Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great way to tie it down! Same way we do it..... We also tow in neutral so the gears aren't engaged. Have towed 1000's of miles this way with no issues.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,455 Posts
It's better than average, but not yet great. Solid start though! What's missing is "down". You're pulling mostly forward and back. That's one of the key advantage of tire nets and straps, as they can build a lot of down angle while also stopping fore and aft. The handlebar adapter your using (and that's what that's for) is ok, but if you'd use the straps you have and pass through the top of the rim and back you'd pick up quite a bit of down. Assuming your straps are long enough a lot of guys would double them up.

I get the trailer design limits you, but shorter pulls are also much better. Less stretch and less "arc" is allowed. If "arc" isn't apparent, picture your setup upside down. The sxs is going to be lose quick. Little holding "down" or "onto" the trailer, and what little down angle you have is super long. Which means it could move a foot off the trailer and have almost no arc, or angle, increase to the straps cause the mounts points are so far away. Lots of times trailers tie points are just too limited though, so often it is what it is, but as a practice you try to find short runs.

In your case, with a wood deck trailer, the fix is easy. Even harbor freight sells surface mounts D rings for trailers. Easy install, and you'd get short runs and more down if you changed a bit.

Personally I tie so that at least two straps can fail. You're a bit short or safe failure points. You might see if you can get at least one pulling straight back.

Good luck!

-d

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's better than average, but not yet great. Solid start though! What's missing is "down". You're pulling mostly forward and back. That's one of the key advantage of tire nets and straps, as they can build a lot of down angle while also stopping fore and aft. The handlebar adapter your using (and that's what that's for) is ok, but if you'd use the straps you have and pass through the top of the rim and back you'd pick up quite a bit of down. Assuming your straps are long enough a lot of guys would double them up.

I get the trailer design limits you, but shorter pulls are also much better. Less stretch and less "arc" is allowed. If "arc" isn't apparent, picture your setup upside down. The sxs is going to be lose quick. Little holding "down" or "onto" the trailer, and what little down angle you have is super long. Which means it could move a foot off the trailer and have almost no arc, or angle, increase to the straps cause the mounts points are so far away. Lots of times trailers tie points are just too limited though, so often it is what it is, but as a practice you try to find short runs.

In your case, with a wood deck trailer, the fix is easy. Even harbor freight sells surface mounts D rings for trailers. Easy install, and you'd get short runs and more down if you changed a bit.

Personally I tie so that at least two straps can fail. You're a bit short or safe failure points. You might see if you can get at least one pulling straight back.

Good luck!

-d
thank you! very informative, I’m definitely going to invest in some D rings to add more tie down points!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only thing that throws me off is the flat hooks, looks like I would need so special mounts for those

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
The only thing that throws me off is the flat hooks, looks like I would need so special mounts for those
Dafish stated you have your machine strapped to prevent it to move forward and backwards if you get into a real vicious truck and trailer maneuver to avoid whatever on the roads or your trailer goes into fishtail your Rzr May rip loose and go airborne. You can leave it tied down the way you have ratchet tiedowns but you need to get some ratchet tiedowns to secure downward force to the trailer deck. All 4 tiedown points better overkill. My tiedowns are 2000 pound duty. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a set of the over-the-tire straps as well and they work great. Ive hauled a 4Runner to Colorado and back and hauled a tractor several times without any issue. They have different options instead of the flat hooks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Will the Vulcan straps stop vertical movement?
If asking about vertical, you're referring to "bouncing" up and down... Yes they can. Ideally, you want to strap your machine (or any vehicle) to the axle or tires. If you strap to the frame, any suspension flex can cause the straps to loosen or come unhooked.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts