Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
WTF !!!
So it's a mister for inside your belt box?
I'm shocked - Very shocked.
I would have thought this to be a very bad idea.

So it is enough water to cool the temp down but not make the belt slip or mix with dust and gum up your moving clutch parts?

I will have to stay tuned to see how this plays out.

:surprise

·
Registered
962 Posts
This has been out for a couple of months now, seen it in person. All it is, is a mister nozzle with hooked up to a windshield spray pump and fill bottle. You can make this yourself for around $30, ordering the parts on Amazon. I posted them before on here. Assaults is the same thing with an aluminum case for the fill bottle to sit in. Way overpriced.

Assault says they have run it for some 2000+ miles with no issues. The concept as to why the water doesn't hurt it is the clutch components are so hot and the mist is so minor that when it makes contact it essentially evaporates right away. If you are to run this or build your own, make sure you use distilled water in the holding tank. Those misters clog really easy.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
So, as for me, I applaud the "out of the box" thinkers like Assault Ind. Those guys have come up with some pretty ingenious ideas for products that have purpose. These are the folks that innovate and create. Put the time and effort into trying it, testing it, changing it, improving it. I am not a rich guy but I will spend money on things that have a purpose, solve a problem or make something better. I like BLING as much as anyone else but spending $150 for led lights that put a glow on your tires or something like that, to me is pretty cool to look at, but kinda useless for the most part.
Thank you Assault Industries for pushing new ideas and innovation. God bless American ingenuity!!!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, as for me, I applaud the "out of the box" thinkers like Assault Ind. Those guys have come up with some pretty ingenious ideas for products that have purpose. These are the folks that innovate and create. Put the time and effort into trying it, testing it, changing it, improving it. I am not a rich guy but I will spend money on things that have a purpose, solve a problem or make something better. I like BLING as much as anyone else but spending $150 for led lights that put a glow on your tires or something like that, to me is pretty cool to look at, but kinda useless for the most part.
Thank you Assault Industries for pushing new ideas and innovation. God bless American ingenuity!!!
I have no problem with this. Assault makes some pretty cool looking stuff. If I end up with some spare cash lying around, I might pick this system up just to see how well it works. There were a couple of times this summer when the temps were in the high 90's and belt temps were okay, but I would like to see them cooler, this would help.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The issue with a mister is corrosion over time. The minerals in the water will cook out and some parts are going to rust. A mister might even get a belt damp enough to slip. You could use distilled water, but that may become a pain to deal with, but you still have the other issues. My belt temps already run 115F - 135F with my wind wings. (Depending on outside air temps)

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The issue with a mister is corrosion over time. The minerals in the water will cook out and some parts are going to rust. A mister might even get a belt damp enough to slip. You could use distilled water, but that may become a pain to deal with, but you still have the other issues. My belt temps already run 115F - 135F with my wind wings. (Depending on outside air temps)
It states to use distilled water. And Roger, we've talked before. If all of us had your riding style know one would be having issues. For instance, i was on a stretch of trail where i had my machine to the floorboard so long it wouldn't go any faster...for around 5 miles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
10,237 Posts
What temp gauge do you have? I am guessing not a Razorback.

You must have one of those that measure the air temp in the case.

Normal belt temps taken at the belt is 145 to 165 just cruising along at 45-60 mph and runs up to 200 or so at higher speeds.

On the video, the belt on the can am was already low, it didn't need it.

The can am runs cooler than the Polaris does

Todd

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I do have a Razorback belt temp gauge. I've checked it with a laser temp instrument. The difference in my lower temps is I have wind wings that force air into my air intakes on both sides. My 45-50 mph belt temps are only 135F - 140F depending outside air temps. Plus what many have as far as dust on my air filter I have at a 1000 miles what others have at 100-200 miles. I also ride like a normal person and just trail ride. I don't have a lead foot. I have over 15+K miles on my 2015 and I hope to put on another 15K. I usually put on around 3K - 3.5K miles per year.

Normal belt temps taken at the belt is 145 to 165 just cruising along at 45-60 mph and runs up to 200 or so at higher speeds.

Todd

·
Registered
987 Posts
I do have a Razorback belt temp gauge. I've checked it with a laser temp instrument. The difference in my lower temps is I have wind wings that force air into my air intakes on both sides. My 45-50 mph belt temps are only 135F - 140F depending outside air temps. Plus what many have as far as dust on my air filter I have at a 1000 miles what others have at 100-200 miles. I also ride like a normal person and just trail ride. I don't have a lead foot. I have over 15+K miles on my 2015 and I hope to put on another 15K. I usually put on around 3K - 3.5K miles per year.

Todd
So if someone doesn't ride like you they're not riding " normal" ?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Quote: "So if someone doesn't ride like you they're not riding " normal" ?"

Not at all. There are many types of users. I'm just not an abuser or a submariner. Wearing parts out is different from breaking parts from hard or abusive riding styles. Parts are far more likely to fail with hard riding styles vs a more easy going approach. The really big difference is easy use users usually get to keep more of their money in the pockets and not have to work another 10 years to retire since they spent it all on broken parts, or have to walk home or have to miss the rest of their trip because they broke down. :)
Plus the more money I get to keep in my pocket the more trips I can go on. :)

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote: "So if someone doesn't ride like you they're not riding " normal" ?"

Not at all. There are many types of users. I'm just not an abuser or a submariner. Wearing parts out is different from breaking parts from hard or abusive riding styles. Parts are far more likely to fail with hard riding styles vs a more easy going approach. The really big difference is easy use users usually get to keep more of their money in the pockets and not have to work another 10 years to retire since they spent it all on broken parts, or have to walk home or have to miss the rest of their trip because they broke down. :)
Plus the more money I get to keep in my pocket the more trips I can go on. :)
So you meant to say, "I just cruise the trails." as opposed to "I also ride like a normal person and just trail ride"

It happens, sometimes many of us think what we do is the best thing ever. I look at those that bury their machines in mud and just don't get it, or those that climb hills or rocks and break parts on a regular basis and don't get it. Or those that ride so slow that they barely need high gear and don't get it.

To each their own though. I prefer to run mine like Robby Gordon, minus all the parts breakage. I like cruising the trails at 50 ish, on on the open straights run as fast as my machine will go. Our trails are basically sand, some rock and some dirt so the sand really sucks the HP and puts a strain on the clutch components and the dust in the air gets pulled into everything.

Since I ride like that, my oil/trans fluid changes are every 15-20 hours, and the clutches get inspected, sand blown out and cleaned after every ride and the filter changed depending on how dusty the conditions were. Wheel bearings and suspension get greased twice a season.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Spraying water on the belts and clutches? Great idea! :clap:

ahahaha
Hey Scott, I believe the better description is "misting". I don't think the system from Assault sprays water. It is more like a mist that cools the air but almost instantly evaporates.
You know those hot summer days sitting out on the patio in Bakersfield with the misters on with a little breeze.. That fine mist cools the air but doesn't soak everyone.

·
Registered
303 Posts

ahahaha
Hey Scott, I believe the better description is "misting". I don't think the system from Assault sprays water. It is more like a mist that cools the air but almost instantly evaporates.
You know those hot summer days sitting out on the patio in Bakersfield with the misters on with a little breeze.. That fine mist cools the air but doesn't soak everyone.
Yes I get that but... Misters will get stuff wet, especially if you put that stuff inches away from the nozzle. IMO spraying water in there, mist or whatever is just asking for problems. I would never do it, but to each his own.

I think a better and safer solution is a blower setup if you really need to cool the belt.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts

ahahaha
Yes I get that but... Misters will get stuff wet, especially if you put that stuff inches away from the nozzle. IMO spraying water in there, mist or whatever is just asking for problems. I would never do it, but to each his own.

I think a better and safer solution is a blower setup if you really need to cool the belt.
Yeahhh there is a whole lot of air hot air moving in the clutch housing a fine mist of water is gonna evaporate in half a second or faster. Now if there were mist pumped into the housing with car stopped, and idling, the mist might get on the clutch. If the belt is hot the clutch is going to be hot... Blow a belt and you have to let the clutches cool down for about a half hour before you can start working on getting the belt changed.
Like I mentioned, Assault Industries is a top notch company. I have seen them in the desert doing product testing.

But I respect your concern Scott.. Take it easy out there my man!!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

ahahaha

The problem with a blower is it has to be done the correct way, or one will actually hinder airflow in WFO situations.

Cooling the intake charge is not a bad idea. I never thought of misting water, I would have though a small bottle of Nitrous would instantly cool the air.

Clutches are always going to create heat, pulling that heat away from them and out of the case is the problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts