Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I realize this is a very opinionated questino/answer hah

That being said -- say you buy a brand new donaldson premium air filter.

You go ride a 5 day trip -- SUPER DUSTY. Get home, tap the sucker on the ground and like.. A LOT of dust comes out.. (a pile hahaha. I have photos).

Is this time to REPLACE the filter.. or just tap it until nothing else falls out/it's good to go?

When does a person know it is time to REPLACE a filter?

--

I've tended to just replace them / spend the $50, but not sure if i'm being too paranoid or 5 days or torture is enough for a filter

·
Standard Vendor
1,519 Posts
The Donaldson is not a cleanable filter.... washing it or blowing it off with compressed air can and will compromise the media. Tapping them out to remove excess build up on the pleats is ok and will get you a little more service.

We offer a cleanable severe duty filter that offers superior filtration and saves money in the long run. It can be tapped out for a quick filed service or washed / blown out for a thorough cleaning. http://desertcraft-us.3dcartstores.com/RZR-XP1000XPTTurbo-S-Air-Filter_p_101.html
Regards,

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You should try washing it. It works fine and never had an issue. Same with the Polaris OEM filter, the R2C and the S&B. I have washed them all.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I use a shop vac on blow. Wrap a rag around the hose and insert it in the opening for a decent seal, And tap it on the cement. It's a low pressure high volume kinda thing. It works really well, and in my opinion the pressure is low enough not hurt the integrity of the filter.

·
Standard Vendor
1,519 Posts
The OEM filters whether standard or the blue are a cellulose media and are not intended to be cleaned. They are a disposable filter. Cellulose is a good filter media, but is in no way engineered to be washed or blown out.

This is directly from the shop manual......

5. Inspect air filter and replace if necessary
Note: Do Not attempt to clean the filter!

Regards,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Buy a pre filter that wraps around the filter may get more life out of it if your ripping dirt roads or dunes

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
662 Posts
The Donaldson is not a cleanable filter.... washing it or blowing it off with compressed air can and will compromise the media. Tapping them out to remove excess build up on the pleats is ok and will get you a little more service.

We offer a cleanable severe duty filter that offers superior filtration and saves money in the long run. It can be tapped out for a quick filed service or washed / blown out for a thorough cleaning. RZR XP1000/XPT/Turbo S Air Filter
Regards,
I'd like to get one of your filters but shipping is one third the cost even after forum discount...:sad

Reactions: HNDARDR

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It's worked well for 12K miles and hope it works for another 3K this summer. The filters really do wash out easily and well with the hose and then let dry. They never disintegrate or fall apart or show any degradation of any kind. Lots of miles and washings without any issues.
I ride with 4 others and they wash their filters.

·
Standard Vendor
1,519 Posts

We offer a cleanable severe duty filter that offers superior filtration and saves money in the long run. It can be tapped out for a quick filed service or washed / blown out for a thorough cleaning. RZR XP1000/XPT/Turbo S Air Filter
Regards,
I'd like to get one of your filters but shipping is one third the cost even after forum discount...:sad
That's does not sound right... We have had some issues with our store not calculating shipping correctly. Thought it was corrected. Please contact us with your zip code and we can provide an accurate total.
Regards,

·
Berzerker
1,449 Posts
We offer a cleanable severe duty filter that offers superior filtration and saves money in the long run. It can be tapped out for a quick filed service or washed / blown out for a thorough cleaning.
Is your filter a "re-manufactured" or rebranded R2C?

·
Standard Vendor
1,519 Posts
We offer a cleanable severe duty filter that offers superior filtration and saves money in the long run. It can be tapped out for a quick filed service or washed / blown out for a thorough cleaning.
Is your filter a "re-manufactured" or rebranded R2C?
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!
We tested and developed our filter for nearly 2 years. This included using an independent laboratory to set our benchmark with no bias. Ours has a dual component, dual layer media layup, which you wont find in brand "R" or Brand "S". We incorporated a stainless steel wire mesh for strength and durability were others use stamped steel. It is also internally supported with a fine mesh to maintain pleat integrity. Our goal was to produce a severe duty filter that would meet or exceed the best the industry has to offer, and we achieved just that.

Filtration at 250cfm flow rate

Desertcraft
Micron range/ Fractional efficiency %
.3 to .5 - 89.6%
.7 to 1.0- 99.6%
3 to 5- 100%

Competitor R (Cleanable)
.3 to .5- 71.6%
.7 to 1.0- 95.4%
3 to 5- 99.8%

Competitor S (Cleanable)
.3 to .5- 10.8%
.7 to 1.0- 30.8%
3 to 5- 91.1%

Competitor D (Non cleanable, Disposable)
.3 to .5- 75.6%
.7 to 1.0- 94.8%
3 to 5- 99.9%

Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I run a particle separator now after a club member had to overhaul his engine because
he did not put on the filter cover right. A Filter is one of the most important items
so be sure the cover is on correctly and don't try to save a dime on a filter.
You can also add a couple of extra springs on cover. The cover is made for extra springs
but Polaris saved a dime.

·
Standard Vendor
1,519 Posts
Yea, we have seen the covers come off or get dislodged. Using the stock style filter with the radial slip fit seal, it will come right off. Although our filter has a clamp the inlet tube is plastic,we always tell our customers to clean all of the grease off of the inlet tube and do not over tighten the clamp or you can neck down the plastic tube. We have a stud on the end of our filter and can provide a bracket, so no matter what it will not come off unless you want it to. With the bracket in place you could run without the cover and still have no worries.
Regards,

·
Registered
284 Posts
Always replace... a 20-60 filter is exponentially cheaper than a 3k to 5k motor.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts