Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and looking for some parts advice on my stock RZR.

I trail ride exclusively up here in Maine. The riding ranges from wide open gravel logging roads to narrow boulder strewn trails. We pretty much hit it all on any given ride and we ride in some pretty remote areas. I want to keep my machine ridable in all these conditions (not have a dedicated rock crawler or dedicated dirt tracker) and must stay with the 50" trail limits we have here.

This weekend I spent a lot of time bouncing the bottom off of rocks and worrying about all those "tender bits" underneath. The stock suspension was also underwhelming.

I've got a few grand to spend on: 1) general upgrades, 2) protection (for the machine, not riders) and 3) improving durability. I don't need any more power. I surfed the forums, but was overwhelmed by the amount of information out there. Could you help me with some recommendations/prioritization based on your experience? Appreciate the help!

·
Administrator
50,254 Posts
Hi you need HD skid plates for the rocks ,rock sliders for the sides ,better shocks . a decent bumper with winch ,and a tool kit with tire repair supplies .that's what you need ,then you get to buy all the stuff you want .roof ,stereo,lights,lift kit ,shocks,doors,windshield,suspension seats, enjoy that rzr.

welcome to the forum

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I suggest a UMP filter if you ever ride in dust.. Next buy a UHMW skidplate. Way better than Aluminum. If you must stay at 50" you can upgrade the shocks or actually just upgrade the springs to Makin Trax Progressive springs. They will give you more ride height and give you a much better ride as far as comfort and handling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Have the bumpers, winch and tool kit so it sounds like priorities should be:

1. Upgraded underbody protection (plastic skid plates and sliders)

2. Better shocks

3. UMP Filter (we have a lot of dust)

What about other suspension, steering and drive train parts - are there any weak links? What about the sprague carrier I've read so much about?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Main, if you need to keep @ 50", I would look @ the Holz skid system, their side protection hugs the side and keeps you @ 50. I also added a 2"lift to keep me off the rocks.
You might want to shop around for some used aftermarket shocks and spring, I upgaded to some Walker Evens for a good price and their the best upgrade I did for the trails.
John

Attachments

·
Administrator
50,254 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Have the bumpers, winch and tool kit so it sounds like priorities should be:

1. Upgraded underbody protection (plastic skid plates and sliders)

2. Better shocks

3. UMP Filter (we have a lot of dust)

What about other suspension, steering and drive train parts - are there any weak links? What about the sprague carrier I've read so much about?
I have the billet sprague ,but if you drive it right you should not have any problems,do not have your foot on the gas when the front wheels are off the ground .if you do when they hit the ground the plastic sprague will explode .:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
great post mainieac.. I was thinking the same thing, I just purchased a used 08 with custom roll cage and alluminum skid plates, but I dont know what else to do with the rzr. All my riding is on trails in Michigan and I usually ride in a pack of 3-5 quads.

my list goes like this so far;
1. 4 point harness
2. Nets or doors. I already rolled it the first day in parking lot and now I have multiple fractures in my foot
3. Winch
4. Snorkel, sometimes I get brave with the water and mudding ;)
5. 2" or 3" lift kit
6. betters suspension

Now Im looking for more ideas or better ideas I havent thought of yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To you guys with lift kits - I'm thinking about the Racer Tech 2" lift kit and I've got 14" wheels on now with stock shocks set at 2nd highest preload position - How much would I be giving up in high speed stability? Would I still be able to throw the rear end out in high speed turns? Remember, I've got to keep it at 50" for the trails here, so no spacers, etc to compensate for the additional ride height.

Sounds like the $139 billet sprague carrier by a vendor on this site is cheap insurance. I don't always drive it "right" :hihi:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Maine, I also have a 2" Rubberdown lift and when "narrowed" down to 50" I increase my:
shock preload
shock stiffness
tire presure
I'm not sure I would feel comfortable rear sliding the ride when I'm @ that configuration,
John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Junkman, I live on the coast near Brunswick, but we ride mostly up at camp in the Eustis/Stratton area.

John, Thanks for the help. I think it might make sense to take the suspension one step at a time. I'll plan on doing the shocks first and ride it for a while (with a new skid plate!). If I need more, I'll go with a modest lift. I guess it's just a matter of finding the right compromise.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Definetly skid plates (if you can't go too tall) and a 2" lift of some sort. The 2" lift (and preloaded or new springs) will actually pull the suspension in. I have an LE with 2" high lifter lift, trimmed the motor mount ( best bang for your buck for clearance) and 1" spacers in the rear with 27" maxxis mud bugs and its not much more than 50" with about 13" of ground clearance. The rzr's only hidderence in the trails seems to be its ground clearance. Then do the DIY snorkel off this site. The belt intake and exhaust are in stupid places but snorkel all three. Air, belt intake and exhaust then seal up the air box lid with grease on the seal and use a second type of foam element cleaner on the end of the snorkel. Just some cheaper ideas from a cheaper kind of rider. Have fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts