Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new razor out over this past weekend. My boss got crazy and tip it on it's side. I noticed the steering wheel is a little off center. I'm not sure if it was like this already or if it happened after the tip. How would I adjust this to bring the wheel back to center?

BTW, 300 miles in about 18 hours of drive time, encountered no issues. I'm a happy camper.

H

·
0 Posts
First you need to ensure nothing was damaged to cause the wheel to be off..tie rods ect.
With that said mine was off from the factory. First I checked the alignment,tie rod lengths(you can adjust the wheel postion by lengthening one tierod and shortening the opposite an equal amount,but I would only do that if the rods were not the proper lenghts to start with) ect and everything was good..only thing left really was the wheel just being a tooth or so off. There is a couple methods for getting it centered. First note which direction it needs to go. Pop the center cap off,back the nut off but don't remove it completely as it will protect the threads during the next step. Next use a large brass drift and hammer to tap the end of the shaft while you lift up/back on the wheel. I sit in the seat and use my knees to lift the wheel. You don't have to hit the shaft real hard...just enough to jar it.
Now that the wheel is off you can turn it where you think it needs to be,then put the wheel back on and put the nut on finger tight(so you don't have to repeat the process with the hammer and drift) and drive it on a straight flat(ie no side pitch) road and see if it is straight..repeat adjustment if needed,if not tighten the nut and put the center cap back on...
I actually use a slightly different technique..where I get the machine on a straight road and get it tracking straight and center the wheel while driving...but I have a private road I can do it on...wouldn't suggest you try that anywhere there is ANY chance of other traffic,people ect, anything getting in your way..especially on your first attempt at centering a steering wheel.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
My 2010 RZR-S came from the factory off too guess they are not smart enough to center a steering wheel? It works out ok for me it provides a better view of the dash where I mount my GPS with velcro, but its sad they cant install them straight...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts