Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
it is all about surface area, which those have less of. in water cooling i have tried both the traditional finned radiators and some similar to the one you linked. the traditional ones always produce better results when you compare like sizes. same basic properties should apply here too

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
I would be concerned with flow. I would worry about starving the motor

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to use the Holz adjustable pressure valve to keep the pressures
at normal. (I have a guage on the dash)
Adding the correct additional amount of oil should keep the level good.

If I use one of these, I can keep the lines lengths to a minimum and mount it directly above the filter area in the bed.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well just bought a 12" double tube type.
I guess I will be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
remember hydralics not compressable, increasing oil pressure is a bad way to make up for restrictions ,costs h.p. and gives you diminising return as pressure goes up at appx 85 psi flow volume of water virtully maxed for a given pipe size all you get is higher volicity I would assume that with oil being thicker and experiance I know oil flow peaks at around 60 psi ,after that you get very little gain in volume and lose big horse power above that high pressure oil pumps cost small block chevys 20 plus h.p. thats why they came out with high volume ones instead

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
remember hydralics not compressable, increasing oil pressure is a bad way to make up for restrictions ,costs h.p. and gives you diminising return as pressure goes up at appx 85 psi flow volume of water virtully maxed for a given pipe size all you get is higher volicity I would assume that with oil being thicker and experiance I know oil flow peaks at around 60 psi ,after that you get very little gain in volume and lose big horse power above that high pressure oil pumps cost small block chevys 20 plus h.p. thats why they came out with high volume ones instead
I would expect the pressures to drop with the addition of a cooler.
Mine are on the high end of acceptable as per the manual now.
The lines are 1/4 " and I am keeping the hoses to a minimum- about 28".
I am going to try the unit and test pressures before installing the adjustable pressure relief valve.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
the smaller diameter of 1/4 inch is going to cut OIL VOLUME/ GALLONS PER HOUR at least in half even if you turn up pressure SEEN THIS COOK MANY A MOTOR Increase in pressure does not mean increase in flow. Think of a pressure nozzle on the end of your garden hose pressure/speed goes up but you dont get as much water,put the open hose in bucket and sount time till full than with pressure spray head ,it will take longer to fill!!! and it gets to be a really bad ratio as pressure goes up.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm not trying to preach or sell a product ,just these motors are sensitive and pricey,I dont know for sure if the restricted oil flow will kill your motor ...but you will reduce flow with that small a tube even if you turn pressure up and high qulity coolers arnt that much money compared to engine cost ,call up manufacturers see what they think ? But as the robot said "danger will robinson"

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We will see.
I will monitor the pressures closely.

This is from the Holz website:

Holz Racing Products Adjustable Oil Pressure Relief Valve (PRV)
Replace your stock PRV bolt with one that is adjustable so that you can monitor and tune for optimum oil pressure.
We have found the stock oil pressure settings to be inconsistent between different RZR motors. Some motors with oil pressure that is too low will inevitably experience problems later on that may not have been detected or remedied without the use of an Adjustable Oil Pressure Relief Valve.
This part is a must for a remote oil cooler set-up. It is common with the addition of the longer oil lines and increased oil capacity for the engine oil pressure to drop.
Recommended for all motors especially ones with higher performance mods.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
I think Dr.Vacation makes a good point.
Pressure and flow are two different things.

This setup might work just fine,,, but dont assume you have enough flow just because you have enough pressure.

:ride:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you every install the cooler. I am curious as to how everything is working? Pictures would be nice too.
Gathering parts as we speak.
I will do a pictorial when I am done and post the results.

As for flow, the cooler has 1/4 inch fittings for large internal chambers.
Flows in one side and makes a u-turn at the end and flows back out same end.
Finned inside and out.
The 1/4 inch fittings seem plenty big enough for a small 800 motor. (although the lifters may require some volume) I will know right away if the lifters collapse at any point that the flow sucks.

I sometimes run in pretty hot and sandy conditions- both muy mal for oil and temps. My buds that run big coolers on their Rhinos keep their motors together.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After receiving the HPD adapter and seeing the large 3/8 NPT fittings (1/2 hose size), I decided to take dr.vacations advise and drill an tap the cooler for the larger fittings.

100 + degree day- garage runs.

Installed the entire system and here are the preliminary findings:
Stock with PoPo oil- 53psi at startup idle. (usually 15-20 hot)

Drained and refilled- new PoPo filter.

New cooler with 30" lines and 0w-40 Mobil 1: 35 psi at startup, 25 psi at hot idle
(allowed fan to kick on) 40 psi at 4000 RPM- no load (in garage)

I think the Mobil 1 is probably lighter at startup than tha PoPo= maybe the large drop in startup pressures.

I will post some photos tomorrow.
I wi probably need some insulation on the lines.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Sounds way-good..you got any picks Bro....I have an Tranny oil cooler I picked up from junk-yard...that I am going to install...

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Did you every install the cooler. I am curious as to how everything is working? Pictures would be nice too.
Gathering parts as we speak.
I will do a pictorial when I am done and post the results.

As for flow, the cooler has 1/4 inch fittings for large internal chambers.
Flows in one side and makes a u-turn at the end and flows back out same end.
Finned inside and out.
The 1/4 inch fittings seem plenty big enough for a small 800 motor. (although the lifters may require some volume) I will know right away if the lifters collapse at any point that the flow sucks.

I sometimes run in pretty hot and sandy conditions- both muy mal for oil and temps. My buds that run big coolers on their Rhinos keep their motors together.
Forget last post asking for Pics..I just red this:rofl3::rofl3:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, here are the photos:

Cooler with 1/4 inch fittings (3/8 hose)

Cooler with newly tapped 3/8 NPT fittings (1/2 inch hose)

Mounted in right side of bed

Lower hose and oil filter adapter:

Added pipe insulation to the lines after photos - quite a bit of heat to the ft panel of the bed from the hoses when running with no air flow. I have plans for some header wrap and a cooling hose to cooler if needed

So far the pressure seems right on the money- I need to run it hard to test before I get the PRV from Holz.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts