Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
181 - 200 of 202 Posts

·
Premium Member
'21 Pro XP4 Ultimate Rockford Fosgate LE
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 · (Edited)
Final parts arrived and I was able to align the tensioner on the front track and reassemble it. Had to modify the top plate for the antirotation brackets as it was hitting the spindle when the steering moved. Took about 1/8" of length off it and it clears now lock to lock. Will pull these back off and get to powdercoat.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

It's just off the jack in this picture and will settle lower once it's moved a bit.
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

With the higher speed I'll have in the RZR vs the Ranger on tracks I wanted to minimize the amount of snow the tracks put up to the windshield while cornering. The Ranger had much better fender coverage but still needed some protection to keep the snow down.

When turning in snow at higher speeds the outside edge of the inside track will slide in the snow and will throw snow directly upward. Used a tailgate mat to make some extended fenders to keep that down off the windshield. It's held in by 2 of the factory body bolts and 4 push pins that I drilled holes for up under the fenders.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Coil spring Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive tire Coil spring Gas Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

This should do the job, even if they look stupid. Fortunately with the push pins they can be removed in about 2 minutes. If I had a glass windshield and power windshield wiper I probably wouldn't have bothered with this, but I know with the poly I'll get snow build up and likely frost over pretty quick.

Here's what I mean by the track edge throwing snow up around the front fenders while cornering on the Pro XP:
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Tire Ice racing Wheel Vehicle Sky

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 · (Edited)
The instrument cluster mount arrived from Razorback, put that in this morning but did have to grind a slight 10° angle on one of the 2 spacers for the upper bolt to get it to sit correctly. Easiest to remove the cluster from the column, it's just 4 10mm bolts and unplug the harness. I like the location, just need to get some small black zip ties to tighten up the wires. This will be a good location with how I grip the wheel and make it easy to monitor the belt temps.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Output device Vehicle Mode of transport

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Mail lady brought the SpeedoHealer today, was surprised to see it. So I went ahead and put it in. Gilomen had set it at a 40% correction and since I'm still running my tuned ECM I opted to fine tune it once it was installed. My ECM is set for 32" tires and with the track drivers at 14.5" and track thickness at 1.25" I decided to check that math. The equation works like this: 32-17=15. 15/32=.4688 or 46.88% reduction. So that's where I set it. Plug is on the passenger side rear for the transmission sending unit, ran the lead up and back across to the driver side. Cleaned the mounting bracket above the CVT housing and stuck the adhesive velcro patch on to hold the main unit.
Automotive tire Tire Font Material property Cable

View looking in from the left rear wheel well.
Automotive tire Coil spring Automotive lighting Gas Bumper

I am making some covers for the wheel openings to keep from getting too much snow buildup and to keep some more heat in the engine when we're out on the ice. This will be covered up once those are done.
Automotive tire Tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

The SpeedoHealer also came with the High Speed Recall button. It was too short of a lead to run from here to the front seat so I will make a harness for it at some point, probably in the spring. The instructions say it just uses a SPST switch and I actually have one open switch in my dash I can swap out to have it there, just don't want to delay myself anymore and get to riding. This weeks forecast is calling for a good amount of snow and I'm hoping to get it out for a rip and hopefully a long ride next Saturday.

Tomorrow I'll make some time to run it a few miles on the roads to see if I'm close on the SpeedoHealer. Then I'll double check all my bolt torques, alignment and track tensions again. Winter is coming.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Quick update from the maiden track rip. Had to adjust the SpeedoHealer as it was about 7% high vs GPS. Got it about right now. And had a fricken blast after a wet heavy snow and some rain mixed in before another dumping of snow. About 32° and it was just amazing.

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Snow

Tire Snow Wheel Vehicle Sports equipment

Snow build up quick, temp change frosts the window pretty fast too.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Spent a lot of time removing the snow from the grille, must've done it a dozen times or so.
Ice racing Snow Vehicle Tire Car

Here's some short video clips:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quick update from the maiden track rip. Had to adjust the SpeedoHealer as it was about 7% high vs GPS. Got it about right now. And had a fricken blast after a wet heavy snow and some rain mixed in before another dumping of snow. About 32° and it was just amazing.

View attachment 686524

View attachment 686525

Snow build up quick, temp change frosts the window pretty fast too.
View attachment 686526

Spent a lot of time removing the snow from the grille, must've done it a dozen times or so.
View attachment 686527

Here's some short video clips:

Sweet! Hopefully I'm pleased with the 22, next yr I might try tracks if I'm happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2019 RZR XP4 1000 “Doc”
274 Posts
That's cool the SpeedoHealer is working. I haven't installed mine yet.

I forgot about the top speed recall, will have to wire that up as a tattle-tail for the kids lol.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 · (Edited)
Had some down time today so instead of washing the machine like I should have I decided to put some 3M 3200 engineer grade reflective pinstriping on to see if I like it. The color is really close to the Radar Blue from the factory in natural light so it's really subtle, but when a beam of light hits it the reflective properties are brilliant.
The machine is filthy from snow melt but I used some denatured alcohol to prep and clean any areas I was going to put striping. This stuff doesn't bend like traditional pinstripe from 3M so following contours is difficult. And this is not forgiving material, it's designed to be permanent and that's abundantly clear if you try to remove it.

Here's a few progress pictures with and without a flash from the shop, will get some in the wild later:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Hood Green Blue Azure Motor vehicle

Vehicle White Hood Car Light

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Black
Tire Wheel Hood Vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Sports equipment Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Green

Like anything, sometimes less is more. I currently have more on the driver side and am unsure whether I like the passenger side look better or not. (edit:Admiral decided the driver's side was her preference so I added the area around the front door on the passenger side as well.) But here's a low light picture of both sides.
Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey AZ, sharp machine, just curious how you like it with the tracks? Have a set for my ranger, so...

Reactions: Arcticzale

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Hey AZ, sharp machine, just curious how you like it with the tracks? Have a set for my ranger, so...
I absolutely love it on tracks! I moved these from my Ranger crew 900 and it is night and day better for driving experience. Of course the suspension helps a lot, but the increase in speed makes it much more enjoyable. It is a totally different animal on fuel economy though, this thing just eats it up - ran it down to the blinking indicator in about 45 miles - had the crew onboard nervous we weren't going to make it back to the fuel station. Mind you we were running in heavy wet snow and breaking trail so that surely played a part. I'll up date with more experience as it comes along, also have some fuel solutions for our long boondock trips. Been traveling the last few weeks and hoping to put more saddle time in starting tonight.

If you have tracks, check the size of your drive cogs - you may be able to get them onto your RZR without many new parts for conversion. I just had to swap front and rear drive cogs and get brackets (got lucky having 17 & 18 tooth drivers on the Ranger setup). If you have a Ranger 1000 that they were on then you will likely need to get a full conversion kit. But it is totally worth it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Being native to Arizona I have zero experience with that white stuff all over the ground. Would a fender over the track help to keep the snowpack from forming on the grill, or is that from pushing the snow?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Being native to Arizona I have zero experience with that white stuff all over the ground. Would a fender over the track help to keep the snowpack from forming on the grill, or is that from pushing the snow?
Actually, I've been working on a set with the same concept. I was looking at using the brake line guard as a mount but am not sure the casting will be rigid enough to hold without breaking. I'm using some stainless tubing I had leftover from a bimini top to make the shape to follow the track curve, hopefully it works out once I figure out the mounting...

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 · (Edited)
Well @TeamFASMotorsports set me up with a SYA snorkel set, shipping was prompt and price was fair. It arrived today and will get started on it tomorrow. I'm going to paint the snorkels to match the machine and am excited to see how this turns out. I know it'll look great, just hope it solves my snow dust clogging the vents issue.

It's a heavy kit, probably weighs about 35 pounds or so.
Linens Rectangle Plastic wrap Wood Flooring

The Warrior risers are pretty sharp looking, painted and cleared they're going to be beautiful.
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Vehicle door

The instructions appear to be quite thorough, lots of photos and details on the installation. While it seems tedious I'm hoping it isn't too frustrating, will know soon enough. Stay tuned...
Motor vehicle Font Automotive design Bag Pattern

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 · (Edited)
Got the Snorkels in color today. Not sure where I saw that the Rockford Fosgate edition had the Ford Raptor blue, called Blue Flame Metallic but that's not quite it. It'll be good enough for this project but the SZ paint code is too dark. I didn't bother tinting but did get the Deltron basecoat courtesy of PPG, so I don't have any complaints. Excited to get these installed and see if this remedies the snow dust intake issues.

Azure Automotive tire Gas Personal protective equipment Electric blue

No flash:
Vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

With flash:
Vehicle Car Hood Blue Automotive tire

I did the caps in white, may add some white accent paint on the raised lettering and around the connection channels. Decals may or may not be installed but had them sent with the black/white/silver option.

I don't think the color variance will be noticeable with them mounted up high in back. Debating on painting the raised lettering white but don't want to over do it.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

The white caps look good, will look nice with the prefilter screen and centers installed.
No flash:
Vehicle Photograph Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

With flash:
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
135 Posts
Got the Snorkels in color today. Not sure where I saw that the Rockford Fosgate edition had the Ford Raptor blue, called Blue Flame Metallic but that's not quite it. It'll be good enough for this project but the SZ paint code is too dark. I didn't bother tinting but did get the Deltron basecoat courtesy of PPG, so I don't have any complaints. Excited to get these installed and see if this remedies the snow dust intake issues.

View attachment 688656
No flash:
View attachment 688657
With flash:
View attachment 688658
I did the caps in white, may add some white accent paint on the raised lettering and around the connection channels. Decals may or may not be installed but had them sent with the black/white/silver option.

I don't think the color variance will be noticeable with them mounted up high in back. Debating on painting the raised lettering white but don't want to over do it.
View attachment 688676

The white caps look good, will look nice with the prefilter screen and centers installed.
No flash: View attachment 688677
With flash: View attachment 688678
I saw a dealer using Radiar Blue to match blue on the xcr sleds, wonder if its close to your color

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 · (Edited)
Well this kit from SYA is not overly impressive. For the money I'd expect a little better, well maybe even a lot better. The tips are cool, but the lack of care in coating the PVC and obvious zero prep and rattle can paint mean that it got beat up in the box and if you look at it wrong it's gonna lose paint. Guess I'll be painting these next before I glue them, this is unacceptable:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

I also had to modify the pipes to fit properly around the ROPS at the intake so the shock doesn't hit it on full droop and pull the sleeve off the intake.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread Automotive exterior

Was way too close so I had to break out the belt sander and sand a relief groove down the pipes at a union to allow it to clear the frame and shock.
Sleeve Paint Art Tints and shades Liquid

Fortunately I have aluminum heat tape available, wasn't much in the kit.
Footwear Shoe Leg Human body Automotive tire

Here's the relief notch under tape.
Cylinder Plant Drink Composite material Creative arts

This is the max room after the notch, before the piece was touching both the frame and the shock.
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Drinkware Wood

This is with the machine on the ground, will check at full droop before gluing. I'm concerned about the suspension movement either knocking it loose or just making a sound as it cycles. Will see.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber Tread

I called and left a message yesterday morning at SYA and since I haven't heard back I called again this afternoon and left another message. Will see if I get support on what coating is on these so I can prep accordingly for repaint. I doubt it will happen since it's now a holiday weekend and will just have to determine substrate or strip these before refinishing.

·
Premium Member
2019 RZR XP4 1000 “Doc”
274 Posts
That is too bad, it is always frustrating to spend the dime to get something you expect to bolt on and then have to modify it or be worried about its functionality. Hope it clears.

I really appreciate the time and detail you put into your thread.

181 - 200 of 202 Posts