Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could not find the center grease zirk for the prop shaft. The owners manual shows a view from above with the center floor section removed of the location. I wondered for a while if they really expected you to either remove the floor or skid plate to access this one fitting that needs attention so often. The access hole through the skid plate was not there so I had to make my own with a hole saw. Anyone else notice this, or am I just lucky? The joint was dry as a bone, btw, another comforting service my former dealer provided.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
... I wondered for a while if they really expected you to either remove the floor or skid plate to access this one fitting that needs attention so often. ...
here's a decent photo of a 2 seater but you get the idea. Slot is there on a 2 seater. you notice factory purple stuff. Then my general purpose grease....pushing out nothing. As far as the remaining 20 splines

A-arm: purple stuff all around the zerk. Unfortunately the purple stuff never really went in the zerk. The zerk below it dry as a bone. None.

Sway bar: none on either of mine.

Op mentions the dealer and I take some exception to that. I watch my dealer day to day and hear what they go thru to stay open. Now selling machines and making under $100 profit because of customers nickle d!^^!ng dealer vs dealer. You know the stories. Envision the worst possible and I hear about it each week now.

Never once have I heard of anyone on this Forvm pleased with "dealer prep" costs. Quite the opposite.

Not saying it well but if you are in anyway exposed to your dealer and their sorrows you would feel bad and give them.
Connecting all battery cables and grounds - yes
tightening a roll cage - yes
having to re-grease the machine: - you decide

thing that gets me is that most assy. workers are pretty smart. I have faith in them. Iowa and Minn. even more so. Show them a zerk and that's all the training they need. Most of them grew up around tractors probably. Dad probably made them milk 300 cows and grease the tractor before they walked to school. And that's just the girls. Something is going on.
Forgive me but in that aerial view last week of the Polaris plant there was a Case I.H. plant across the street. You know those are getting greased. Probably by their brothers sisters moms and dads.
Time for my 10:01 medicine

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the dealer comment was pretty vague, because there were some other issues I found out after getting home with the new ride. i agree with the cost of doing business and all, I am in business for myself as a matter of fact. no need to stick up for this particular dealer, or any other for that matter. I was simply trying to find out if the access hole for this fitting is missing on anybody else's 900 4seater.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I ended up replacing all 6 of the front suspension zerks on mine. 3 of them were blocked, so it was just cheap insurance to change them all. Those 3 took roughly 10 pumps with the grease gun.

I havent see the prop shaft zerks, but having to remove stuff is probably why.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After reading this I checked my rzr and found the a arms had grease. And the rest did not. I too cannot find the middle zerk for DS. I guess I HAVE TO remove a panel because I can bet money it's bone dry.
What grease u guys using for DS?
I'm using Lucas red and tacky #2 for all except drive shaft. (does anybody know why the shaft needs a different kind of grease)

Steve

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My step son and I greased my Rzr before a big ride last weekend. Some of them took 6 or 7 pumps worth of grease!!! Come on!!! It's a 2012, bought in April. That's proof to me the grease gun at Polaris and my dealer is MIA

·
Registered
863 Posts
Have you rode since April and not greased anything? Mine gets a grease job after every trip. JMO but you might want to service it a little more often. Most every time I grease mine there's water come out of the A-arm bushings.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I only grease mine at 25-hour intervals, when I change all of the lubes and oil. I use synthetic Green Grease. I lube the prop-shaft while I have the skid-plate off, doing the rest of the lube/oil changes. I lube ALL of the zerks, and leave a liberal amount around the ends of the A-arm shafts; this effectively seals the the ends of the A-arm shafts, and keeps the dust from getting up into the bushings. I do not ride in deep water. I also installed zerks in my rear bearing-carriers, so I can grease my rear-outer A-arm bushings without having to disassemble the A-arms where they attach to the carriers. My two-bits..........

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes you have to remove skid plate for access to the middle grease fitting
not into that at all, expecially with the super duper self tapper bolts. how many times in and out are they going to last? i used a 1 1/2" hole saw in just the right spot and now all i have to do is remember to put the trans in N before I crawl my fat a$$ under there!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Have you rode since April and not greased anything? Mine gets a grease job after every trip. JMO but you might want to service it a little more often. Most every time I grease mine there's water come out of the A-arm bushings.
This was the first service I had done on my own. That's why I say the gun at the dealer and the factory must have been MIA. After reading threads on here I decided to do the service myself. And thank goodness I did!

·
Registered
863 Posts
This was the first service I had done on my own. That's why I say the gun at the dealer and the factory must have been MIA. After reading threads on here I decided to do the service myself. And thank goodness I did!
OOOOH I see I thought you were the only one doing service SORRY:doh:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Today I decided to investigate location of Middle Prop Shaft grease fitting (drive shaft zerk).

I removed the center floorboard, you have to remove front seats and need two sizes of torx heads for the screws.

I lifted the center floorboard and under the shifter is the location of the "missing zerk" and yes, it is dry. <pictures 1&2>

I measured 13" from zerk to cut out slot on skid plate. <Pictures 3&4>

I got my 2" key-hole bit, Measured TWICE and drilled a hole in the skid plate from the bottom (no need to jack up RZR). <Pictures 5,6&7>

Looking in the new hole "theres that missing zerk!" <pictures 8&9>

*Expert Advise* I would drill new hole slightly on the passenger side 13" toward the rear, from the existing slot (that has no use for the XP4.)
Also keep RZR in "N" so you can roll till zerk is facing new hole.

I will use the specified grease from Polaris on the two locations for the "prop shaft".
I hope this helps...

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Today I decided to investigate location of Middle Prop Shaft grease fitting (drive shaft zerk).

I removed the center floorboard, you have to remove front seats and need two sizes of torx heads for the screws.

I lifted the center floorboard and under the shifter is the location of the "missing zerk" and yes, it is dry. <pictures 1&2>

I measured 13" from zerk to cut out slot on skid plate. <Pictures 3&4>

I got my 2" key-hole bit, Measured TWICE and drilled a hole in the skid plate from the bottom (no need to jack up RZR). <Pictures 5,6&7>

Looking in the new hole "theres that missing zerk!" <pictures 8&9>

*Expert Advise* I would drill new hole slightly on the passenger side 13" toward the rear, from the existing slot (that has no use for the XP4.)
Also keep RZR in "N" so you can roll till zerk is facing new hole.

I will use the specified grease from Polaris on the two locations for the "prop shaft".
I hope this helps...

Steve
Nice job! Great info. Thanks Steve :popcorn:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts