Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the installation of the turbocharger kit from Hi Performance LLC, with the liquid to air intercooler. The claim is that it will increase the horsepower to 88 at the rear wheels, on pump gas. They claim over 100 with race gas. Has anyone installed this kit? The cost is $6500, and I'm wondering if this is good investment.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
I don't have this kit, but unless you are going to be very conservative with the boost, you might want to pin and weld the crank. it is about $200 from crankworks I think.
forged low compression pistons would also be a good upgrade.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Bill, I would recommend you spend some time (if you haven't already) and research the different turbo kits available.

There are at least a half a dozen to consider and I think you'll find that for $6500 you can buy a lot of parts.

I've been accumulating all the info I can in preparation for adding a turbo in the future.

Good luck with your choice! :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
The aerocharger is awesome and is one of the best designed kits out there and the simplest to install. Yes the price is a little higher then most but you get what you pay for and if I did it over or again Ill choose Aerogharger every time. Its simply the best turbo out there.

If you will stay within the specs for boost you will be fine but the urge will come to turn up the boost and that where it gets interesting. I ran my kit on my 09 S for a year at 12 psi with no problems, maybe I was lucky. When I put the big bore on that's when I started twisting cranks and broke a rod on the one I had pined and welded so that's not the correct way to do it. If you decide to tear into the engine get the billet stroker crank. I JUST DID! :scared2: Now its time for some fun!

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
look around b4 you make your decision.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Kits definitely a nice kit. Makes alot of power, infact enough to bend my crank on 7psi within 6 miles of installation:rollfinger:. Dont remember paying that much originally, well I'm up to much more than 6500.00 now for sure so whos counting at this point! Welcome to boost:rofl3:

G

·
Aerocharger makes a nice kit..
If I could make one suggestion though it would be at least negotiate some adjustable clutching instead of what they want to send you that has been "tested"...then having to sort it out afterwards by calling another company. Clutching is something that almost always needs tweaking to meet either the riders preferences or their /altitude/location/riding style...would be a PITA to be shipping primary weights back and forth until I got it like I wanted it..very rarely is clutching on a machine modded to this extend perfect out of the box..if you think it is then maybe you just don't know any better..... no sense in paying for parts that will just end up in a parts drawer when you get tired of trying to get it right by telling someone what it is doing and waiting on them to send you something to fix it....JMO
At least one kit comes with adjustable primary weights. :) As said look at least at MCX,K&T and Aerocharger before you decide..have fun racking your brain..lol. I know I did.

·
Registered
104 Posts
AND also consider building your own turbocharger system. $6,500 is half the price of a RZR. There are a few on this website that agree that you can build a turbo for WAY less that the kits. Research!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm considering the installation of the turbocharger kit from Hi Performance LLC, with the liquid to air intercooler. The claim is that it will increase the horsepower to 88 at the rear wheels, on pump gas. They claim over 100 with race gas. Has anyone installed this kit? The cost is $6500, and I'm wondering if this is good investment.
$6500 That's what I have into my K&T with a Rage VIII clutch shop before you drop the $$$$ :)

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
If I could make one suggestion though it would be at least negotiate some adjustable clutching instead of what they want to send you that has been "tested"...then having to sort it out afterwards by calling another company. Clutching is something that almost always needs tweaking to meet either the riders preferences or their /altitude/location/riding style...would be a PITA to be shipping primary weights back and forth until I got it like I wanted it..very rarely is clutching on a machine modded to this extend perfect out of the box..if you think it is then maybe you just don't know any better..... no sense in paying for parts that will just end up in a parts drawer when you get tired of trying to get it right by telling someone what it is doing and waiting on them to send you something to fix it....JMO
There are plenty of benefits for having a clutch kit designed by experts. Even though one can argue that "every rzr is different", more often than not people are riding on stock suspension with stock sized tires. Not only that but the average person isn't a clutching expert and as a result an adjustable clutch kit can do more harm than good in the hands of the inexperienced. And lets not forget that the clutching argument can go both ways as there are plenty of people out there that say adjustable weights are just a band-aid and is not the best solution compared to properly designed weights. This is why we offer a thoroughly tested clutch kit design by the clutching experts at EPI who have been mastering clutching since 1991. We worked together with them to design clutch kit specifically for our RZR's with our turbo systems. Also note that we have two different clutch kits available for our turbo systems: Performance & Race, both with different design principles. We also provide a different helix designed for our race clutch system engagement.

The bottom line is that this is a forum and there will always be a dozen different people that will give you a million reasons why their setup is the best in the world but it all comes down to personal preference. Give us a call at 913.541.0200 and we can talk about your RZR and get you the clutching you need.

G

·
There are plenty of benefits for having a clutch kit designed by experts. Even though one can argue that "every rzr is different", more often than not people are riding on stock suspension with stock sized tires. Not only that but the average person isn't a clutching expert and as a result an adjustable clutch kit can do more harm than good in the hands of the inexperienced. And lets not forget that the clutching argument can go both ways as there are plenty of people out there that say adjustable weights are just a band-aid and is not the best solution compared to properly designed weights. This is why we offer a thoroughly tested clutch kit design by the clutching experts at EPI who have been mastering clutching since 1991. We worked together with them to design clutch kit specifically for our RZR's with our turbo systems. Also note that we have two different clutch kits available for our turbo systems: Performance & Race, both with different design principles. We also provide a different helix designed for our race clutch system engagement.

The bottom line is that this is a forum and there will always be a dozen different people that will give you a million reasons why their setup is the best in the world but it all comes down to personal preference. Give us a call at 913.541.0200 and we can talk about your RZR and get you the clutching you need.

IMO if someone has the knowledge to install a turbo kit..along with a little tech support from the dealer they should be able to dial in an adjustable clutch kit...
I have bought a few clutch kits in my day....and I have to say that I have yet to have one be perfect out of the box on a MODIFIED machine even when I listed every modification when the kit was ordered. Alot of variables involved and there is no way a clutch kit company can test ever combo at every altitude,every machine weight,every rider weight ect ect. Then what if someone wants to add a modification? More boost,different tires ect...back to the drawing board and another set of weights..
Sure have the EPI guys come in person and dial my stuff in....I'm sure it would be perfect..otherwise..I prefer to be able to dial it in myself with some great tech support if I have a question about what it needs to get it where I want it. Rather than have to ship weights back and forth..
JMO
As for the adjustable weights being a band-aid..I've never seen anyone say that..must be the guys that selling non-adjustable weights saying that,one set of adjustable weights will eat up alot of weight sales:rofl3:....The STM adjustable weights that came with my turbo kit are SWEET. Sure if I had the ability to make my own weights a non-adjustable weight would be great...but since I can't I'll take the adjustable weights over throwing non-adjustable weights in the junk drawer each time it needs tweaking.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
IMO if someone has the knowledge to install a turbo kit..along with a little tech support from the dealer they should be able to dial in an adjustable clutch kit...
I have bought a few clutch kits in my day....and I have to say that I have yet to have one be perfect out of the box on a MODIFIED machine even when I listed every modification when the kit was ordered. Alot of variables involved and there is no way a clutch kit company can test ever combo at every altitude,every machine weight,every rider weight ect ect. Then what if someone wants to add a modification? More boost,different tires ect...back to the drawing board and another set of weights..
Sure have the EPI guys come in person and dial my stuff in....I'm sure it would be perfect..otherwise..I prefer to be able to dial it in myself with some great tech support if I have a question about what it needs to get it where I want it. Rather than have to ship weights back and forth..
JMO
As for the adjustable weights being a band-aid..I've never seen anyone say that..must be the guys that selling non-adjustable weights saying that,one set of adjustable weights will eat up alot of weight sales:rofl3:....The STM adjustable weights that came with my turbo kit are SWEET. Sure if I had the ability to make my own weights a non-adjustable weight would be great...but since I can't I'll take the adjustable weights over throwing non-adjustable weights in the junk drawer each time it needs tweaking.

I doesn't take a mechanical engineering degree to follow directions and turn a wrench. Anybody can install a turbo system, especially with a thorough installation manual.

Anyway since you are clearly biased, apparently a K&T owner, and obviously in this thread to just bash our product I'm going to break it down for you:

1) We don't charge people for additional weights they may need
2) We don't require you to send anything back
3) Guaranteed any modification you can throw at your RZR we've already tested and have a clutching solution for you that we can have at your door the next day.

Also keep in mind that your adjustable weights are only allowing you to adjust one thing: the weight. Can you change the shape of your weights to change how they react and engage? I doubt it. By changing the profile of the weight you effectively change the way it performs. We've experimented with just about every profile out there and have even made plenty of our own custom weights to suit our customers needs, free of charge.

The continuously variable transmission (be it any application) was not designed to have adjustable weights because the benefits of a properly designed clutching system far out-weigh the convenience of having adjustable parts.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Either way, we would be happy to get anybody adjustable weights if that is what you prefer. I have several on my desk that we have tested and continue to test on other applications. Everybody please remember clutching is more of an art. What one guy likes may not be the best for the next guy. If you are changing the mass of the flyweight, you also need to consider how it will effect the engagement and the shift pattern. If anything more then a small change is made to the weights then a diffrent spring could easily be required. We all know that springs don't come adjustable rates.

Another thing about adjustable weights is the fact that they REQUIRE you to tune the clutch setup. We have found that the majority of customers would rather open a box and have a specific setup to install that will work well. While it may not be 100% perfect it does work well for almost every customer.

G

·
I doesn't take a mechanical engineering degree to follow directions and turn a wrench. Anybody can install a turbo system, especially with a thorough installation manual.

Anyway since you are clearly biased, apparently a K&T owner, and obviously in this thread to just bash our product I'm going to break it down for you:

1) We don't charge people for additional weights they may need
2) We don't require you to send anything back
3) Guaranteed any modification you can throw at your RZR we've already tested and have a clutching solution for you that we can have at your door the next day.
How am I bashing your product? Just because I don't own your kit doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about clutching and share it. That is ALL I am doing. I like your kit...looked real hard at when I was shopping around. Just because we disagree about adjustable clutch weights doesn't change my opinion. I guess after you posted I should just shut up? ...maybe you should brush that chip off of you shoulder..notice this isn't in the Aerocharger section of the forum....I'm not here to bash anyone.

Thanks

Good day.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Collin, Just sent you a pm. You get a chance call me. Few more questions. About ready to pull the trigger. Gary

·
aka: Bad Influence
929 Posts
Aerocharger will be my choice simply because they are so close to me. I bought the extended warranty so nothing like this in my future.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Great answers Collin and Brad! Sounds like a general multi purpose clutch is what you have dialed in, think thats all most would like. If people want to tweek it for hours to get there idea of perfect, more power to em! I think most people just want to ride and have fun not constantly dicking around with it.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Great answers Collin and Brad! Sounds like a general multi purpose clutch is what you have dialed in, think thats all most would like. If people want to tweek it for hours to get there idea of perfect, more power to em! I think most people just want to ride and have fun not constantly dicking around with it.
X2

1 - 20 of 64 Posts