Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
121 - 140 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Pro XP4 Ultimate Rockford Fosgate LE
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
My pod lights finally arrived! Ordered them on March 22 from Diodedynamics, they're the SSC2 Pro in a Combo lens with Blue backlighting. I had the harness shipped early when I saw these were backordered and have been waiting to see how they perform. Heading out for a bachelor party ride this weekend and will install them tomorrow so we can put them through the paces of Drummond Island. Will circle back with a full review.

Light Product Black Camera accessory Font

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas Bumper

Bumper Automotive lighting Gas Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
So the SSC2 Pro Series lights are pretty good for what I wanted. I was looking for something to give a little more reach up front and a little scattered light above for low branches etc. I had adjusted my low beams to have a straight shot height at 20' and put these at a 3" rise for the same distance with a slight spread since they're mounted so close together. These are the combo beam and I really went to these for the backlight option over the 4 LED 3" lamps. They're bright for the size, the build quality is very good, and the yellow lens covers will come in handy in dusty and snowy conditions. I may look at relocating them to the A-pillar and using them more as a ditch light with the larger version replacing them for distance lighting if I can find a mount that won't interfere with my tipout windshield. But for now I'm very pleased with these lights. I'll get some night shots and update soon.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Blue Automotive tire

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 · (Edited)
Took the time to consider an upgrade to the stock springs and while I was disappointed at the current appearance of the factory tender springs I decided not to go with Eibach simply because I couldn't get them in white and I like the way the white springs 'pop' with the light from my rock lights at night. So I got a set of the RZRaid Tenders from AllthingzUTV to test out. Install was about 2.5 hours. Will ride them this weekend and report back with impressions and 'The Admiral's feedback. I set the front lower spring collar at 2.125" on install and had to bring it down another .75" to set the correct 16.5" ride height. Rears I set the lower spring collar at 7.125" on install and needed another 1.0" to get to the correct height. All of these adjustments were made with the Dynamix in sport mode where we ride with it set most of the time.

Old tenders were collapsing:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

And front:
Coil spring Automotive tire Suspension Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Comparison of rears:
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wood

New rears installed:
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Comparison of fronts:
Road surface Asphalt Font Grass Art

New fronts installed:
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Coil spring Tread

Proper ride height achieved:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Lower arm angle looks better to me.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

And lower rods are back to parallel with the ground.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2019 RZR XP4 1000 “Doc”
228 Posts
I really like the RZRaid tenders on my XP4 1000. I did put crossover rings on and set them similar to what Shock Therapy recommends.

I also set my ride height with “normal” loaded weight in it. Doing both really helped with the big hits at the dunes and the ruts, rocks etc at low speeds.

Look forward to your feedback for the Pro, have two friends with Pros that I help with and am looking at the RZRaids for them.

Reactions: Arcticzale

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
I really like the RZRaid tenders on my XP4 1000. I did put crossover rings on and set them similar to what Shock Therapy recommends.

I also set my ride height with “normal” loaded weight in it. Doing both really helped with the big hits at the dunes and the ruts, rocks etc at low speeds.

Look forward to your feedback for the Pro, have two friends with Pros that I help with and am looking at the RZRaids for them.
So, we put on about 55 miles this evening. All I have to say is 2 words: Do It.

Admiral noticed with the first washboard we hit, best $240 I've spent on this machine, no crossovers as these are the Fox 2.55" and they don't have them. I could get the crossover rings from Eibach but really dont think I have any reason to. Ran great without them and don't want the hit to the firm setting that rings cause. I prefer the confidence of transition vs the force of hitting the rings and going to the heavy spring all at once. Honestly, there were a few times tonight where I would've been tippy if I had the rings stopping the soft spring and going all on the firm.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Upper doors went on well, but make sure you take off the door outer skins before doing it. While the instructions don't say that, you'll need to.
View attachment 670926

View attachment 670927

After getting the upper door kit installed it was time to get to the rear window in. I ordered the glass rear window from Dirt Warrior Accessories in Utah and was happy with the build quality. However it was designed for the aluminum roof, so the mount points of the Poly Roof required trimming(pictures later). It's a very nice fit on the piece, and once the roof mount tabs are accounted for it fit right in.
View attachment 670928
I like that back window, it works with the speakers it looks? I think I'm gonna call my dealer and tell them I dont want that POS Polaris plastic crap. I cant believe thats what they came up with for a rear window

·
Registered
85 Posts
They do really clean up the look of the interior and exterior. I'm taller and was concerned about the arm rest being too high for a comfortable driving position (long arms) but the angle and distance are comfortable for a casual 9 o'clock hold position. So far I'm very pleased with them.

View attachment 673025

View attachment 673026

View attachment 673027

These will be great in the cooler weather when the wind is blowing. Seals it up properly on the front end. I'm working on a solution for the gap at the rear doors right now, want to have this fully sealed for track riding in the winter.
View attachment 673028
Do the inner doors come with the upper door windows? I did order the windows?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Do the inner doors come with the upper door windows? I did order the windows?
The inner door panels are a separate item. For the 4 seat Pro XP the Polaris part number is 2884831
I like that back window, it works with the speakers it looks? I think I'm gonna call my dealer and tell them I dont want that POS Polaris plastic crap. I cant believe thats what they came up with for a rear window
The window works perfect with the speakers. I had to modify the frame on it a little to work with the mounts on the poly sport roof I have but it all worked out well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The inner door panels are a separate item. For the 4 seat Pro XP the Polaris part number is 2884831

The window works perfect with the speakers. I had to modify the frame on it a little to work with the mounts on the poly sport roof I have but it all worked out well.
Ok thanks, i did see u modified it, I got the aluminum roof

·
Registered
85 Posts
Upper doors went on well, but make sure you take off the door outer skins before doing it. While the instructions don't say that, you'll need to.
View attachment 670926

View attachment 670927

After getting the upper door kit installed it was time to get to the rear window in. I ordered the glass rear window from Dirt Warrior Accessories in Utah and was happy with the build quality. However it was designed for the aluminum roof, so the mount points of the Poly Roof required trimming(pictures later). It's a very nice fit on the piece, and once the roof mount tabs are accounted for it fit right in.
View attachment 670928
What do u think about that rear window for the money? Debating this or the horrible looking plastic Poo rear window

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
What do u think about that rear window for the money? Debating this or the horrible looking plastic Poo rear window
I'm very happy with it, while I dont have an actual measurement of DB my machine seems to have a little less engine noise compared to my buddy with the Polaris rear. I'm assuming this is the reason, only real difference between them. His is a '20 model, but he ordered one of these because it does look much more 'finished' than the poly rear.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm very happy with it, while I dont have an actual measurement of DB my machine seems to have a little less engine noise compared to my buddy with the Polaris rear. I'm assuming this is the reason, only real difference between them. His is a '20 model, but he ordered one of these because it does look much more 'finished' than the poly rear.
Besides the mounts up top u modified, the rest of it fits pretty good? No big gaps ?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Besides the mounts up top u modified, the rest of it fits pretty good? No big gaps ?
No gaps that weren't fixed by pulling the seal out from the aluminum frame a little, maybe 1/16" or so at the corners of the speaker pods. Very pleased with how it fit to the ROPS. I did put a piece of foam above it to the roof, but that was for dust coming in the gap with the way this roof mounts
Motor vehicle Grille Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper
Bicycle frame Crankset Bicycle part Bicycle fork Rim

The only real complaint I had was that at times the center piece between the windows would obstruct the view of the car behind me if there was a big gap between us. I'm 6'5" and it's likely just the angle that I look at my mirror as my wife is 5'6" and said it doesn't bother her view at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No gaps that weren't fixed by pulling the seal out from the aluminum frame a little, maybe 1/16" or so at the corners of the speaker pods. Very pleased with how it fit to the ROPS. I did put a piece of foam above it to the roof, but that was for dust coming in the gap with the way this roof mounts
View attachment 681206 View attachment 681207

The only real complaint I had was that at times the center piece between the windows would obstruct the view of the car behind me if there was a big gap between us. I'm 6'5" and it's likely just the angle that I look at my mirror as my wife is 5'6" and said it doesn't bother her view at all.
Luckily the dealer had the front and rear windshields in stock when ordered machine, so no biggie to tell them I dont want the poo stuff. They still tried to tell me that the Poo plastic rear window fits really tight lol from what I saw on a few machines it has quite a bit of gap

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 · (Edited)
While the SSC2 lights from DiodeDynamics are a really good light for their size I decided they'd be better suited as ditch lights and ordered up the SS3 pods in the Max version with the combo lens for distance up front. The clear lens will be good for most conditions and have a set of yellow covers for when the weather or dust is less than ideal. The 6000k temperature of the lights is pretty close to daylight so they should work well. While these are the most expensive pods I've purchased I've always felt like Diodedynamics gives me what I pay for.
Font Material property Publication Technology Gadget

I really liked the location of the Baja Designs mount under the stock bull bar bumper so I called them and ordered one of their mount brackets. It wasnt listed separately from the squadron lights on their website but they do offer the mount as a stand alone purchase outside the kit. It has what appears to be a thick powder coat on it and I'm hoping it's pretty durable. The bracket is actually pretty simple in design, looked more complex and multipiece on their website.
Netbook Rectangle Aqua Wood Gadget

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Saw Bumper Wood

Finger Rectangle Wood Gas Bumper

I'll get these mounted up and wired in and will follow up with some night pictures and video review of how the SS3 Max put out the light.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
The Diodedynamics SS3 lights are a little taller than the BD Squadron so I'll be doing some modifications to get these installed.

Baja Designs Squadron specs:
Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram Drawing

And the SS3:
Font Auto part Parallel Rectangle Diagram

The ~.5" mount height difference is enough that I'm going to modify the brackets on the SS3 to reduce overall height to work with the BD bracket. We went riding instead of working on it but will get it done this week. Will likely use some scrap to make aluminum brackets to relocate the current SSC2 lights in the factory openings under the headlights. While not really high enough to shine down into the ditches they'll be aimed outward for a little more cornering light. This is just an initial thought as I don't know of any A-pillar mounts I can use with the tip-out windshield.

·
Premium Member
2019 RZR XP4 1000 “Doc”
228 Posts
I'm evolving my Baja Designs headlights in a kinda similar way.

The BD light kits comes with two combo lights, basically half spot half corner/wide for low beams and two full on spot lights for high beams.

I felt that the combo lights are too bright with the spot half to use for low beams so some since I just added the BD S8 light bar I'm putting the cornering/wide lenses on them and aiming them lower.

I wired the relay trigger for the S8 off the high beams and ran it's hot lead through a dedicated switch so I can run low beam, low and high beams and low, high and bar from just the main light switch and the bar dims with the hi/low switch.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I'm evolving my Baja Designs headlights in a kinda similar way.

I wired the relay trigger for the S8 off the high beams and ran it's hot lead through a dedicated switch so I can run low beam, low and high beams and low, high and bar from just the main light switch and the bar dims with the hi/low switch.
That's a smart setup, do you have a separate power to run the bar only? With our latitude here (north of the 45th) and it getting dark earlier I know I'm going to be using lights much more. I was thinking about setting the SS3 pods to relay from the high beam but as terrible as the Pro XP low beams are I don't want to blind oncoming if we have to run roads between trails and don't want to lose forward vision when going to low beam. I have not aimed the headlights yet. Since adding the tender springs and having the rear ride height higher it's even more pronounced how low the factory aims the headlights. So for now I'll probably go to switch on the SS3 and maybe move the SSC2 to relay from the high beams.

·
Premium Member
2019 RZR XP4 1000 “Doc”
228 Posts
I don't currently have a way to power the bar independently but will run the trigger from the high beams to a double throw switch so I can if I ever decide I need to. I just felt like starting easy.

I hope the wide cornering lenses will be decent to drop to for low beams... If not I can put the combo lenses back.

For me and the speeds I run the BD headlights were actually enough light except for when out in the big dunes, I just needed a little more. I hope the light bar will fill that gap for me. I also hope the move to the wide cornering lenses with the pods angled out will fill in the corners better than the combos did.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Relocated the SSC2 pods tonight. I dont think I mind them here... just cold bent some aluminum to make mounts in those openings where the full bumper mounts under the headlight assemblies.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Blue
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Now I have to get the bracket from BD modified to final mount and wire in the new pods. May end up just making my own if my press and brake won't move this one the way I want. Plenty of room to get the bracket lower, just too tight with the bigger Diodedynamics SS3 pods. Shame I'm going to mess up this powder coat.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

121 - 140 of 181 Posts