Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
aka: Bad Influence
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, after 70 hours and 900 miles the pivot bushings and sleeves were worn out and very loose, also both upper ball joints were worn out as well. I talked with the dealer and determined that they would not be covered under the extended warranty so I set off to replace the items myself. After purchasing a Delrin kit and new pivots sleeves I felt I was on my way to a tight front end again..... But this did not happen as I had expected.

I installed the bushings and sleeves and found that I still had movement fore and aft with both upper and lower a-arms. The quality and tolerance issues with this unit is very frustrating, I was hoping for much better quality out of the RZR 4 but I knew there would be some issues since they always go for the cheaper way of manufacturing but I had full expectations of the aftermarket items to fit much better and was very disappointed in the quality of fitment of items. I don't see the benefits of spending all of that money on the delrin if they don't tighten up the front end like it should be.

Also before you go telling me it is the bolt holes I can assure you it is not. I have checked those and they are fine plus with torquing of the bolts the bolts are not moving period.

Question is this what is everyone else doing to alleviate any movement in the a-arms and how often are you guys replacing your ball joints?

·
Registered
751 Posts
This is the weakest link in the rzr IMO. I have been thru 2 balljoint sets, 2 tie rodsets ,all bushings,4 pinch bolts 4 hubs etc , etc. this is on a non s with 1600 miles.

They could of done better imo .

·
Just kidding!
10,754 Posts
The ball joints have alot of play even when there new.There are some stronger one's available I know EPI makes some nice one's but there like $50 a piece.Campared to $20 for stock.There is another brand I seen that are also heavy duty and cheaper than EPI's but cant remember who makes them.

·
Registered
751 Posts
They are big (30s`)and certainly contribute to the issue , however the balljoint ,tie rod a arm set up could be better built IMO . I am not complaining as i drive it hard ,but in terms of weak spots this is near the top.

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah crap, everything is already back together.

I am thinking about making my own bushings next time. That way I can control the tolerances between the sleeve and the bushing. I can buy delrin by the rod cheap and then turn my own. it takes no time turning delrin and like i said I can control the clearance at that time to make sure they fit properly. I just dont think there is any quality in things anymore, everyone is concentrated on quantity.

I will check into EPI ball joints next time. I dont trust ball joints when they start having movement in and out of the joint itself. It will eventually come apart and that will be ugly if it happens at speed.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
You should be able to push the bushings in by hand, and not have to use a mallet.The same for the crush sleeves. The frame bolt should also have no slop inside the sleeve. We build suspension systems, ambient temperature is also a concern when machining the Delrin to fit. As far as the stock ball joints, we don't use them. Because they will fail ,we suggest to people when they call to carry spares. (SHAWZ)

·
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats my plan from now on, spare ball joints and This winter I will make my own Delrin with a little tighter tolerances. I would love to do a Long travel kit but not sure it fits my budget right now. I like yours it looks very well built.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts