Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing some research as we are going to be relocating to Arizona in the next couple of years. I used to live in Tucson in the 80's and loved riding dirt bikes from my apartment to the desert all day. What we are looking for is small town or areas that you can ride with offroad permits to the desert and riding areas. Without going street legal. What towns are close to good riding areas, Blm land that allows riding, etc. I am looking to make a list of towns or areas to check out when we get to Arizona later this year. Not interested in the big city's or trailering everytime i want to ride. So far I have Salome, Benson, Safford, Sierra vista, and Florence. Warmer climate areas for the winter months. Leave a quick responce with area/town and why you like it?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lake Havasu. 2 blocks out of my garage and I'm in the desert but I'm still street legal
When you get tired of the desert you can go on the lake
Parker too
Anything further north and it gets cooler with the elevation
Further north as in chilly Bullhead? LOL. I hadn't thought of Parker or Havasu. Both would be cool.

·
Registered
151 Posts
In all honesty, its so easy to get street legal in AZ, why wouldn't you? There's a somewhat middle of the road registration you can do where it isn't full time street legal. It's a part time deal where you're allowed to drive roads to and from trails. It's a huge grey area because there's no definition to how far you can drive to the trail. That's what I have and I drive all over. I've even had a cop ask me to pull over at a stop light so he could check out my RZR because he was in the market.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My plan is to get street legal when I get moved there. We want to come visit and ride before that and we will still be Indiana residents with Indiana registrations. I understand we can get an non resident off road sticker to ride there. So that is what we plan to do. We are just looking for suggestions on good ridding places!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Out of state residents cannot get an Arizona license plate. I just went through this and had to get a SD license plate to be legal in AZ. SD will issue out of state residents a license plate that AZ honors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just moved here about 6 months ago and was looking for the same thing. I live in Wittmann and am amazed how many miles of trails there are to explore from here. If you look at Google maps there is a vast area of desert and mountains north of highway 74, much of it ridable. I am not sure of all the land ownership of the different areas but, it wouldnt take too much effort to find out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just moved here about 6 months ago and was looking for the same thing. I live in Wittmann and am amazed how many miles of trails there are to explore from here. If you look at Google maps there is a vast area of desert and mountains north of highway 74, much of it ridable. I am not sure of all the land ownership of the different areas but, it wouldnt take too much effort to find out.
Thanks! That's all I am looking for! Good riding areas! I'll add Wittmann to my list.
Not looking for a debate on street legal or not there are threads for that already.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Another source of information about AZ riding is a book called "Arizona Backroads and Trails ". Its a book that gives a pretty good description of difficulty and what you'll see. Breaks the state into zones. It also gives great directions to the trail head.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Take a look at the area south of Prescott (Mayer, Dewey, Humboldt) All have access to lots of trail systems. It's a little higher in elevation so summers aren't quite as brutal, still hot, and winters aren't bad (little snow). Mayer is at the base of the Bradshaw Mtns where you would have access to lots of trails.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another source of information about AZ riding is a book called "Arizona Backroads and Trails ". Its a book that gives a pretty good description of difficulty and what you'll see. Breaks the state into zones. It also gives great directions to the trail head.
Where is a good place to find that book?

·
Registered
177 Posts
We picked it up at Barnes and Noble when we were in Tucson, all over the internet as well. It's put out by Funtreks, same company and layout as the Moab book.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in Yuma close to imperial sand dunes also great desert riding in winter and night riding in early summer also trips to the Colorado river ... there is a trail in Arizona called the “Arizona peace trail” I have never done it but sounds like a adventure..

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
3 Posts
What we are looking for is small town or areas that you can ride with offroad permits to the desert and riding areas.
The only permit you may need is the AZ State Trust permit, if the land you are riding on is state trust land. The permit is $20 and good for a year, so buy it and stick it in your glove box. And if you are going to ride in the Tonto Natl Forest, you need to purchase a pass.

State Trust Permit: Recreational Permits | Arizona State Land Department

Tonto Natl Forest Tonto National Forest - Passes & Permits or you can buy the pass at Big 5 sport stores and some gas stations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's another vote for the Pinetop/Lakeside/Show Low area. Check out the Maverick Trail, it is almost 60 miles long, ou can do the whole thing or parts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts