Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the Polaris 3500 lb winch and noticed that after installing it that it is almost impossible to grease the upper a-arm. The stock zert was rubbing against the winch and will eventually rub a hole in the winch housing due to the a-arm moves up and down as you drive. I know it will take a while to make a hole.
I went to the local hardware store and even purchased a low profile zert, but it still isn't low enought. How in the heck do you put the grease zert gun fitting on the zert without removing the winch everytime.
I was thinking about drilling another hole in the a-arm on the side, but that might be a weak point. I believe the threats are 1/4-28. I found a flush style grease zert by Master-carr, which might work. Any simple fixes guys.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
hmm, my winch doesn't hit the zerk on my RZR-S.
But it is pretty impossible to grease.
I was thinking of getting some angled zerk fittings.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
I bought the Polaris 3500 lb winch and noticed that after installing it that it is almost impossible to grease the upper a-arm. The stock zert was rubbing against the winch and will eventually rub a hole in the winch housing due to the a-arm moves up and down as you drive. I know it will take a while to make a hole.
I went to the local hardware store and even purchased a low profile zert, but it still isn't low enought. How in the heck do you put the grease zert gun fitting on the zert without removing the winch everytime.
I was thinking about drilling another hole in the a-arm on the side, but that might be a weak point. I believe the threats are 1/4-28. I found a flush style grease zert by Master-carr, which might work. Any simple fixes guys.
The fitting in the pic you have from Master is an Alemite fitting. Now you have to get an Alemite tip for your grease gun. It looks a lot like a thick needle. They are used on high speed rotating shaft assemblies, wherein a big grease fitting sticking out in the air might run the risk of catching something and ruining your day! Somewhere in my worn out memory, I can picture a piece of machinery that uses a 90 degree fitting with an extra long zerk on it, for just this situation. I may have to sleep on it before I can remember what machinery it was used on. I'll post later when I remember it. I also have a 90 degree TIP for my grease gun. It is priceless for greasing my trucks pitman arms and idler arms. $10 from NAPA or O'reilly/Checkers Kragen.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I knew I had a photo of mine somewhere...here it is:

No problem on the RZR 4. Maybe it was just dumb luck, who knows. :shhh:

just noticed how clean my RZR used to be.....:rollfinger: :rofl3:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the Viper winch must have a smaller housing that the stock Polaris 3500 winch. I don't think I installed the mounting brackets on the wrong side, I'll check..

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If you put the shot of my winch alongside the shot of the Polaris winch you'll see that the Polaris is sitting lower. It is a good comparison because the angle is similar.

The Viper may have a thicker base or his mount could simply be lower. I doubt the Viper housing is smaller. Mine is a 4500 vs. the 3500 Polaris winch.

Can't get them side by side, but this makes it easier to compare.

Maybe a shim or additional plate under the winch to raise it, coupled with the angled fitting will solve your problem.

(BTW PC, it's Zerk.....named after Oscar Zerk - the inventor. Also known as Alemite fittings after the manufacturer of that name.)

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Just shim the Polaris winch and problem will be solved...

The viper winches have better clearance!

·
KC
769 Posts
I have the same winch (Polaris 3500) and mine has plenty of clearance, no rubbing or contact at all, its easy to grease when I jack up the front end so I didnt even have to change the fitting. I would look into you winch mount, something seems wrong.

H

·
0 Posts
MIne had a 90* Zerk from the factory and I can get to it no prob...
I was thinking I had to jack it up last time and let it hang...but just went and tried it and I can get on it with no problems..
Notice I turned the nipple slightly forward..
So long story short you just need a 90* Zerk...maybe they started putting them on later builds?
Oh..and mine does not rub the winch..I kept an ey on it at first thinking it would since it is so close but it hasn't touched at all..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks HIGHOCTANE, I was thinking I had mine installed wrong. My winch is exactly the same set up as yours. I did notice that the zert rubs the winch housing so I replaced the 90 degree zert for the straight one. The straight zert does not rub the outside of the winch housing, but I cannot grease it. The female grease gun adaptor will not go on the straight zert.
I was thinking about drilling a new hole on the inner side of the a-arm, plugging the hole and problem fixed if there is no other way.
Oh I looked at shimming the winch, but if I do that I don't think the cable will line up correctly through the mount in the front.

H

·
0 Posts
Thanks HIGHOCTANE, I was thinking I had mine installed wrong. My winch is exactly the same set up as yours. I did notice that the zert rubs the winch housing so I replaced the 90 degree zert for the straight one. The straight zert does not rub the outside of the winch housing, but I cannot grease it. The female grease gun adaptor will not go on the straight zert.
I was thinking about drilling a new hole on the inner side of the a-arm, plugging the hole and problem fixed if there is no other way.
Oh I looked at shimming the winch, but if I do that I don't think the cable will line up correctly through the mount in the front.
Nah...you have it installed right,there just ins't much clearance. You could raise the winch a little without the rope rubbing I bet if you need to. 1st I'd make sure the Zerk from the factory is screwed all the way in? Mine is pretty close but does not rub.. maybe yours just needed to be screwed in a little farther?
Another option might be to grind a little off of the Zerk so it doesn't rub.as long as you don't grind through it'll be fine..can't be rubbin by much..just barely touching right?
Also yes..you could easily move the fitting if need be.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Sorry about the pics, but does it look like my winch mounting brackets are installed correctly. I installed it last March and have not had a problem except for the grease zert. I thought there was only one way to install those brackets.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the 3500 Polaris winch and 90 degree zerks on my RZR 4. The zerk does rub the winch housing. I think I can add a couple shims (washers) on each winch mounting bolt to stop the rubbing. Thanks for bringing this to everybodies attention.

H

·
0 Posts
I have the 3500 Polaris winch and 90 degree zerks on my RZR 4. The zerk does rub the winch housing. I think I can add a couple shims (washers) on each winch mounting bolt to stop the rubbing. Thanks for bringing this to everybodies attention.
Make sure the zerk is screwed all the way in to the A-arm tube....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well I finially looked at the winch last night and I took it out and put spacers under the winch and re-installed it. The grease zert does not rub the winch housing anymore. Problem solved. Pics below, thanks for all your help guys.

·
RINO CRASHER
314 Posts
Thats what I love about this forum. Everybody helps everybody else out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts