Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gouged my roll bar pretty bad, and going to TIG weld that area.

Aside from disconnecting the battery, do I need to do anything else?

Read somewhere to drain coolant to prevent elecstrolisis/corrosion in radiator and engine block. Sounds kinda out there, just asking.

TIA

Robert

·
Old but not slow
3,175 Posts
I did quite a bit of MIG welding on my cage and had no adverse affects. Didn't even think to disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Your fine weld away.. If you clamp close to the weld I'd say you don't have to worry with the battery.. My father N law has been a welder for 30 some odd years.. He welds on trucks, equipment, ect all the time.. The way he explained is the current goes from the rod to the clamp.. As long as your not clamped on one end and welding on the other. Or your not welding up close to the battery your fine. I've never heard of draining antifreeze or any other thing like that.

·
Nick tha ****....
181 Posts
I tiged up my whole cage and I didn't do either.
Just make sure the metal is clean, inside and out side. Super clean.....
Also inverter driven welders require less amperage. So have fun.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Your fine weld away.. If you clamp close to the weld I'd say you don't have to worry with the battery.. My father N law has been a welder for 30 some odd years.. He welds on trucks, equipment, ect all the time.. The way he explained is the current goes from the rod to the clamp.. As long as your not clamped on one end and welding on the other. Or your not welding up close to the battery your fine. I've never heard of draining antifreeze or any other thing like that.
X2...I've welded my 900s frame several times and just keep the ground real close to the weld. All is fine so far:) and I've never disconnected the battery.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You should be fine. Over the years i have had a few bad experiences with hifreg tig welding on aluminum frames. But straight dc is prety safe. But some use the hifreg to start the arc in dc. But if it a totch to start or scratch start les of a problem. The new ecms unplug so easy i do it just to ease my mind. Thanks KH

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I agree that since he will be using DC Straight, and not AC - everything should be fine as long as you keep the ground on the cage. For piece of mind, I disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
41,101 Posts
I gouged my roll bar pretty bad, and going to TIG weld that area.

Robert

Just remember the cage / roll bar is only .065 wall, it doesn't take much to blow a hole in that thin of tin... :rm_thumbdown: :rm_thumbdown: :rm_thumbdown:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Whether you need to or not, to keep things safe as possible, I disconnected the ECU and battery. Total combined time is 3-5 minutes, so for me it is way worth the risk mitigation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts