Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

another sliced sidewall.....

4K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  8ball_99 
#1 ·
Ran over a rock on the weekend and sliced another sidewall.....Have new big horn tires, dealer told me to run around 8 psi in them. Think I pinched the tire with the rim because there is two slices one above the other. Have 14" rims from polaris, could it be the bigger rims causing the problem this is 3 tires in the last year.

#3 ·
I noticed I have a bad slice in the sidewall of one of my bighorns but it seems to hold air just fine as of now.
They should consider redesigning their sidewall to carry more lugs or agressive patterens all around the outside of the wall to help withstand the sidewall abuse.

I suppose that would cut in on their sales in new tires though. LOL.

#5 ·
I have 12" rims with big horns and logged over 400 miles through rocks and such with no issues. I run between 6 and 10psi depending. If i rock crawled all of the time i believe i'd get a set of 12" rims for that. those 14's sure do look nice, but it pretty much ends there.

#6 ·
I think it is more the 14" rims than it is the tires. I have 14" rims on mine and have pinched my tire twice now. I switched to 12" and put about 300 miles on them and have not had a problem.

#16 ·
What are the geometric factors here that cause this pinching on the 14" vs. the 12" on rocks? I used to run 14" wheels on my ATV and never had any issues. Not really seeing why this would happen, but believe the stories....sucks for sure. Those BH tires are $$. Glad I have the factory 12s now.

#10 ·
thanks for the replies....my first two tires were not BigHorns, they were what polaris put on the rims, goodyear mts I think. For the latest slice in the Bighorns, we were riding down a trail and there was a rock on the edge that no one saw... 3 out of 6 bikes, (two were side x sides, one atv) punctured their tires....sucks, but I guess thats riding

#11 ·
As already stated, it's the rims. You need to switch to 12"
rims. Otherwise you'll keep having to replace your tires.
I have the 12" rims with Bighorn tires and I've never had
any trouble. My RZR is gen 1 and it's had the Bighorns on
since I bought it, same set and there still in great shape.

#14 ·
8 ply tire sure is heavy, Eversince I got into utv's in 04 I have run the Bighorns Because they look like the old BFgoodrich Rambo race tires. Ive never had a flat running my Bighorns in the desert I would say it was driver error OR the 14 inch wheel. Eather way it's part of the fun!

#18 ·
I ran Goodyears on 14"for 1500mi. Happier with with the B Horn tires, but a 2" slice in the middle of the sidewall this week end after 800mi does not help the budget.

#19 ·
I am almost convinced that it is the 14" rims however, the two other bikes, (one a rhino, the other a can am atv) both had 12" rims. Guess it was a bad shaped rock that we all ran over. We don't do rock crawling, we ride woods and swamps, and rough trails. We were on the old railway tracks, grown in a bit with trees and taller grass and ran over a tire killer rock. Looking at it on the way back, it wasn't much of a rock, I guess we just hit it the wrong way.

As I mentioned earlier..............SUCKS

#20 ·
I don't know boys but I have 14" rock crusher wheels and now run GBC Grim Reaper 8 ply radials. 14lb recommended pressure ... 1500 miles no problem. Also ran the original (14") Goodyears for 2500 miles no problems other than slow leaks. JMO. I'm not a believer that 14" wheel are the problem ... but hey what do I know ... :)

#23 ·
Exactly .. 14" rims are fine you just better be running more Air. Problem is you already have half the side wall which causes it to ride stiffer. Now on top of that you need twice the air which will also ride stiffer. Sorry they are for looks not function.. Its like low profile tires on a truck.

#26 ·
But you said your self you run 14lbs with NP.. Most run 8-10 in just bighorns.. 14" will hold up as well as 12" as long as you run more air.. If you run more air you are getting a stiffer ride.. Just no way around it. Little less traction in most cases to

#28 ·
It will, Thats why sports cars have lower profile tires.. Less sidewall flex will make it handle better. Just will ride rougher and increase the chances of damaging the rim/tire if you hit a bump..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.