Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have heard a lot of ppl say that they have put aftermarket seats in their rzr's and they made the biggest difference in comfort of any mods they have done... but then others swear by their new shocks....

So for rough trail riding (arkansas mtns are very rocky), would it be more wise for a person to spend roughly $900 on some thing like twisted stitch suspension seats, or would a set of AFCO mt1 shocks make the ride that much better? I dont think the stock seats are too bad, but obviously for rough terrain, a suspension seat can make a huge difference and are quite a bit cheaper....

I already have HD springs front and rear so obviously that is not helping the ride quality at all, however i need all the ground clearance i can get so i have to take that into consideration as well.

I am hoping to hear from some one that has added both or at least something similar and see which they would buy first from a pure ride quality perspective.

Its just like the old Chevy Short wide 4x4 k10 i had, the suspension on it was awful but those huge bench seats were so soft and giving that it was very comfortable, to me anyways....

thanks for any input guys

:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have both!!! I installed the seats first, mostly for the ability to route the 5pt harness thry them. Bear in mind you will loose some space between you and the wheel and have no adjustabality, but I would buy them again.
Installed my Walker-Evans latter and by far it will improve your ride and control, My vote, the shocks but make sure that which you buy they have external rseviors (sp),
John

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so can the MT1's upgraded to have remote reservoirs? Do you guys really think remote reservoirs are necessary for a trail machine that averages less then 10mph?

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
I went to prog. springs and was happy, then had a chance to drive a buddy's with king shocks with res. and saw the handling and suspension difference. I got an opportunity to buy a used set of MT1s, but lost out, then got a chance to buy an even less used set of MT2s. I think the remote reservoirs may not be needed if you are not riding continuously (heating up) demanding terreign (sp).

They are great, but a long days ride or a few in a row leave my back and my wife's back sore. We enjoy long trail rides. I just sent an e mail to Twisted stitch and FUTV their dealer to pursue an Excel suspension seat.

The RZR is a great machine, but they left room for improvement and spending money!

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
you might be over-sprung to give yourself the extra ground clearance. Do you have a pic or two of your RZR?

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
I think your looking at two seperate issues...

#1 If you want more comfort its going to be the seats hands down.. The shocks are not made for your arse & back (exactly what the seats are designed for..) in a way..

#2 If you want a better overall ride and more "ehhh Im tired just cant find the word's, Ya'll help me out".. Thats what the shocks are for...

I got the shocks first but thats only making a MINOR differance on my actual body..(now I'm sure ride performance & all that good stuff is much better, but when those Twisted seat are installed and that suspension and "oh so softness" is created for my Arse & Back, I will be feeling a LOT better.. I can confirm this because just sitting in my buddies ride with suspension seats...it felt better on my body than the shocks..and he ran stocks..
It would be like putting Stock RAZR seats in my Chrysler 300, I can have the smoothest ride In the world, but man those seats would suck!! I couldnt make a 3 hour drive..No WAY...and the longest to date for me is 40 Minutes with these seats..Then I'm dying and popping the pills (then I cant drive), a call it a day. I cant risk someone elses life being inebriated even if its not alcohal..
Just my personal opinion... I would Like to hear others on this subject..

·
Vendor
4,175 Posts
I can't say that my Twisted Stitch seats are any more comfortable that the RZR S seats. I would do suspension first and then seats IMHO.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
I can't say that my Twisted Stitch seats are any more comfortable that the RZR S seats. I would do suspension first and then seats IMHO.
awwwww dont tell me that.... I was soo Hoping the twisted seats would be way better than my stocks!! My buddy has some suspenion seats in his (i dont know the brand) but they are ohh so much better...

So you dont think the twisted seats suspension is that soft??

As for my opinion...it stands..But i dont quite know what he is asking?? Does he want a better ride? shocks.. or better comfort? seats...

update...and yes, i did shocks first..

·
Vendor
4,175 Posts
They are comfortable and wrap around you to hold you in, but to say they are softer, I don't know. I just know that when we jump and land hard, the seats could stand to be softer. I took a stock S out yesterday and hit the same jumps as I did in mine and thought the S seats felt really good for something stock.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
They are comfortable and wrap around you to hold you in, but to say they are softer, I don't know. I just know that when we jump and land hard, the seats could stand to be softer. I took a stock S out yesterday and hit the same jumps as I did in mine and thought the S seats felt really good for something stock.
Noted; buuut you didn't talk me out of them so that's good, Twisted stitch has those "newer" ones, I think excel's???, I will look the up, but either way I like how the DFR belts go through the seats rather than around the headrest, also they go through the sides since they are so deep, I havnt seen a set mounted in a RAZR yet... But, I think I'm going with those....I'll stop at that I don't want to high Jack this thread... Might need to have a seat poll..(for actual owner input)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to prog. springs and was happy, then had a chance to drive a buddy's with king shocks with res. and saw the handling and suspension difference. I got an opportunity to buy a used set of MT1s, but lost out, then got a chance to buy an even less used set of MT2s. I think the remote reservoirs may not be needed if you are not riding continuously (heating up) demanding terreign (sp).

They are great, but a long days ride or a few in a row leave my back and my wife's back sore. We enjoy long trail rides. I just sent an e mail to Twisted stitch and FUTV their dealer to pursue an Excel suspension seat.

The RZR is a great machine, but they left room for improvement and spending money!
how do you think the MT2's stack up against your buddies king shocks?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think your looking at two seperate issues...

#1 If you want more comfort its going to be the seats hands down.. The shocks are not made for your arse & back (exactly what the seats are designed for..) in a way..

#2 If you want a better overall ride and more "ehhh Im tired just cant find the word's, Ya'll help me out".. Thats what the shocks are for...

I got the shocks first but thats only making a MINOR differance on my actual body..(now I'm sure ride performance & all that good stuff is much better, but when those Twisted seat are installed and that suspension and "oh so softness" is created for my Arse & Back, I will be feeling a LOT better.. I can confirm this because just sitting in my buddies ride with suspension seats...it felt better on my body than the shocks..and he ran stocks..
It would be like putting Stock RAZR seats in my Chrysler 300, I can have the smoothest ride In the world, but man those seats would suck!! I couldnt make a 3 hour drive..No WAY...and the longest to date for me is 40 Minutes with these seats..Then I'm dying and popping the pills (then I cant drive), a call it a day. I cant risk someone elses life being inebriated even if its not alcohal..
Just my personal opinion... I would Like to hear others on this subject..
yes, they are seperate issues, but still end up with the same effect on your body. A better handling rzr will certainly make for a more enjoyable and comfortable ride as well as softer more shock absorbing seats. Seats, shocks, and springs all do the same thing, just in different ways, they all absorb energy and inertia, so im just wondering which has the best end affect on the user, some say shocks and apparently you believe the seats will be a better choice...

Some one asked about being oversprung... NO i dont believe im oversprung. Even with the "HD" springs front and rear, with no one sitting in the rzr i can walk up to it and pick it up at least a good 2 inches or so. It is not oversprung, but the shocks are not valved correctly, especially for the amount of preload placed on the springs to achieve enough ride height. If you look at the springs that are used on a properly valved shock, for example afco shocks whenever steve sets em up, The spring rates are higher then high lifter HD springs. IMO even the "HD" springs that i have arent a heavy enough spring... err the fronts anyways. The back is pretty close but the front springs are no where near enough.

there should be some pics posted of my ride, i'll see if i can find a link.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts

how do you think the MT2's stack up against your buddies king shocks?
Tough Question! You just took a big jump forward with way better suspension. 2 months ago in Utah I rode back into camp on my RZR at 90% for 1/2 mile through some whoops and off camber twists(stock shocks and Progressive spgs) and my buddy with the Kings ,that had been behind me, said the moment we stopped. Now ride mine. After a moments hesitation It dawned on me what a good comparison situation. I rode his RZR back turned and tried to duplicate the ride in, Wow what an improvement over what I had been relatively pleased with.

A month later I get a chance to purchase the lightly used Afco MT2s... similar. Now I don't have the great comparison opportunity and I am dealing with more variables. I can not go beyond saying they appear comparable.

I will be on a ride with the same guy in California this coming weekend, I'll see if we can do a switch and give you 2 comparisons! We may both prefer what we usually ride. That will really Help. Right!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
ha ha ha any feedback and opinion is better then none

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
ha ha ha any feedback and optinion is better then none
If I had said oh the..... is so much better!, would that have helped!

I'm thinking If My buddy and I do a comparison we may decide. You know they can be rebuilt and could be re-valved to be almost identical!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts