Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
I wonder if those with other kits would be able to use their standalone ECU for better performance?
Good question! I remember reading the ViPec system from Queen Racing was a viable option, although I think it was $2k+ for the system. Would be curious to know how much API would charge for their standalone..

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I wonder if those with other kits would be able to use their standalone ECU for better performance?
Good question! I remember reading the ViPec system from Queen Racing was a viable option, although I think it was $2k+ for the system. Would be curious to know how much API would charge for their standalone..
Seeing as it is about $300 through summit racing, etc. I would think at least $1500 with mapping.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got 2 of their turbos with the ability to go from 11 lbs. to over 20 lbs. with a turn of the switch. 1 is on my wife's dune machine (18 lbs) and the other is on her trail and rock crawler that also sees some dune riding (11 lbs. for the trails and 16 in the dunes). The dune machine has their new clutch and it works great. The controller is set to adjust from Glamis to St. Antony with no adjustments required from us. No problems and the Borg Warner Turbo spools really quick. Pump gas at 11 lbs. and 110 for all the other setting's. So far they've worked well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good to hear. Im a bit worried about the motor holding together in Dumont. Is what it is I guess. Plan on doing a full rebuild next season in any case but would rather do it when I choose rather than blowing the motor up on a holiday weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
I've got 2 of their turbos with the ability to go from 11 lbs. to over 20 lbs. with a turn of the switch. 1 is on my wife's dune machine (18 lbs) and the other is on her trail and rock crawler that also sees some dune riding (11 lbs. for the trails and 16 in the dunes). The dune machine has their new clutch and it works great. The controller is set to adjust from Glamis to St. Antony with no adjustments required from us. No problems and the Borg Warner Turbo spools really quick. Pump gas at 11 lbs. and 110 for all the other setting's. So far they've worked well.
Dang, that thing will run 11psi on pump gas? Any internals needed?

·
Registered
478 Posts

Dang, that thing will run 11psi on pump gas? Any internals needed?

I run mine 12 psi on pump but that's with 9:1 CP Pistons and pulled timing. If you don't it's just a grenade :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
$2500 to modify a different turbo system to their standalone unit.
I would be cautious for anyone going down this road with API as I had a bad experience with this company -- Going down this very path.

FWIW .... :rm_thumbdown:

:drive1:
Do tell more ! Fill us in some as we need to know the Good as well as the bad!
Pappy ..

I could have worded my post slightly different. I don't wish to elaborate on my business dealings with David at API -- Just to state that I was given this company as a reference as to an avenue to secure a standalone ECM for my Boosted machine to resolve an ignition issue I was having.

In the end -- He/they did not wish to do business with me. Neither time or money was an issue.

I've since taken my business elsewhere and resolved my ignition issue.

While this doesn't answer your question -- The intent of my original post was just to state that we had a failed business transaction. I believe this to be an isolated incident.

:drive1:

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Were both incidents related to just using their controller? If that's the case I can understand them not wanting to mess with it. Takes time to build those maps for different elevations and different kits produce different values and then if you were to have an issue on fueling it would be directed back to API.

If not what was your incident?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Were both incidents related to just using their controller? If that's the case I can understand them not wanting to mess with it. Takes time to build those maps for different elevations and different kits produce different values and then if you were to have an issue on fueling it would be directed back to API.

If this was the case, then why would they offer the ecm by itself for sale?

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts

If this was the case, then why would they offer the ecm by itself for sale?
They offer it as a standalone system you can add to the stock machine, not a boosted machine. And again they can do that because every stock machine is essentially the same within the parameters where a boosted machine can differ significantly based on turbo size, intercooler size, injector size, length of charge box run, etc.

So they may be able to add it to a boosted machine but maybe they only do certain kits because they are similar to their own? I'm just guessing on that or maybe they just flat out won't do it on boosted machines that are not their kits simply for the reason I stated in my previous post.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If you read about the infinity system it helps build a map quickly with 02 feedback. Its extremely smart compared to the pcv. So fuel mapping is no excuse for shrugging off customers who want to purchase the stand alone. Timing map maybe. Maybe theres no profit in selling the stand alone and therefore no interest. That was the impression i got, no interest in having a transaction at all. Too bad ALBA isnt selling this system, that would be a different story.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
If you read about the infinity system it helps build a map quickly with 02 feedback. Its extremely smart compared to the pcv. So fuel mapping is no excuse for shrugging off customers who want to purchase the stand alone. Timing map maybe. Maybe theres no profit in selling the stand alone and therefore no interest. That was the impression i got, no interest in having a transaction at all. Too bad ALBA isnt selling this system, that would be a different story.
They only way they could build a map is with it on the car. And based on yours being a custom kit running e85, if your still on meth injection all changes the parameters. I'm sure the AEM infinity will build a map quickly but you need to have somewhat of a base to start and honestly if I were selling turbo kits with a standalone system with maps I built I wouldn't be selling it to competitor kits. Thats why I think API only sells it in their kit or on a stock machine because they already have the maps built.

This same issue is huge in the snowmobile market where turbo sleds are almost the norm now. Few companies make standalone kits, most use the dobeck, and those that make standalones hate messing with other companies kits because issues always arise. And it usually isn't profitable because if the map isn't spot on then they will receive a bunch of calls on whats going wrong which means sending map files back and forth, to pinpoint it.

IMO buying a complete turbo kit from a company also gives you the support of that company when issues arise and they build that support into their price for the kit.

The AEM infinity is available to anyone just like a PCV. But I bet you won't find many turbo companies selling you their pre-programmed PCV or even dobeck if you are running a different kit because it just equals headaches for them.

I guess I just wouldn't dog a company for not selling me a fuel controller for a homebuilt turbo when they produce a complete kit with a controller designed for that kit.

·
Registered
596 Posts
They only way they could build a map is with it on the car. And based on yours being a custom kit running e85, if your still on meth injection all changes the parameters. I'm sure the AEM infinity will build a map quickly but you need to have somewhat of a base to start and honestly if I were selling turbo kits with a standalone system with maps I built I wouldn't be selling it to competitor kits. Thats why I think API only sells it in their kit or on a stock machine because they already have the maps built.

This same issue is huge in the snowmobile market where turbo sleds are almost the norm now. Few companies make standalone kits, most use the dobeck, and those that make standalones hate messing with other companies kits because issues always arise. And it usually isn't profitable because if the map isn't spot on then they will receive a bunch of calls on whats going wrong which means sending map files back and forth, to pinpoint it.

IMO buying a complete turbo kit from a company also gives you the support of that company when issues arise and they build that support into their price for the kit.

The AEM infinity is available to anyone just like a PCV. But I bet you won't find many turbo companies selling you their pre-programmed PCV or even dobeck if you are running a different kit because it just equals headaches for them.

I guess I just wouldn't dog a company for not selling me a fuel controller for a homebuilt turbo when they produce a complete kit with a controller designed for that kit.
Yep. I had the VIPEC on a booted Polaris Pro. While the VIPEC is a great option, still has to be programmed. I do not have the time and therefore sent the sled to Cody Phillips. He programmed it and it worked well. Up till it blew. No fault of Cody or the VIPEC. The liability these custom tuners take on are bad press, litigation and headaches, just as you stated.

Sam

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

Lol if this were the case no one would run a stand alone ecu. The ONLY reason to buy from API was the plug and play harness. From what ive read the infinity builds a scratch base map to begin with. Read up on it.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Lol if this were the case no one would run a stand alone ecu. The ONLY reason to buy from API was the plug and play harness. From what ive read the infinity builds a scratch base map to begin with. Read up on it.

Maybe they'd sell just the harness to avoid the tech support of the ECU?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts