Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 800 that has around 9k miles on it. Had a loss of power for sometime and figured it was time for a new top end. Pulled everything off and took the head off and got everything torn down to the pistons. I removed the lifters from left to right and all were good except the far right one next to the cab. It was cupped pretty badly. Looked at the cam and it doesn’t seem too worn. Would I be okay to just get a new set of lifters and try it? I didn’t plan on completely removing the engine and I think that’s the only way to remove the cam. Thanks for any help or suggestions

·
Registered
254 Posts
Info from service manual - see the note at bottom of section.
Product Font Line Gas Fixture

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I have read that before, but i was thinking maybe if the cam wasn’t worn too bad that it would be okay to put a new set of lifters in it for awhile

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thank you, I have read that before, but i was thinking maybe if the cam wasn’t worn too bad that it would be okay to put a new set of lifters in it for awhile
Not sure, but it looks to me from what it says in 3,4 & 5, that you may be able to as long as there is not scoring or severe wear - if camshaft looks good, it may be worth trying without replacing camshaft.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After investigating more on this. The cam is toast. The first lobe closest to the cab is completely worn off flat almost and it isn’t raising and lowering the lifter nearly enough. So I guess I’ll be pulling the engine now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone know of any aftermarket cams that are good quality. Not really wanting to drop $450 on a Polaris.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Anyone know of any aftermarket cams that are good quality. Not really wanting to drop $450 on a Polaris.
Here's a Ebay listing for one from Caltric for $39.85 - it will also bring up a listing for that includes camshaft & lifters for $68.85

Can't speak to the quality of their camshaft, but I've bought other parts from Caltric for motorcycles & RZR and was pleased with the quality.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you sir. You wouldn’t happen to know the detailed process of putting a new cam in would you?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thank you sir. You wouldn’t happen to know the detailed process of putting a new cam in would you?
It's a pretty big job. Have to split the case. Might as well just do a bottom end rebuild while you are in there. That is not cheap though. Can run almost as much as buying a rebuilt drop in. Good luck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Haven't done one on a RZR, so I can't offer any guidance other than a link to the service manual and a few video links that may be helpful
- you'll find Engine disassembly & camshaft info in Chapter 3
I'm sure one of the other guys that have done a rebuild will respond with some hands on advice

POLARIS RANGER RZR 800 MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again guys for the help. I was thinking I could get by with not splitting the case and just removing the cover and stator and flywheel and pull the gears off and slide the cam out. Maybe I was just thinking wrong on that. One thing that is a little confusing even after reading it in the manual is getting the gears timed back.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks again guys for the help. I was thinking I could get by with not splitting the case and just removing the cover and stator and flywheel and pull the gears off and slide the cam out. Maybe I was just thinking wrong on that. One thing that is a little confusing even after reading it in the manual is getting the gears timed back.
That can be a little tricky but they all have marks but I have read on people's rebuilds that they mess it up and have to split the case again lol. Can't remember what gear but oneof them you have to heat press it back on and line up the gears at same time. Are you just replacing camshaft or are you going to rebuild further? Like I said seems full rebuilds are not much less then buying a rebuilt drop in motor ready to go.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Search the forums. There was a guy not long ago that did a full rebuild. I can't remember his user name but he was very knowledgeable and a mechanic. He would be able to help you out if you can get ahold of him.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I plan on just replacing the cam. Everything else seems to be good. The part that is confusing for me is getting the Pistons top dead center to line up the marks on the gears

·
Registered
254 Posts
I plan on just replacing the cam. Everything else seems to be good. The part that is confusing for me is getting the Pistons top dead center to line up the marks on the gears
Pretty much everyone recommends splitting the case to replace the camshaft - there are advantages to doing this as you can check and make sure that all of the bottom end is in good shape,
If you review the "Polaris Bottom End" video that I attached - it shows how to set timing gears during reassembly (starts around the 40 minute mark)
- I would suggest you watch the whole video along with the "Top End Build Up" one done by the same guy - there are many helpful tips in them.

Are you still trying to replace camshaft without removing engine & splitting the case?
Here's a link to an old thread on the question, that has c2turbo "David" with "Complete Performance" in Marietta GA saying it can be done.
- looks like his last post on the forum, was in May 2013, but it appears that they have a active Facebook page
(see his comment below)
(YOU CAN change the cam with out splitting the cases did one last week. you do have to pull the motor and side cover. you don't have to pull the head off but take the rockers out and push rods. we use 4 magnets to hold up the lifters pull the side covers and magneto and 2 gears slide the old cam out molly up the new one slide it in and reassemble.NOW with this being said ! Polaris recommends that the lifters be replaced, this can be done without splitting the cases but not without removing the head.the whole deal can be done in about 2 hours once the motor is out which is about another 45-1hour if you are fast and everything goes well
Thanks David
complete Performance
770 519 7525

Good Luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts