Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a custom cage shop today that I've seen some of their work on facebook and wanted to check them out, they do all work in house and the cages look really good.

They tell me that they use 1.5 OD .095 ERW for everything they build, isnt that sub par? Everything I've seen from most cage builders is usually DOM, just like to know what others thoughts on this.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,131 Posts
1.75" .095 or .120" DOM is really the norm, or at least should be for the main tubes. My cage is 1.75" x .095" DOM main tubes, with 1.5" & 1.25" x .095" DOM cross tubes.

1.5" is smaller than the stock cage, doesn't meant a 1.5" .095" cage is worse, because it's not, just seems backwards to me to go to smaller tube, and 1.75" will be stronger regardless (given the same design)

I don't want to get into the ERW vs DOM debate. But DOM is better. ERW is cheaper.

Ultimately... It's probably fine.... but I wouldn't consider it optimal.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
The YouTube link should give you an idea of strength between the two. For me definitely the main structure I would want out of DOM, but for stuff like the intrusion bar and triangulation in the roof I would prefer DOM but wouldn't be scared to use ERW if that's what I had. With that being said there is not a huge price difference in the two for the amount of tubing you would need to build a cage. If your cage builder doesn't have DOM on hand, then go by a metal supply house and pick some up and take it to your builder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
cage material argument is always debated and there are videos and stats to support nearly every decision. is some cases erw tests allot better than some of the low budget dom stuff, is most cases its very equal. in my shop sometimes its dom sometimes erw most important is design and execution, its amazing how many cage builders build cool and looks good, how many have actually sat through statics class and understand a materials strengths and weaknesses. a whole lot of basic bad practices.

my pet peeves are gussets and bends. lots of ways to gusset some actually make the joint weaker, creating point loads. and just because you have a bender doesn't mean everything needs a bend, in many cases a straight tube to joint is stronger.

honestly i wouldn't hesitate to use a reputable shops that endorses erw, there are so many more important aspects to cage building than dom vs erw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts