Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning now a Air B&B trip, 4 adults 2 Sxs's to either Idaho or Montana-
Been looking on line but all the maps I see are not very clear of what is offered in riding Trails for UTV's

Who can point me in a good direction? or don't mind chatting...

Thanks

· Premium Member
2020 900 Trail Fox Edition
2,162 Posts
I live in western Idaho and use the USFS and BLM maps for trail information. You might check online for ATV/SXS clubs in Boise or CoureD'alene area for ideas some post their trail rides.

· Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in western Idaho and use the USFS and BLM maps for trail information. You might check online for ATV/SXS clubs in Boise or CoureD'alene area for ideas some post their trail rides.
I did that way before I posted and didn't gfind anything of value to show trail maps- as to why I posted if a member would provide a direction to take.

· Premium Member
2020 900 Trail Fox Edition
2,162 Posts
I thought I did that with my comment on USFS and BLM maps which show hiking, two wheel, 50", etc. Look up the Magruder corridor this might be along the lines of what you are looking for.

· Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out this website.... Idaho Motorized Trails
Looking at it briefly, seems to be more inline what I am looking for - Great thanks for taking the time for the link.(y)
I may use that heading to modify to look into Montana also- Seems Idaho is kind of restricted to 50" -again but that just looking at the link a bit.

· Registered
607 Posts
ID has more 50" trails than other states seem to, but they have plenty that are not.

Pick the area you want to go to and then look up the MVUM for that area and it will show you all of the trails. Here is one example for Challis, ID Salmon-Challis National Forest - Maps & Publications

You can also use one of the main nav products, such as those listed in this current thread, Best Nav? to find riding areas. I use OnX hunt to do most of my searching and riding.

· Registered
2022 rzr 900
361 Posts
Yes Idaho has a lot of 50 inch trails. That is what makes it special. What most folks are calling trails are narrow roads, not really trails. If you want to really see Idaho take a 50 inch machine.

· Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes Idaho has a lot of 50 inch trails. That is what makes it special. What most folks are calling trails are narrow roads, not really trails. If you want to really see Idaho take a 50 inch machine.
Yeah that’s a HARD NO ! ... Liike a golf cart 😎Guess I will look into Montana-
We have so many trails around here
( Wyoming ) with zero restrictions.
been all over and wanted to try more north this year

· Premium Member
86 Posts
I live in NW Montana close to Idaho and spend time riding in both. Montana really doesn't have much for UTV/ATV trails. We have a fair amount of single track for dirt bikes, a little bit of stuff for the under 50" machines and very little for anything over 50". 90% of what we ride in western Montana is old logging roads and other dirt roads through the mountains. There are more dirt roads than you could explore in a lifetime. I don't know what area of MT you'll be visiting but here in the Flathead Valley we have the Wild Bill OHV area. It's worth spending a day goofing around there but it's the only "trail" you'll find in my area for stuff over 50" wide. We're also right next to Glacier Park. If you pull the roof and windows off your machine The Sun Highway is amazing in a side by side. Way better visibility than being in a car. If you do decide to visit NW Montana I can point you at some great rides where you will see some beautiful stuff. If you're here early enough in the year we can make the trip up to Lake Koocanusa. It's a reservoir that crosses the Canada/US border. Every spring they pull the water level down a long way to make room for runoff from melting snow in the mountains. While the water level is down it exposes a ton of stuff to ride and explore including some smaller sand dunes. Water is on it's way back up pretty fast by early May. Usually not much ride able ground left by June.
Idaho is definitely more off-road friendly than Montana but still a large percentage of over 50" machine riding in Idaho will be dirt roads and logging roads. Eastern Montana might have more off-road type riding but we don't venture over that way. It's all flat ground and the wind blows 100mph 24 hours a day. They can keep that crap.
If you hit NW Montana you might as well hit northern Idaho. There's plenty of opportunities around Mullan/Wallace/Kellogg Idaho. They have a fair amount of old railroad that has been turned into dirt road that still goes through the tunnels and across the bridges. A couple hours further north in Idaho you can check out the Coolin area. Again mostly dirt road cruising but beautiful scenery.

You'll need license plates and off-road stickers for both Montana and Idaho. The police are pretty lenient though, don't go through a bunch of hassle to install a horn and turn signals and all that BS unless you already have it. There's no inspections or anything here. I put license plates on my machines and all I add on top of the factory lighting is rear view mirrors. Montana treats UTV's like motorcycles and we don't require turn signals on motorcycles. We are supposed to have a horn, but in decades of getting pulled over in Montana I have never had an officer check for any horn/lights etc.
I did get pulled over ONCE by a highway patrolman because I had my whips turned on while we were on the street. It was a Friday night cruise/fundraiser thing for a local kid with some sort of cancer. We were mostly in city limits and none of the city cops even looked twice at me. I headed a couple miles down the road to drop the wife off at home and as soon as we left city limits he lit me up. I said "awe come on man, we're just cruising, supporting the fundraiser and having some fun." He just said "that's cool, can you make it do red/white/blue?" So I set them up red/white/blue and he said "well as long as you're mostly in city limits I don't care, you're their problem not mine, just don't let me see you with them turned on unless they're red/white/blue." I saw him several more times that evening and he just gave us the thumbs up and kept rollin.

Now that I've written a novel I hope this helps. If I know when you'll be here and you'd like to get in touch if you're in my area you're certainly welcome to join us if we're doing any riding. Give me a little bit and I'll reply to this with some youtube videos that showcase the area and types of riding you can expect here and northern Idaho. I'll do my best to answer any questions you have. Bring bear spray or a sidearm big enough to kill a grizzly bear.

· Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the most informative information
I have been in the sun hwy on my Harley and is my fav Hwy in the lower 48
Even did a helicopter ride and that’s the best way to see Glaicer Nat Park.
Like to stay in touch
I’ll P/M you and we can go from there
Again- Thank you amd look forward to planning a trip -

· Premium Member
86 Posts
You can skip the first minute or so of this first video. These guys annoy me a little bit. They use the term trails pretty loosely. Maybe to city people dirt roads are trails? This video does show you a little bit of the stuff you can expect right outside the west entrance to Glacier Park.

This video is from Ultimate Adventure but it showcases what you can find on the Wild Bill system. You can skip the first couple minutes to get past the intro stuff.

Here is a good representation of the riding up at Koocanusa. If you hit this during "Fun Days" you'll see stupid human tricks involving vehicles of all types. Be careful in the mud, there is some quicksand type stuff that will eat machines.

Here's a ride by Mullan Idaho. Shefoot Mountain is worth checking out. Also in the Mullan area.

Close to Mullan is Wallace Idaho. Wallace to Avery on the Moon Pass Road is cool. Then have pizza and beer and the Avery TFP. On the trip back go up the highway a couple miles and hit Slate Creek. Check out Slate Meadows as well.

I don't imagine you'll sit down and watch all this junk at one time, but as you get time, it gives you an idea.

· Registered
5 Posts
An earlier post suggested checking out the websites of local ATV clubs in your area of interest. Here are 2 clubs in the Coeur D Alene area. Both clubs have links on their websites to maps of local rides. In addition, the Back-Country club has a link to their ride schedule for 2022. Highly recommend checking them out. Cheers...!

backcountryatv-utv.org

Home - North Idaho ATV Association

1 - 19 of 19 Posts