MVD I’d be putting lighter wheels on etc. and he knew people that had paid the low fee (maybe you!)
I also thought a RZR could only be in the primarily off road category or DOT would have a say (why everything stops at 1000 cc’s, right?) Is yours primarily on-highway?
Hey thanks for the reply. One thing that’s for sure is that they make it far too difficult to find exact information on what you can and can’t do. I hear all the time that rzr’s are street legal but they can’t be taken on the highway or that you need DOT approved tires etc and that’s all fine and dandy but where does that information exist? I have a Pro XP and I registered it for primarily on-highway because I live in the city limits of Phoenix where you don’t see rzr’s on the street very often. Might have been a waste of money ($532) but I figured I would do it for at least a year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not sure if the rules are different from county to county. Bought my XP4K last spring, not from a dealer. Took my title and bill of sale to MVS title in Apache Junction. Walked out with a street legal plate and OHV sticker. Less than $40. Have ridden in town AJ, out 60, past Superior, and lots of places in between.
With Covid, might be worth trying a third party licensing place in Phoenix? The MVD in AJ was always packed, even before the current situation. Good luck.

·
The Lone Rzr
2,459 Posts
Be careful of what you "hear".
Nothing in the books that says DOT rated tires are a must have.
Nothing says you can't be on a highway.
Nothing about having turn signals although I highly suggest them since some people don't have a clue what hand signals mean and you need them in some states like Utah.
You need, horn, rear view mirror and lighted plate and insurance.

What equipment is required to make my OHV street legal?
In order to register an OHV in Arizona, it must have the following equipment:
  • At least one brake which can be operated by hand or foot
  • Brake light
  • At least one, but not more than two, headlights which shine at least 500 feet ahead
  • At least one taillight visible for at least 500 feet to the rear
  • At least one red rear reflector, if not part of the taillight
  • License plate securely fastened to the rear of the OHV
  • License plate light
  • A horn audible from a distance of at least 200 feet
  • A muffler in good working order and in constant operation (muffler cutout, bypass or similar device prohibited)
  • Rearview mirror
  • Seat and footrests for the operator
  • Fuel tank cap
  • If you live in the Phoenix or Tucson metro areas you may also need to have your OHV emissions tested

I heard the same thing at the MVD. You can't go out to dinner in your rzr. But I'm registered primarily off road. How do they tell if you've just driven 100 miles off road and 5 miles on road? They can't.
The first few years I was only paying $4.50 and then the public safety fee came in and added $5 but I think that ended.
Not sure what kind of ticket they could even write you up for if you're on the street with primarily off road. Even if they did write me up I'm still money way ahead over the years.
Also you need an appointment now to have it done at the MVD. It's a real pain now and you'll get a half dozen different answers since the system changed.
You need to register here,
I can do all my vehicles online and renewals and even OHV stickers. And yes they sent me a new registration instead of an OHV sticker but I showed them the mistake online and they sent me the correct sticker in a couple days.
The other thing about MVD Now is it's the only way to get a refund on your plate if you sell a vehicle.

·
The Lone Rzr
2,459 Posts
ARS 28-1177 was revised, now stating an unladen weight of 2500 pounds or less
Be careful what you find on the internet. Some of it is outdated.

All sections are ARS:

28-1171-6 defines OHV
28-1171 All regulations apply to all AZ lands except private property and Indian Lands
28-1177 Must have off road plate if vehicle designed for off road use AND 2500 pounds of less. (However, 28-5801 appears to conflict with this section)
28-1178 Registration not required for off road special event, private land or to lad/unload from a vehicle.
28-5801-E Reduced fee of $3 if off road vehicle is designed primarily for off road use AND weight is 1800 pounds or less.
28-2532 Appears to be the catch all section to cite for if any of the registration sections are violated.

Another permit which you may consider getting is the AZ state land permit.
Your OHV sticker lets you "cross" state land but when you stop or recreate you need the permit.
Most areas are marked as no trespassing but if you don't know where you might be riding then just get the permit. It's only $20 for the family

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great info, thanks!
The “Where To Ride” link used to just show all the “Open Areas“ I had no interest in riding. I’ve spent years exploring Utah but not much in my home state outside of what I can reach from my driveway

·
Registered
244 Posts
So, where does that leave out of state licensed RZR’s? I have a S.D. Street license and street insurance with all the requirements like turn signals, horn, dot tires. I’m hoping to visit your fine state this winter when our Colorado trails are snowed in. Can I drive from my hotel to trails if I avoid the Interstate?

·
Registered
488 Posts
When I try to renew registration when I changed to my new address, It drops the SXS I have currently registered and says no registered vehicles. No matter what I try can not get by this. I guess a trip to BMV is going to be necessary.

·
The Lone Rzr
2,459 Posts
So, where does that leave out of state licensed RZR’s? I have a S.D. Street license and street insurance with all the requirements like turn signals, horn, dot tires. I’m hoping to visit your fine state this winter when our Colorado trails are snowed in. Can I drive from my hotel to trails if I avoid the Interstate?
Yes.
Only thing I know that changed is the OHV sticker is now required for non residents

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I am also in the Phoenix area and went through many hoops getting my RZR registered appropriately and it’s still not. After months of going in to MVD and calling, I have several plates and about a dozen OHV tags and still managed to end up with a PERM plate tag. I could go on about this for hours, however to summarize the story, the MVD went through a system and structure change with MC, ATV,UTV and RV registrations and they severely failed. I have spoken to every policing authority, Game and Fish, Parks and Rec and any other entity that would be involved with enforcing violations of side by side registrations and all of them said not to worry about it as long as your side by side is legal from the equipment perspective, insurance etc. in Arizona and you have a valid plate of any kind and a current OHV tag. I drive mine all around the streets in my neighborhood and haven’t been pulled over yet. I will laugh the day I do because I’m going to hand them the pile of plates and OHV tags and documentation I have collected since I bought it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone, I wanted to get some info from AZ members who take their RZR on the street. I went to the DMV and they said if I wanted to drive my RZR on the street here in Phoenix I would have to register it for
“ primarily on-highway use “ and pay the actual registration cost ( about $500 ). Did anyone else register this way? Also has anyone here had issues getting pulled over in large cities like Phoenix? Thanks a ton for your input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in yuma and I have mine registered for on and off road use it cost about $40.00 i think. It cost more if you are registering for totally on road.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I live in Surprise and have my RZR registered to drive primarily off road. If you plan on using it all the time on the road, I could believe that. When I registered mine, they said that since I was only going to be on the road very little, I would get the OHV tag first and then get it registered "Primarily Off-Road Use" and it cost me just over $30. You have to get the OHV tag regardless and get it first!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make sure that you get the off road tag FIRST and then the on road one. There is a huge difference if you do it the other way around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
36207E45-37CF-4A64-A89D-05AE7BD20594.jpeg Dry weight for 2020 RZR Turbo S

1 - 20 of 21 Posts