Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 800 rzr is hard to start and won't take any accelerator till you let it idle and warm up. Then after that it has warmed up it still don't take the gas right. Any thoughts or recommendations.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Pete those 2013's have a sensor on the gas peddle, wonder if that could be causing problems? Also have you checked fuel pressure? And lastly maybe throttle position sensor bad or out of adjustment?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bypassing the accelerator switch didn't help. It will fire up after a couple of turns and idle great but if you touch the accelerator before it gets warm up it will die then it is hard to start. Seems if you wait about 15 to 20 seconds then it will start or at least hit a lick or two as you are cranking it. After it warms up it still don't take the gas well some hesitation. Have not checked the fuel pressure yet. I guess that is my next step. Any suggestion or help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Also is showing a check engine code 520 194 with a 3 down under it.
Error code 520194-3 means that the throttle release signal component is the area of suspect and the voltage is too high.
I would assume that has to do with the sensor on the gas peddle. But not 100% on that.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This code was before I put the resistor in the place of the throttle switch. How can you clear the code?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
This code was before I put the resistor in the place of the throttle switch. How can you clear the code?
Should be able to unhook the battery for a few minutes and clear it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK this thing will fire after about 1 turn (almost instantly) but will immediately die then it won't fire anymore until it sits for a while. It is getting fire to the plugs but it seems weak to me. The fire is kind of yellow-orange, not blue, like I think it should be. Pulled the plugs and they looked a little wet. Traded out to a good known fuel pump and ignition switch and I checked the fuel pressure and it was 44lbs when I first turned it on then when it cycled off as normal it immediately dropped to 32 PSI. Is this normal? Don't show any codes right as of now.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We finally figured it out. (This is a very condensed version. Lots of head scratching thinking almost cussing growling bitching more head scratching, changing out parts from a known good source before I got to this point) First was the throttle switch. Done the bypass and it got to where it would fire as quick as you hit the starter but would die. Then I checked the crankshaft position sensor with a voltage meter and it checked out good . But I noticed the plug was ready nasty so I cleaned and greased it . But still didn't start but it changed to hit every once and a while as you were cranking it so I determined the plugs were fouled from all the cranking. Put new plugs in and it starts and runs fine. Hope this help somebody else to figure out their problems. BIG THANKS again for all the help from all of you.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
We finally figured it out. (This is a very condensed version. Lots of head scratching thinking almost cussing growling bitching more head scratching, changing out parts from a known good source before I got to this point) First was the throttle switch. Done the bypass and it got to where it would fire as quick as you hit the starter but would die. Then I checked the crankshaft position sensor with a voltage meter and it checked out good . But I noticed the plug was ready nasty so I cleaned and greased it . But still didn't start but it changed to hit every once and a while as you were cranking it so I determined the plugs were fouled from all the cranking. Put new plugs in and it starts and runs fine. Hope this help somebody else to figure out their problems. BIG THANKS again for all the help from all of you.
Glad you got it running Pete! Looks like 1 or 2 things messed up another to the point of it not running! That really makes it a bitch to diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys I spoke to soon after letting it sit over night went out to start it to go for a ride and it is still doing the same thing. (WITH THE ENGINE COLD)When you hit the starter it fires instantly but will only run for a second then dies, then when you try to start it again it won't start but sometimes if you cycle the ,key off and back on it will hit a lick and some time it won't. (WITH THE ENGINE WARMED UP) It starts fine but has some hesitation. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I answered this post a couple of days ago but some reason it didn't post, anyway I checked the fuel pressure. It was about 44 - 45 psi and to be sure that wasn't the problem I tried one off another RZR that runs fine and it didn't help. It will start in the first couple of turns but dies as quick as it starts. If it does keep running you can't touch the pedal or it will die and won't start back until you let it set for a while but once it warms up it starts real easy with no problem. Hope someone can help me out. It certainly would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,392 Posts
Tight valve clearances make for real hard cold starts.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is an 800, it has hydraulic lifters. Thanks though.

Could this problem be one of the sensors? Maybe the t-map sensor or the throttle position sensor or one of the others? I'm stumped don't know what to do next.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts