Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapped out my OEM air filter on my 18 XPT 30 hours and 335 miles ago for the Donaldson powercore g2. I never got a good look down the intake after I took the old filter off, but I inspected today and noticed a fine amount of dust on the intake elbow out of the air box. I couldn’t tell if the plastic was hazy or not so I wiped it and sure enough it’s a very thin layer.

Is anyone else having problems with the powercore or OEM? What’s an acceptable amount of dust? I’d assume NONE....
I know oem is the best, but the powercore flows better and is guaranteed for so many miles, so I thought I’d give it a shot. Not feeling so great now.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Have had a RZR since the 2008 model. My opinion is to ALWAYS stick with the OEM filters. Tested a bunch of stuff in 2008. Nothing worked. Polaris is very good at provided the filters that work best. Anything that flows better means it is not filtering as good as the OEM. Lots of false information from those who want to sell their product.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Adding on. You are correct ZERO dust is the goal. Good advice, change your oil and filter now and again in 20 hrs or less to flush out the dirt in the engine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Have had a RZR since the 2008 model. My opinion is to ALWAYS stick with the OEM filters. Tested a bunch of stuff in 2008. Nothing worked. Polaris is very good at provided the filters that work best. Anything that flows better means it is not filtering as good as the OEM. Lots of false information from those who want to sell their product AND THOSE POSTING HERE
Do a little research on Donaldson...I think they just might know a little more about making air filters than Polaris:wink

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
I have been running the Powercore the one from AA sells ...and also the OEM. I always grease the rubber lip ...and I have not seen any dust what so ever and I check this closely every time I change or clean it
I would say the Powercore and the Donaldson / OEM both work excellent. The only time I have seen any trace of dust is when I did not add more grease to the plastic intake lip

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Have had a RZR since the 2008 model. My opinion is to ALWAYS stick with the OEM filters. Tested a bunch of stuff in 2008. Nothing worked. Polaris is very good at provided the filters that work best. Anything that flows better means it is not filtering as good as the OEM. Lots of false information from those who want to sell their product AND THOSE POSTING HERE
Do a little research on Donaldson...I think they just might know a little more about making air filters than Polaris:wink
And just who do you think Polaris works with to get the filters.:wink

·
Jay
53 Posts
Have had a RZR since the 2008 model. My opinion is to ALWAYS stick with the OEM filters. Tested a bunch of stuff in 2008. Nothing worked. Polaris is very good at provided the filters that work best. Anything that flows better means it is not filtering as good as the OEM. Lots of false information from those who want to sell their product.
Yes, because nothing has improved since 2008.

I just went through this and there a lot of fans of the OEM filter. I am not one of them as I had the same issue as the OP. Fine dust getting inside the filter and inside the intake tube. I switched over to the desert craft filter and after two rides in excess of 130 miles each in very dusty conditions I have zero, zip, nada dust anywhere on the clean side of the filter.

·
Jay
53 Posts
And just who do you think Polaris works with to get the filters.:wink
The lowest bidder :wink

·
Registered
432 Posts
Riding in the Arizona dust for 5800 miles on my XP, using the “expensive” Polaris filter, made by Donaldson. Zero dust.......blow it out periodically, then change it after a few cleanings.

If somebody else can do better, prove it.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Yes, because nothing has improved since 2008.

I just went through this and there a lot of fans of the OEM filter. I am not one of them as I had the same issue as the OP. Fine dust getting inside the filter and inside the intake tube. I switched over to the desert craft filter and after two rides in excess of 130 miles each in very dusty conditions I have zero, zip, nada dust anywhere on the clean side of the filter.
And there are those who claim they can walk on water too!!!!! Did you try the Polaris HD, Donaldson filter? Polaris has changed over to it at least in their Turbos and the 2017 XP also had it in it. To each his own. And no not everything has changed since 2008. Some of the filters I tested and failed very badly are still on the market being sold with the same false information about better flow and more HP. That is OK. Keeps the engine builders in business. Do a little research on this forum. Find those who are complaining about oil use and or loss of power. First question is what air filter are you using? They did not use a OEM filter.

Any filter that claims to be cleanable by blowing out is one I will never use. Based on experience in off road and on road diesel use and observations over the years. They use to claim to be able to clean the big diesel paper filters. That did not last long. Found out it destroyed the filter paper and let more dirt through. Now it is recommend to replace only. Gentle tap out but still better to replace. Trying to save money on filters is extremely self defeating and will cost so much more in long run.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just my .02 - regardless of which air filter you choose, anybody who rides in significant dust should be looking at adding an S&B Particle Separator to their rig. I have 109 hours/2087 miles on mine, almost all of it riding in desert dust - I'm still running the original air filter it came with off the showroom floor and it still looks like brand new. The inside of my airbox is pristine - no dust in the airbox, none in the intake. I inspect it every few rides, but have never had to clean my filter or airbox even once.

I thought the S&B was a lot of hype when the service guys at the dealership highly recommended it to me at the time I bought my RZR. Nearly 2 years of experience with it has made me a believer.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Just my .02 - regardless of which air filter you choose, anybody who rides in significant dust should be looking at adding an S&B Particle Separator to their rig. I have 109 hours/2087 miles on mine, almost all of it riding in desert dust - I'm still running the original air filter it came with off the showroom floor and it still looks like brand new. The inside of my air box is pristine - no dust in the airbox, none in the intake.

I thought the S&B was a lot of hype when the service guys at the dealership highly recommended it to me at the time I bought my RZR. Nearly 2 years of experience with it has made me a believer.
In Arizona every machine should have one out the door. Other states around Arizona as well.

·
Registered
409 Posts
In Arizona every machine should have one out the door. Other states around Arizona as well.
I agree 100%. I'm glad the dealership recommended it, and I had it installed before I picked my RZR up from the dealer. I'll do the same with any/every RZR I buy in the future. Certainly not a necessity for the guys who ride loamy woods or mud, but for anybody who rides in a lot of dust it's definitely a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah shoot...I don’t know when it got in which is what I’m bummed about. I have the one from AA and hoping that the dust is from my previous filter, the oem that I tapped out a couple times. I remember it was PACKED with dust when I did...Guess I’ll have to pull the intake all apart and clean it. Keep running the AA and make sure it’s not dusting the engine, and switch over if it is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So glad I put the sb partical filter on my 18 turbo. I ride the wilds in northern nh and the dust at times is so bad I had to change out OEM filter every 100 or so miles. Now it's like night and day hardly any crap makes it to the filter. One of the best purchases I've made for my ride

·
Standard Vendor
1,461 Posts
Please take a moment to review your factory service manual about maintaining your air filter. Weather it be the standard white or blue element, it clearly states that you should not attempt to clean them. The media is not engineered to be cleaned and can be compromised if you do so. That being said tapping off excess dirt to give a little more service life is fine, but blowing it out or washing it is just not a good idea.

We spent nearly 2 years developing our sever duty Desercraft air filter. When others were concerned with HP gains and flow we concentrated on filtration down to sub micron levels. By the numbers we have the most efficient filter on the market at those levels. Our combination of medias is born from an industrial back ground an is designed to be serviced and will not be compromised by blowing it out. Although our filter can take the abuse of blowing them out we recommend and prefer that our customers wash them out which results in a better service overall.

If you would like to see us servicing our severe duty air filter and our prefilters, check out our FB page at the link below.
Regards,
https://www.facebook.com/Desertcraft-636661456376234/

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I ran foam, fabric, and paper filters and never had a problem.

Foam Filter: I submerged the filter into a bucket of oil (maxima, no toil, etc) and squeeze excess oil off the filter. Do not twist! I cleaned and re oiled the filter after every ride. I also kept a couple of spares in a zip lock bag. I’m currently running a dual stage filter now on my quad with a clean intake tract.

Stock OEM filter- I tossed and replaced after every ride and didn’t attempt to blow it out. No issues. I accumulated several and some of my friends would reuse them calling me nuts. Haha

I ran 8 ply fabric filters in the past and sprayed around the base, inside, and outside of the filter element. I had to prop those filters up for a few hours to allow the excess oil to run off or the oil would be in my box.

The service intervals vary based on riding conditions not miles if you’re behind a parade of units toss or properly clean the filter before the next ride. Ideally, it’s not good to have dirt in the intact tract but if it’s not using oil you’re still in the green. Just take the tube off and thoroughly clean it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts