Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Vendor
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**Note: as we come out with more products/updates we'll edit this thread, so keep checking back***

The 2020 Pro XP is down on crank rated horsepower compared to the X3 RR, but to the wheels this RZR seems extremely efficient. In the snowmobile world Polaris has always been better at transferring power to the ground... its seems the same with this Pro XP. With the larger water cooled turbo & different cams this RZR is going to be a beast. We had time this weekend to do some initial testing and a little clutching. We were high 170's to the wheels with just a flash, clutching added another 5-7hp. Once we get our notes together and do more testing, we'll show other results.

These clutches are simply amazing to work on! We have seen a similar version on the new style Ranger XP 1000's so clutching these is not completely new. This is very important as making clutch changes easier means better power transfer to the wheels at all times for your terrain/tire. Everything comes apart as soon as you remove the primary bolt, so replacing the wearable buttons will be extremely easy. The entire Pro XP has that satisfying feeling that everything was well thought out. More videos/images to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm going to guess to do one part of the top end you have to do it all. Complete top end with turbo and cooling system changes to make it work on older models. Really looking forward to getting some for sure answers on it as well... hoping we can do certain pieces and not the entire thing, but am doubting it.

·
Morris Racing #711
441 Posts
I'm curious because I'm already planning to pull the head this winter and build for next year so if the new head is redesigned and is an improvement I might start with it instead of the what I have.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,112 Posts
So do you think we can use our old weights and spring s in the new primary.i have one on order as soon as polaris release them.im so tired of the rattling factory 18 primary
Springs, highly doubtful....weights, no. The pro XP uses a much wider weights.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
So do you think we can use our old weights and spring s in the new primary.i have one on order as soon as polaris release them.im so tired of the rattling factory 18 primary
I believe I read that the Pro XP Primary will not work on the older RZRs.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It should it's the same belt from what I've read.so I'll get some springs and weights ordered up .sad pard is I'll get my clutching before my clutch
Don't go assuming because the belt is the same it will work. The entire clutch is completely different along with a completely different housing. Assuming the crankshaft hasn't changed you should be able to upgrade. However, like the top end you'll probably have to buy everything... primary, secondary, cvt housing, cvt cover, intake and exhaust tubes. That all adds up real quick in price, I'd guess over $2k. And then obviously the body has changed, so you'll have to play around with that intake tube to make work.

As far as individual parts from the primary and secondary swapping over to the old primary/secondary, I would say nothing will swap over at all. Far too different. At best will be the spring, but again I doubt it. And the spring is the least of what I want, there are plenty of springs in many different rates available in the aftermarket that works amazingly well already.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,112 Posts
It should it's the same belt from what I've read.so I'll get some springs and weights ordered up .sad pard is I'll get my clutching before my clutch
According to Hubert Rowland, the primary clutch will retrofit to the current Turbo, and yes, does use the same belt, but it uses different weights for sure, they are much wider, the spring I don't know, but may be similar in size, spring rate is unknown, plus it'll tune differently than the current primary as well.... The secondary uses a different shaft size, so it will not directly fit.

Check this video around the 13 min mark

·
Registered
962 Posts
Great video, I love the way that primary comes apart. I'm really hoping Airdam comes out with a retrofit kit for it. However, I still have concerns. Video guy said it fits (assuming he's right), it still looks huge! I don't know if that truly means it'll fit with my current housing. Fit on the crankshaft, sure. So you still might have to buy the entire housing and cover still to truly make work on older models. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out and is adapted.

·
Vendor
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The cylinder head has the coil on head bolts which might get in the way, but could work with the older style coil and plug wires. You'd need to run the bleeder to the coolant reservoir.

Cams I'd sure think would be a direct fit... we'll get some in when available and do some measuring. **EDIT: cams look to be the same as previous years**

The pro turbo grabs coolant from the new reservoir which is behind the drivers seat and so does the head. It's going to need quite a few parts and custom parts to make it happen on the older XPT's. We may be able to adapt it over without water cooling. I'm not sure that it would be much more advantage than our current turbo upgrade at that point, but we'll see.

Old style weights will not work in the new primary. We do have another primary clutch just like the Pro XP we have adapted to fit on other RZR's... we've done a soft launch to see how they run. We'll have them available if Pro XP clutches don't fit. It's the same P90X clutch design, just slightly smaller spider/hub design. It uses current style turbo weights and works very well.

We'll also be testing to see if the Pro XP clutch fits on the older style turbo's. It does use a new clutch puller. It also looks like the fins are larger on the back side... so it may need some work to retro fit without a new inner/outer cover. We'll also need to verify that alignment is set correctly. The primary spring is much different and a larger diameter on the Pro XP primary.

Secondary will not fit. The transmission shaft is different and uses a different, longer spline. It's close, just not close enough. The new secondary we have seen before on another Polaris model so we already have prototype helixes we've been testing with. This secondary is very easy to work on and has a small ID inner hub on it so the belt won't bottom out as easy on full shift.

You can install a clutch kit without ever using a belt tool which is great!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Mike can you send me info on the clutch .the old rattling one I have drives me nuts it's in perfect condition it only has 600 miles on it it just the noise reminds me of driving my old 7 3 idi

·
Vendor
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We did a few miles of break in on our actual shop XPT, did a ton of field testing, then then verify results on the dyno. We ran stock, then with a few tune levels.

We have Pro XP tuning up online for level 1, 2 & 3. Level 2 is what we'd suggest for highest power right now until our exhaust & clutch kit are available. Level 3 works fine for 0-60 bursts but beyond that the stock exhaust builds too much back pressure/heat and you will pick up some knock.

The original dyno sheet is with prototype clutching on level 3, we'll have updated results with our production clutch kit and exhaust (both mods we'd suggest to run L3) within the next week.

https://aftermarketassassins.com/products?olsPage=products/aa-custom-tuned-powervision-for-2020-rzr-pro-xp-turbo

1 - 20 of 55 Posts