Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
July 6th I crashed my XP into another RZR,The Insurance company paid for the repair's. I had to replace the frame among other thing's. My question is what do I do on the title and how or what do I do with my VIN number's that are on the old frame...As of right now my RZR has NO VIN number's other then on the engine..

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Stamp the VIN into the new frame where its at on the old one and cut up the old one

·
Registered
882 Posts
You mean your new frame did not have a VIN number stamped on it anywhere? I thought all frames built were required too, even if they were made as replacement parts.

Anyways, if it doesn't then yes, stamp your old VIN into your new frame, keep the same title without doing anything to it, and keep all your paperwork showing where they had to swap the frame for you.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean your new frame did not have a VIN number stamped on it anywhere? I thought all frames built were required too, even if they were made as replacement parts.

Anyways, if it doesn't then yes, stamp your old VIN into your new frame, keep the same title without doing anything to it, and keep all your paperwork showing where they had to swap the frame for you.
Polaris considered it a replacement part only and no VIN was on it.
I will just have to do that then I guess.
I don't think I have to restamp the VIN into the frame though,It won't be legal anyway.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I wouldn't stamp a new number i would just keep a copy of your paper work in the glove box . I would think if anyone was to restamp the frame it would be the dealer that installed it. In California you would have to take it to the CHP office along with the paper work and they would put a Vin# tag on it. I would be afraid to restamp the frame myself because my luck would be the only cop to ever check it would one that thiks he is going to change the world and i would end up in jail for tampering with the vin#.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
replacement frames do not have any.
Problem on your OE frame is that it is lightly engraved from the factory.
2011 XP. Not deeply, lightly. Ligh sanding or light paint will fill it in.
Then they cover it during coating with tape, then peel and hand brush over it. Go out and look close.
Factory black finish would bury the light engraving.

On a frame swap you can graft that part over. Tig it in.
It is a bitch to repeat the tape process when powder coating a new frame but we did it. On top of that my new frame was powder coated twice. Yep. I was unhappy with the cure on the first go around. Found that laquer thinner was aggressive to the powder coat. I marked for a hole with a Sharpie and went to clean it off. Powder coat didn't wipe off but I could see it was unacceptable.
Back to powder and did it again. Had to protect the engraving again.
Hard to watch your frame when it is going in 2nd and 3rd shift and by a friend of a friend in between Cat dozer parts.

Don't forget the Vin sticker on the front passenger frame tube. Transfer that too.
Hand peel slowly after leaving it in the sun. Easy to do as it was 100° all year.

·
Registered
335 Posts
July 6th I crashed my XP into another RZR,The Insurance company paid for the repair's. I had to replace the frame among other thing's. My question is what do I do on the title and how or what do I do with my VIN number's that are on the old frame...As of right now my RZR has NO VIN number's other then on the engine..

:popcorn:
Chad, take your car to the DMV with all your paperwork and they will assign you a new VIN. Do not stamp your old VIN on the frame.It won't be legal and will looked altered which it is, and LEO'S might just impound your car. IMHO as a retired LEO

·
Registered
111 Posts
In Idaho when the dealer changed the frame in mine, someone from DMV had to
come out and certify everything and the dealer was given a tag from DMV that had to be
riveted on the frame with the original VIN on the tag.

It doesn't even show as a salvage title. My title is clear just like it had never had the frame changed.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yea, the big thing is your states laws. Some states may require you to stamp it into the new frame and there may be big fines if they ever happen to check you and find it without it. In Arkansas the year before last they did a crackdown and were randomly pulling over anyone trailering an ATV or pulling a PWC and checking the VIN number on the frame or hull and your registration. If you didn't have it resgisterd (which a lot of people don't around here) you got a ticket because it is actually law that your supposed to. But even if you did have registration papers they were also checking it against the VIN and running the VIN with their dispatch. It was a crack-down because of all the rash of ATV and PWC thefts. I imagine if they didn't find a VIN that you could expect to find yourself waiting there awhile on the roadside, maybe even if you did have the papers from the dealer, I'm sure there are some officers who'd just claim they could have printed such a thing out on their home PC so doesn't prove anything. In Arkansas you turn in what happend and they mail you a tag to stick on it, but when they do that it may actially be a totally different VIN than your original because at least in the state of Arkansas the VIN goes with the frame and if the frame is changed then you need a new VIN. Happens on rebuilt pickups sometimes.

Some states require it, some don't, so the safe thing is to call your state police or revenue office or DMV office (whatever your state has) and just ask them what your supposed to do in that event, even if you make the call without telling them your name or your VIN you can at least be properly informed.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
Powder Coating/ frames/ preserving VIN #:

preface: have exchanged PMs with a member asking questions about how to preserve a VIN. He seems nice.

Morning Sir,
Basically it is 2 steps.

1st) because they have to sand blast/ media blast the frame before powder. At that step you cover over the Vin. with strong tape, couple layers of blue painters tape will do. Talk to them about it. they will understand. (so that they don't blast off the 'lightly scribed" VIN)

2nd) afterblast they cover with thier magic tape. Think it was silicone. Similar to the silicone plugs that they stick in key holes. Thay also have tiny silicone "sleeves" for lack of better word to cover threaded posts. Like at your brake pedal. the (4) posts there. Mine had (4) protective post covers.

3rd) Then after powder you peel off thier magic heat tape and of course the old number is still there untouched.

4th) touch up with new color

regards Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I am going to contact the DMV about all this,unless the dealer sent in something I don't think the DMV even knows my XP exsist's.. I have never had anything,title or registration from the DMV...who know's more chasing around I guess :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts