Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? Riding over the weekend every time I would go to back up I couldn't see a thing so I would tap the brake some to get a small amount of light!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I mounted a light to my cage that works off a toggle switch that works pretty good... and I ride with a guy that rigged up his rear lights to a proximity switch mounted next to his shifter..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your gauge indicates what gear your in, so tap into that signal and use a relay to light up a lamp.... I ordered a small light bar that will mount on cage using a switch to light up the cargo box and behind when backing up at night...

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
You could install the tower LED Brake-and-Taillight bulbs: they're brighter than hell, draw a LOT less energy, and run cool, so they cure the melted-plastic problem that everyone is having. My two-bits.....

Cheers

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Its super simple to do. I've had one on all three of my RZRs. Get a magnetic switch from McMaster online. Drill a hole in the bottom of your shifter and install the other part of the switch in a small piece of angle iron or aluminum that's bolted to the bracket that holds the shifter.. Have the switch line up when its in reverse. Connect the switch to a relay that activates whatever light you want in the back. I also have a switch wired in that lets me turn the light on when in park so I can access the bed box. Here is a picture of the switch mounted to the shifter. I'm pretty sure the part number for the switch is 65985K13 Its been a while though.. I put one on my XP4 just a few months ago but I had ordered an extra switch when I did my S.. I just use some 3 watt LED lights for the back up lights. Very low voltage so the constant on and off is no big deal. Neither is leaving the bed light on while parked out in the woods taking a break. HTH

Here is my switches in the XP.. You can see the bed light switch this turns the light on even if I'm in park The beer switch provides power to everything if the key is off. With that switch off the key kills the power to all the lights.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a 12 inch 4k lumen led light bar mounted up with a marine switch on the dash. Is great for at night and current draw aint bad, so it can be left on for a while. I have an xp4 and they are a bear to manuever in reverse in tight trails and woods in the dark if you can't see. have backed into many a tree even with the lights.

·
Registered
526 Posts
One cool unique feature of the '08 model is factory reverse lights. Not sure why they discontinued in '09. Probably puts off too much heat for the tail light cover with multiple bulbs on at once.

Otherwise I would mount a simple light run to a dash switch. (unswitched power)
Or that magnetic switch mentioned above, combined with a manual switch would be the ultimate setup.

·
Registered
839 Posts
This is an old pic, but I used a 10" light bar. It doubles as dance floor lights in a field too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same basic thing that 8Ball did. Used a magnetic switch on the shifter as well as a manual switch, both wired to a twin LED flood on the back rack. Works great!

Just be aware that it eliminates any excuses in court for backing over the wife...:scared2:

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Same basic thing that 8Ball did. Used a magnetic switch on the shifter as well as a manual switch, both wired to a twin LED flood on the back rack. Works great!

Just be aware that it eliminates any excuses in court for backing over the wife...:scared2:
lol I've been tempted to add a back up beeper to the XP4 also just for chits and giggles. I always tell who ever is behind me to assume I can't see them. Most of the time I can't!! I use my rear bumper like a curb feeler.. Back up till I bump something then go forward haha

·
Registered
880 Posts
BarRZR, where do I find the tower LED lights & turn signal bulbs? Thanks Tony
I was thinking about ordering these led light bulbs for the taillights. Are these the correct ones?
3157 LED Bulb - Dual Intensity 45 SMD LED Tower | LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

I have the tribal whips rear light bar. It works great for reverse or a cargo light. The ambers are also a great safety feature when it gets dusty. And since it is mounted high you can see the bright brake lights after the factory tail lights are covered in mud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not trying to jack but...

Where is that switch bank mounted? and where did you find that beer switch???

Here is my switches in the XP.. You can see the bed light switch this turns the light on even if I'm in park The beer switch provides power to everything if the key is off. With that switch off the key kills the power to all the lights.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
838 Posts
Your gauge indicates what gear your in, so tap into that signal and use a relay to light up a lamp.... I ordered a small light bar that will mount on cage using a switch to light up the cargo box and behind when backing up at night...
Yea, so I thought too.

The gear indication switch in the transmission doesn't select a particular input line, it selects a different resistance for each gear. So, it's not a switch, but a signal that reports back to the ECU at a varied level. The ECU deciphers what level and then reports to the dash "I'm in X gear".

I thought it was gonna be a simple tie into the correct signal line like you mentioned, but nope, not that easy.

I like the magnetic switch idea - think I'll go that route.

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Not trying to jack but...

Where is that switch bank mounted? and where did you find that beer switch???

Sorry I didn't see your post. Switches came from Sidebysidesports.com but several other places sell them also.
The switch bank is in a overhead console I made for my XP4. It sits above the driver. Then have a radio in the middle and another panel on the passenger side with nothing so far. Had planned on making a little phone cubby or something. Remove a few screws and that panel comes off so you can access the wiring and a fuse panel that's mounted in there. You can kind of see it in this picture. At work and this is the only one on my photo bucket that shows much of it.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I wanted a back up light that I could also use as a working light. Besides, I am not always wanting to light up the world every time I slip it into reverse, so I just simply rigged one up to a switch on my dash. It has been on about 2 years now, use it now and again.

That is a Rigid Dually wide with a diffused lens, makes a nice sized work area behind the machine, big enough to skin an elk, which is exactly what I had in mind.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts