Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Can't 'Member.
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a racing fan and have been watching the various series try to keep the fan interest with their IRacing programs.
It is clear you can spend as much as you want on this stuff, rumor has it Denny Hamlin from NASCAR has a Sim set up, (they call them "rigs" apparently) worth about 40k.
Any of you guys do this, and what is a good path into this deal?
One of our sons and grandson live in another state and it would be fun to be avle to go online and race against them in a virtual world.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
79 Posts
You might see if Kyle Larson has his stuff listed for sale yet. He won't be using it soon and could probably use the money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means. :LOL: But I dabble in iRacing with a somewhat budget setup. I think I have less than $1,500 into my gaming computer. I bought it at Best Buy. I know everyone jumps on the "you can build one for WAY cheaper why would you buy one" bandwagon but I have neither the time, desire, or patience to figure out how to build my own PC. I have more money than time to waste, so I buy my gaming PC's.
Anyway, I have a middle of the road gaming PC, and a steering wheel setup from Fanatec. I think I have somewhere around $650 or $700 into my wheel setup.
You can get much cheaper force feedback wheels that will work just fine.
Here is where my setup gets a little ghetto. I built my "cockpit" out of 2x4's using a design I found online, and the driver's seat from a 90's Monte Carlo I had that the engine blew up in.
You can find affordable racing rigs from companies like PlaySeat for around $350. I plan to upgrade to something like one of the rigs from PlaySeat in the near future. I built my 2x4 rig years ago when I was a broke ass college kid playing Forza on Xbox and have been dragging it around every since.
The thing to remember about iRacing is it takes a pretty good monetary investment to get into it. You have to pay a subscription fee to join the service, then additional cars and tracks all cost money. It is NOT the place to go if you plan to wreck people and cause problems. They will give you a lifetime ban and all that money will have been spent for nothing. People spend thousands of hours taking iRacing very seriously, practicing, gaining licenses and moving up the ranks. It's where everyone goes to race that gets sick of the assholes on Xbox that want to wreck everyone and cause problems.
If you want a more affordable, lighter hearted place to race your kids/grandkids I think you would be very impressed with the Forza series of games on Xbox One. You can still use a quality steering wheel setup, the graphics and environments are still really good, and it's a lot easier and less frustrating for the kids because you can set them up with assists that help them with steering and braking. You won't find that on iRacing...it's meant to be as real as possible and the cars are hard to drive. Even for adults.
On Xbox you can also set up a private lobby and invite only your friends and family to race so you don't have to worry about buttholes getting in and causing problems.

·
Can't 'Member.
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the detailed response, it is just what I was looking for. I can see myself "going down the rabbit hole" of Iracing during the winter, but it sounds like perhaps I will start with an xbox system but build out the rest to move into Iracing when it is time. Nothing wrong with the 2x4 rig, I have seen a few of them on youtube.
I will probably fab a rig out of tubing, and put a spare Rzr seat in it for the time being.
Again, thanks for the response.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response, it is just what I was looking for. I can see myself "going down the rabbit hole" of Iracing during the winter, but it sounds like perhaps I will start with an xbox system but build out the rest to move into Iracing when it is time. Nothing wrong with the 2x4 rig, I have seen a few of them on youtube.
I will probably fab a rig out of tubing, and put a spare Rzr seat in it for the time being.
Again, thanks for the response.
You're very welcome. If you check out the Forza series on xbxone make sure you look into the Forza Motorsport game as well as the Forza Horizon series. The Motorsport (I think they're up to #7 now) is all track based racing on tracks modeled after real tracks all over the world. The Horizon series (on #4 right now) is based on an open world with highways, back roads, dirt roads, snow, rally races, offroad areas, mountains, desert, you name it, it has it. Very fun game. Both versions have hundreds of cars that you can modify, tune, paint, customize until your heart's content.
Check out some youtube videos of them. You'll be impressed and your grandkids will love the Lego and Hotwheels map add-ons for the Horizon 4 series.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts