Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a air intake screen between the seats and man o man when you really open it up it sure is loud, just about thinking on covering up the opening to quiet it back down. Does anyone really know if putting the screen really helps or is the stock opening big enough ? Its just a stock s with a UMP . Thanks.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I have the Holz unit on mine and it does make it louder.
I just tried this out at Dunefest and think it helped out some.
I had a spare storage bag from a Sportsman and mounted it over the
opening between the seats it has a loop at the top I put around the role cage bottom bar.
I cut a piece of 3 inch PVC pipe lengthwise about 12 inches long and mounted
the arch part to the bag to hold it off of the air intake.
For the bottom of the bag I tucked the straps behind the seat.
It still gets plenty of air flow but is not right by your ear sucking loud at Wide Open Throttle.

·
Registered
403 Posts
yes, you can definately hear the sound from the air between the seats, but it is not as loud as when I relocated my filter to my bed with just an open filter. I have since moved the air box to sit above the bed because it did not like where it was.

·
I just wanna ride
3,765 Posts
My filter is a K&N #33-2170 It works great dry, catches 95% of the dirt before it gets to my UMP. It is louder than stock but not that bad.
I didn't oil it because I don't want oil stains on my seatbelts. I originally used 2 screws to hold it in but it fit tight so I dumped the screws. It comes out it 10 seconds for easy cleaning.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about airflow......more importantly about all the dust that inbetween seat vacuum hole sucks up. Putting a screen there has to keep a lot of everything out before it gets to the actual intake.....def a good idea.

·
NEED A SIGN?
196 Posts
My filter is a K&N #33-2170 It works great dry, catches 95% of the dirt before it gets to my UMP. It is louder than stock but not that bad.
I didn't oil it because I don't want oil stains on my seatbelts. I originally used 2 screws to hold it in but it fit tight so I dumped the screws. It comes out it 10 seconds for easy cleaning.

Did the same thing on my 2009 S and it works awesome. I blocked of the gap with a piece of plastic I formed to fit and used some silicone. I have the stock filter with an outerwear and it stays much cleaner now!

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have the holz screen. It is definitely louder. However, I don't believe that the factory opening was big enough.

I have a early 08 before the recall for the patch fix, that almost blocked all air flow. I an a few other believe that the engine didn't get enough air and was pulling air through the CVT in reverse at times sucking dirty dusty air from under the bed. I do think that this was the main problem. Some don't think that this is true. I just know after putting the screen on my clutch the air box is much cleaner. I also put over 2,500 hard miles on the original belt without showing any wear. I have also not had any repairs done to my engine and it doesn't use any oil. It still runs very well.

I just raced my cousin's '10 RZRS with a muzzy pipe, aftermarket intake, some fancy fuel/computer thing, hiper wheels, and HPD clutch kit that includes a new helix. Mine is all stock except for fine tuning the clutch, a spring change no weights or helix change and spacer removal. It is dead even up to 40 mph then I can pull away from him easily. We both top out at about 63 on the speedo but I can get there way quicker.

I'm not saying the screen helped the performance that much. I'm just saying that I don't have any engine issues yet when many Gen 1 and many people have had problems because of dust. I do have dust in the airbox like everyone, but it is not excessive.

Verdict: Worth while mod but noisy.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Did the same thing on my 2009 S and it works awesome. I blocked of the gap with a piece of plastic I formed to fit and used some silicone. I have the stock filter with an outerwear and it stays much cleaner now!
I did the same and covered the filter with a nice looking cover.I use a KnN 33-2008, I did not notice much of a noise increase but it works good. I can/t get pictures to load. i still have to clean often but I do not get hardly any dirt tomy reg filter.Shep:camorzr:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have 2010 RZR with a stock filter, I have been pondering doing this idea also, I am curious does anybody have a bag in front of the K&N filter? wonder if it would interfere with airflow?
I also was wondering has anybody tried taking an outwear screen and clipping it to fit the opening where intake is between the seats?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the idea of having the K&N in there , might be a new project lol. Not sure what make my screen is i am thinking it is UMP as well , if UMP makes a screen? I bought it at performance rhino in vegas , its a nice product but just getting a little loud. LOL in my younger days i would tell the elders "if it's too loud your too old" lol now i guess i am the old one.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I like the holtz intake filter, I also have seen the K&N set up. does anyone else makes pre filter intakes that install between the seats?

·
Registered
278 Posts
does anyone who has installed a between the seats filter use a half winshield and does it make a difference or not? great idea thought with the k&n doesanyone have picts of how they duct it?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I use the half windshield and a screen mesh for the rear, also have the underdash blockoff kit
Plus I made a one piece cover that is under the seats and fabric doors.
I do not get a lot of inside the cab area dust/crap that helps with the intake gobbling up garbage.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've never seen this setup.. I have the center bag so it may not work together. I made a tubular intake with a k&n but it was really loud so I went back to stock....well I needed a fuel controller with my tubular one too.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Same fix here. Cant say I notice its much noisier. I made the grill with zero cost. I use a paper filter, $6 at Auto Zone, and blow it out with a portable compressor I carry in the fifth wheel. I have a bag attached just above it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.