Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I did to solve the air filter problem on the 900.

Here is the first problem that I have to contend with. Dirt / mud in the intake box. I ride wet, but have never sunk my ride, this is just from splash and yes, the stock filter got wet.

I use 6" aluminum tube and turbo install clamps and rubbers. It fit nicely under the fender. I tried to keep it as much as stock a possible. I had ordered everything while away at work and used 3 1/2" hose rubbers, I should have used 3", but this was a prototype and I will say that it has worked very well.

Now we are to good stuff. Inside is a K&N cone style filter with outer wrap. This is a a positive seal with no leaks and can be serviced very easy. No more wing nuts on the stock filter box. I did the research with K&N and the filter used us good 555 CFM, way more than the 900 will ever need. There is plenty of room inside the 6" tube for air.

I also installed the Airaid snorkel kit and used the supplied filter. I greased up the gasket and sealed it in there. I am now running 2 filters, with the stock being almost perminant. The new one can be serviced and will seal much more positive and secure. Using the Airiad kit, I made a plate and drilled the holes to match the fender piece of the kit. I had to cut the grid that holds the stock foam in place, but that was all. I sealed and sandwiched the fender between the plate and Airiad snorkel. From there I dropped down with piping to the end of the 6" tubed. Everything is 3 1/2".

I did seal up the fender pieces because there was only a junk gasket there. Everything that I could do to keep the wet stuff out.

Finished. I did extend all vent lines up to the intake head and run them inside. The oil tank vent is up there now too.

I have run mine against a bone stock 900 with 5 miles on it and there is no power lose with the dual filter set up. I have run it in some pretty wet places and pretty dusty places with the first filter being spotless. I did do a test, but taking off the top intake head and with the engine ideling. I placed my hand over the pipe and killed the engine. Better yet, it held a vacume on my hand and I had to pull it off. Pretty well seald to me. I am getting ready to build another, but using 5" tube and 3" piping. I will be able to get it up more and stock size piping. The 6" is up enough that the back tire will not hit it if the suspension bottoms out. But the 5" will give even more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to watch at the stock air box around the square filter. It will start sucking in around the gasket.
That was the whole point of my upgrade, once sealed, I won't have to go back in for a long time. For that matter, I could have siliconed it and probably will, but right now is test rides. I wanted a filter that I could service and not have to worry with the stock system. 2 clamps and I am in. 15 seconds with a ratchet and socket. I used all turbo clamps, no junk worm clamps either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the second pic, where the elbow is slid over the stock intake hose. There is a piece of 3" tubing in there as a back up ring also. The 3 1/2" is clamped down tight. The next one will be more hard piping and look better.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
This looks like a good solution, doulbe filtration, everything sealed, sucking air from up top. Approximately how many $ to you have in this modification? I'm looking for any suggestions to bulletproof a new XP.

Anyone have any reasons why you would not want to do this to solve the air filter issue these machines seem to have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the Airaid kit for $420 (Amazon). I got the material do both the engine and belt intake filters, but have only done the engine. Between the two, there is another $350 in material. That includes the piping, clamps, rubbers, filters and wraps. I am going to see how the 5" tube does and now that I have it working, I can make it "pretty". I will post some pics of the 5" kit when I am done. I may put together some kits for those that want them. Also, everything is TIG welded.

Most show a finished product, we never the see ugly prototypes. I was after function first and looks second. There is an issue with the intakes on these bikes. I ride wet 50% of the time. I went to service my air filter and there was mud all over it and the intake box and hose was muddy. Behind the filter was clean, thankfully. That was the straw that broke the back and I had to do something before something bad happened. I do like the ease of getting to the new filter. 7/16" deep socket and 15 seconds and I am there. Going back and I know it is sealed up tight. I can ride with confidence now.

If one did not want to spend the money on the Airaid kit, it would be very easy to just run the snorkel straight up out of the tube, but that would cutting a hole in the bed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be working on a 5" tube kit shortly. This should fit better in the fender. It will also eleminate the rubber elbow to the stock intake hose. It will be hard piped there, cleaner look. I will have the same system for the belt also. Good filtered air there will keep the clutches cleaner.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Nice kit! although I just used a UMP under fender kit & plumbed it up next to the oil tank & used a MCX scoop to top it off. no need to keep the crappy stock fillter box or filter & after reading about how the bed cover hits & deforms the stock box it had to go! keep up the good work!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I got the Airaid kit for $420 (Amazon). I got the material do both the engine and belt intake filters, but have only done the engine. Between the two, there is another $350 in material. That includes the piping, clamps, rubbers, filters and wraps. I am going to see how the 5" tube does and now that I have it working, I can make it "pretty". I will post some pics of the 5" kit when I am done. I may put together some kits for those that want them. Also, everything is TIG welded.

Most show a finished product, we never the see ugly prototypes. I was after function first and looks second. There is an issue with the intakes on these bikes. I ride wet 50% of the time. I went to service my air filter and there was mud all over it and the intake box and hose was muddy. Behind the filter was clean, thankfully. That was the straw that broke the back and I had to do something before something bad happened. I do like the ease of getting to the new filter. 7/16" deep socket and 15 seconds and I am there. Going back and I know it is sealed up tight. I can ride with confidence now.

If one did not want to spend the money on the Airaid kit, it would be very easy to just run the snorkel straight up out of the tube, but that would cutting a hole in the bed.
Just letting everyone know that the Airaid system WILL NOT FIT the rzr xp900 if you have installed a FACTORY rear frame extension!! I called Araid and they told me they designed it without the extension!! Great R and D!:rm_thumbdown: nice system but now I have to do more mods to make it fit! Just FYI.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nice kit! although I just used a UMP under fender kit & plumbed it up next to the oil tank & used a MCX scoop to top it off. no need to keep the crappy stock fillter box or filter & after reading about how the bed cover hits & deforms the stock box it had to go! keep up the good work!
what is a MCX Scoop?

·
Registered
350 Posts

Here is the first problem that I have to contend with. Dirt / mud in the intake box. I ride wet, but have never sunk my ride, this is just from splash and yes, the stock filter got wet.

I use 6" aluminum tube and turbo install clamps and rubbers. It fit nicely under the fender. I tried to keep it as much as stock a possible. I had ordered everything while away at work and used 3 1/2" hose rubbers, I should have used 3", but this was a prototype and I will say that it has worked very well.

Now we are to good stuff. Inside is a K&N cone style filter with outer wrap. This is a a positive seal with no leaks and can be serviced very easy. No more wing nuts on the stock filter box. I did the research with K&N and the filter used us good 555 CFM, way more than the 900 will ever need. There is plenty of room inside the 6" tube for air.

I also installed the Airaid snorkel kit and used the supplied filter. I greased up the gasket and sealed it in there. I am now running 2 filters, with the stock being almost perminant. The new one can be serviced and will seal much more positive and secure. Using the Airiad kit, I made a plate and drilled the holes to match the fender piece of the kit. I had to cut the grid that holds the stock foam in place, but that was all. I sealed and sandwiched the fender between the plate and Airiad snorkel. From there I dropped down with piping to the end of the 6" tubed. Everything is 3 1/2".

I did seal up the fender pieces because there was only a junk gasket there. Everything that I could do to keep the wet stuff out.

Finished. I did extend all vent lines up to the intake head and run them inside. The oil tank vent is up there now too.

I have run mine against a bone stock 900 with 5 miles on it and there is no power lose with the dual filter set up. I have run it in some pretty wet places and pretty dusty places with the first filter being spotless. I did do a test, but taking off the top intake head and with the engine ideling. I placed my hand over the pipe and killed the engine. Better yet, it held a vacume on my hand and I had to pull it off. Pretty well seald to me. I am getting ready to build another, but using 5" tube and 3" piping. I will be able to get it up more and stock size piping. The 6" is up enough that the back tire will not hit it if the suspension bottoms out. But the 5" will give even more.
How did you secure the K&N filter to the intake tube? I see hose clamps but it looks like there is some sort of end piece fixed to the filter that fits on the outside of your 6" aluminum tubing?

Thanks! and great idea by the way I am building my system to pretty much this exact specification after reading this thread.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Post some pics of this if you can

·
Registered
350 Posts
Post some pics of this if you can
Agree, I would love to see some pics.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Nice job! You've really done your "homework" on this intake! I modded my airaid snorkel system, now I need to get rid of that plastic stock air box. I figured out the lid does hit the air box, BADLY when you have coolers or gas cams tied down in the bed! Pushed my box down right out of the hangers!! I am thinking that is the biggest problem with the air box besides it being flimsy plastic and those wing nuts being a PITA! LOL thanks for the pics and the ideas! Patent pending??:rofl3: :ride: :rzrs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts