Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 xp 1000 and i have been having an issue with overheating. One ride it will be fine and the next it will heat within 20 mins. I have cleaned the radiator thoroughly and bleed the system repeatedly. Has anyone installed an aftermarket radiator by SuperATV or anyone else and how is it working out for you and your overheating problem?

Trying to decide whether or not to spend money on a bigger capacity radiator. tcp performance makes a nice aftermarket radiator but i can't get in touch with them.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
I would recommend doing a leak down test of the cooling system and cylinders before you looked into replacing the radiator, very well could be a head gasket issue that’s intermittent at this point

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would recommend doing a leak down test of the cooling system and cylinders before you looked into replacing the radiator, very well could be a head gasket issue that’s intermittent at this point

I am not losing coolant at all. Levels never change. I tried to pressure test it but my kit wasn't small enough to fit it

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am not losing coolant at all. Levels never change. I tried to pressure test it but my kit wasn't small enough to fit it
How about the fan? Is it coming on?
I guess the point is it should not overheat with the stock radiator, something is wrong.

·
Registered
785 Posts
possibly the "plastic"water pump impeller is not providing adequate flow.
jm2c

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I rode one weekend, mud holes, water up to the seat. No issue with heating. Came home and clean it up real good.

Went to ride the next weekend and it was heating 20 mins after i took it off the trailer. Temps reached 219.

It first overheated when i was pushing 80 mph and it was 40 degrees outside. That blew my mind

·
Registered
785 Posts
lack of "flow".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While sitting it cycles and the coolant flows and cools the engine. That day i was going slow when it heated but when i pushed it hard, she ran cooler

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since i got back i washed out the radiator, raised the front end and burped the system and bled it

·
Registered
785 Posts
IMO
another rad wont solve your problem until you find the root cause.
could be as simple as a collapsing hose under high volume.
jm2c

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IMO
another rad wont solve your problem until you find the root cause.
could be as simple as a collapsing hose under high volume.
jm2c
Might take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. Trying to keep my money in my pockets. I Just don't want them to say, oh we couldn't find anything or we couldn't duplicate the problem. Sure we've all heard that.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I rode one weekend, mud holes, water up to the seat. No issue with heating. Came home and clean it up real good.

Went to ride the next weekend and it was heating 20 mins after i took it off the trailer. Temps reached 219.

It first overheated when i was pushing 80 mph and it was 40 degrees outside. That blew my mind
I wonder if it really is overheating or is the temp sender bad telling the gauge the wrong thing?? Do you have a infrared thermometer?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder if it really is overheating or is the temp sender bad telling the gauge the wrong thing?? Do you have a infrared thermometer?
Yes. When i got home we shot the engine and radiator to compare the temps. They all were close to what guage said

·
Registered
844 Posts
Could Be a bad thermostat bro. If you have too much flow it will over heat, also if you have too little. I’d pull it and check it’s operation. Check for bubble in the over flow tank too, bad head gasket.
And for the record, overheating on the 2017+ models is not common. Most of the cases occur in the dunes on hot days running hard if anything.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
A 2018 with only 44 miles? Impressive. The 1000’s didn’t have much issue with overheating, the 16 Turbo models did.

As has been stated, the radiator isn’t your problem tho, you need to find the cause of the problem before you upgrade a radiator and be disappointed.

What temp is it getting to when it overheats?

if it is brand new and you just happened to find a leftover 18, then I would definitely take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. A stock 2018 XP1k should not have any issues with overheating

·
Registered
912 Posts
just me....but i think the first thing i would do is get a reflash or tuner and lower the temp your fan comes on to 180 or so...that 29 degrees will help a lot...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts