Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search, but still have a couple questions.......

After 153 hours and 2800 miles on my original belt, it let go today while going 60 mph for about 20 miles. It was about 80 degrees out so it wasn't too hot out. This ocurred about 80 miles into our 130 mile ride, and happened after a long distance uphill grade. Clutches were very hot after and it looks like the outer part of the belt delaminated from the inner part. There were chunks, fuzz, and the rest of the belt (see pic)

See the pics (Fried belt and backup belt from a '4') There's no clutch play, and my RZR ran very well on the new belt for the ride home (about 50 miles).

I;m going to replace the belt with a new one but want to know what else do I need to inspect so I don't fry another one soon. I'll check the vents, but read something about washers and a bearing and don't understand what I'm looking for there. Please help, THX:boohoo:

Here's the cover with a cut in it from the belt

Here's the outer part of the belt (inner is in chunks)

Here's the clutches now

Here's the secondary now

The primary now

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
take the belt off and check the bearing in the primary. make sure it is easy to turn with your hand. also make sure there are thin washers on each side of the bearing. sometimes the washers disintegrate when the clutch gets hot enough to blow a belt.
with that many miles you may need new buttons too. it looks like they are smearing a lot.

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cliff, but Buttons??? And where in this assembly are the washers and bearing?

To replace any of this, do I need a clutch puller to remove the primary?

THX

·
King of crash!
31,881 Posts
i wish i could get that many hrs and miles on a belt.... it may be the pic but the secondary looks like it has some rubber build up on the inner sheve and i see alot of clutch dust on it

·
Registered
663 Posts
Grant, back when my RZR was stock, I blew the OE belt up so bad, the plastic cover started smoking...Not only did I have issues with the stuff Cliff mentioned, the plastic looking rollers on the secondary clutch flat spotted and wouldn't roll any more be sure not to limit your inspection to the primary clutch - If everything turns out to be good, I would clean the belt riding surfaces with a scotch bright pad and rubbing alcohol to remove any old rubber and to help the life of the new belt:ride:

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. John, I might need to trade you some more coke and ice cream for the shop in exchange for the use of your clutch puller.......pleeeez! Also, do you mind if I bring you my secondary for you to look at?

Johnny cat, do you think the belt was riding on top of those sheeves?

Tuf Skin, I will read.........but here's some more pics in the meantime. THX

Is this the primary bearing? If so, I don't see any washers.

Here's the secondary shaft (some rust may be inhibiting the secondary?)

Here's the secondary outer sheeves, again (rubber build up)

·
Registered
663 Posts
"Thanks all. John, I might need to trade you some more coke and ice cream for the shop in exchange for the use of your clutch puller.......pleeeez! Also, do you mind if I bring you my secondary for you to look at?"

My RZR is stuck on my center rack as we speak - You're more then welcome to use the clutch remover tool - If you can't wait until Monday PM me your cell # -- I could meet you down there after racquetball (10:30ish or so)

·
King of crash!
31,881 Posts
its the rubber on top from when the belt broke that i saw....the pic of the primary bearing is blury but it looks like both washers are on the sides of it.... the bearing is what the belt rides on when its on.... spin it and see how free it feels...the rust is on the sec shaft so wont hurt the clutch but needs to be cleaned up thats alot... you must get water in their somehow.

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks gentlemen. As for now, I think some good cleaning of the clutch is in order and then a replacement. I'll see how it goes. Thanks again!

G

·
Did a search, but still have a couple questions.......

After 153 hours and 2800 miles on my original belt, it let go today while going 60 mph for about 20 miles. It was about 80 degrees out so it wasn't too hot out. This ocurred about 80 miles into our 130 mile ride, and happened after a long distance uphill grade. Clutches were very hot after and it looks like the outer part of the belt delaminated from the inner part. There were chunks, fuzz, and the rest of the belt (see pic)
I'd be happy with a belt lasting 2800 miles..considering the conditions at the time of failure, wouldn't be suprised at the failure...probably needs some clutch maintenance..but I wouldn't be concerned about some abnormal cause like restricted airflow ect..I think you got your money out of that belt...jmo

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yes, I agree.....I'm definitely not faulting the belt. Thing is, though, I wasn't aware of any special clutch maintenance. Like the book says, I inspected the belt at 100 hours and inspected the clutch at 100 hours. What I didn't do at 100 hours, tho, was clean the clutch. This may sound retarded, but it didn't look dirty to me. Oh well, if it wasn't for tards like me, Polaris wouldn't be in business. I help when I can!:)

Anyone know a proper way to clean the clutches in the future? I'm thinking I could remove the belt and wash with warm soapy water and air dry. While the belt is off, maybe use brake cleaner on the clutch assemblies with a scotchbrite pad?

Lemme know, plz......

G

·
Oh yes, I agree.....I'm definitely not faulting the belt. Thing is, though, I wasn't aware of any special clutch maintenance. Like the book says, I inspected the belt at 100 hours and inspected the clutch at 100 hours. What I didn't do at 100 hours, tho, was clean the clutch. This may sound retarded, but it didn't look dirty to me. Oh well, if it wasn't for tards like me, Polaris wouldn't be in business. I help when I can!:)

Anyone know a proper way to clean the clutches in the future? I'm thinking I could remove the belt and wash with warm soapy water and air dry. While the belt is off, maybe use brake cleaner on the clutch assemblies with a scotchbrite pad?

Lemme know, plz......
The service manual has some good info on clutch maintenance..
But yes that method is sound for cleaning..just don't get too carried away with the brake cleaner..spray it on a lint free rag not directly on the clutches IMO..I wound't want it on the phenolic type fiber bushings.. Also...the soap washing of the belt is a new belt technique to wash off lubricants that get on the belt during manufacturing....but shouldn't hurt a used belt as long as it is completely dry before use...just not really needed IMO..
.Best method of cleaning is to dissaemble everything..but something is better than nothing.
With that said..my point was more that even with perfect clutch maintenance the "5000" mile belt quoted by Polaris is a very rare occurance..maybe you could nurse one that long if you babied it.

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys!

Tuf-Skin, it's an 08 converted to 's' suspension. No motor mods, there is a little extra weight, however, due to spare tire, a/m cage, etc. It even has stock wheel and tire size combo.......12" w/ 25"......

·
Registered
15,386 Posts

# Add Part# Description Quantity
- 1322743 Asm., Drive Clutch [Incl. All Less 3,5-8,15] 1 Usage
1 3514492 Bearing 1 Usage
2 7556335 Washer, Clutch 2 Usage
3 7043199 Spring, Clutch, Blue/Red 1 Usage
4 3576510 Bearing, Cover 1 Usage
5 5430261 Bushing 1 Usage
6 7575202 Washer, Interlock 1 Usage
7 7518197 Bolt 1 Usage
8 5210748 Washer, Flat 1 Usage
9 7518062 Screw 6 Usage
10 5431936 Button, Clutch 6 Usage
10 5431936 Button, Clutch 6 Usage
11 5020422 Pin, Roller 3 Usage
12 5430945 Washer 6 Usage
13 1321622 Asm., Roller and Bushing 3 Usage
14 7541906 Nut, FLEXLOC 3 Usage
15 5632286 Weight, Shift, 20-62F [Built 2/06/09 and After] 3 Usage
15 5631700 Weight, Shift, 20-62 [Built 2/05/09 and Before] 3 Usage
16 7512266 Bolt, Shoulder 3 Usage
17 1521185 Asm., Bearing, Non-Braking 1 Usage
18 5631903 Spacer, Clutch 1 Usage
19 5437199 Spacer, Clutch, Limiter

# Add Part# Description Quantity
1 7556120 Bushing AR Usage
2 1322707 Asm., Driven Clutch, EBS [Incl. 6,8-19][Built 9/30/08 and Before] 1 Usage
3 5250562 Washer, Domed 1 Usage
4 7552901 Washer, Spring Lock 1 Usage
5 7515382 Bolt 1 Usage
6 3234205 Ring, Retaining 1 Usage
7 3211113 Belt, Drive 1 Usage
8 7710564 Retainer, Spring, Inner 1 Usage
9 7556226 Washer, Thrust 2 Usage
10 3234234 Asm., Cam 1 Usage
11 3234192 Screw, Cap 4 Usage
12 7710522 Ring, Retaining 1 Usage
13 3234207 Roller, Clutch 2 Usage
14 7710523 E-Ring, Retaining 2 Usage
15 3234452 Spring, Compression, Yellow 1 Usage
16 3234201 Pin, Roller 2 Usage
17 3234197 Roller, Clutch 2 Usage
18 3234202 Pin, Spring Slotted 2 Usage
19 3234203 Bearing, Ball

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.