Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the turbo setup on my rzr, ive test drove with my ump setup and it runs great. Just curious to see what others are running. I dont really care for the looks of the filter housing in the bed. Thanks for any suggestions!

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
653 Posts
This is the good old Donaldson filter I set up on my turbo

I like it cause its super easy to remove the filter and doesnt obstruct my clutch cover since I keep jerk'n around with the adjustable weights to make it clutch just right.

Attachments

·
“Super Genius”
705 Posts
Donaldson setup on my Turbo XP

That filter is filtering backwards. The inlet should be on the outside of the case, where the dirt can spin to the outside, and the clean air should be coming out the middle.
I have never seen a Donaldson hooked up that way.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The filter itself isn't directional, but the surface area on the outside is of course much greater. It takes longer to clog this area than it would the inside because of the area. Effectively, you'd need to change/clean your filter more frequently with the way you have it.

·
“Super Genius”
705 Posts
The air filter housing is designed to throw the heavier particles away from the air filter element. that is one reason that the air inlet is on such an angle. The idea is to use centrifugal force to separate heavier particles from air, and keep your air filter media cleaner, longer.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The air filter housing is designed to throw the heavier particles away from the air filter element. that is one reason that the air inlet is on such an angle. The idea is to use centrifugal force to separate heavier particles from air, and keep your air filter media cleaner, longer.
I don't know anything about that brand and design. I just know if you look at any filter design it's filtered from outside in simply for air flow efficiency as I mentioned above.

Where do those particles go if not trapped by the filter? Do they sit in the canister or is there another opening where these particles can exit the canister as well? Sounds like a good design if so.

·
Italian Rage
34 Posts
I don't know anything about that brand and design. I just know if you look at any filter design it's filtered from outside in simply for air flow efficiency as I mentioned above.

Where do those particles go if not trapped by the filter? Do they sit in the canister or is there another opening where these particles can exit the canister as well? Sounds like a good design if so.
The prim,filter catches the dirt it also has a rubber nipple outlet on the bottom of the cap which discharges the heavy dirt,this canister has 2 filters it is a nice setup won't let dirt get to the throttle body

·
Super Moderator
4,984 Posts
Donaldson setup on my Turbo XP

That filter is filtering backwards. The inlet should be on the outside of the case, where the dirt can spin to the outside, and the clean air should be coming out the middle.
I have never seen a Donaldson hooked up that way.

Yep, it's backwards. Here is my Donaldson. Notice the small rubber outlet at on the end at the bottom, this is for self cleaning. It swirls the air and dump the dirt out this opening.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ok. Thanks guys. I will try to switch it around!

....EDIT:

OK....I tried to switch the hoses around but could not get them to fit ...the canister will not fit in this position and connect properly to the hoses....BUT....I though about the design and realized that the factory prefilter/box is still in place and functioning....(which has a baffling system to sort large particles as well...)...so I am not too worried about it at this time. The filter is still doing its job...and upon inspection I didnt see ANY large particles inside the filter...so i feel confident the filter is working just fine like this.

·
Registered
314 Posts
it was provided with the turbo kit from Silber Turbos....

.....I also have been handed down info from Donaldson engineers...they have confirmed that the filter assembly can be plumbed either way if needed and the filter itself is bidirectional with only a loss of flow to be had in doing so....I also have tested on the dyno with the filter on and off and see NO loss in power from having it this way.

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
I used the UMP intake I was using before the turbo. Its in the bed which isn't my first choice but room is tight under the bed. I had read on here that the UMP sold for the RZR wasn't big enough for a turbo application but so far its working like a champ.

·
Premium Member
41,101 Posts
I run a in the bed TAGTEAM Air Box mfg by UTVINC... I didn't want all the heat, dirt / mud / dust etc. around my air box...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive been running my ump so far, anybody think that setup hurts performance?

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

1 - 19 of 19 Posts