Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Machine: 2015 XP1K 4 seater with 6,500 miles. Fresh oils, filters, spark plugs. New harness plugs on the fuel injectors.

Condition: When the ECT is cold (less than about 100 degrees) and I go to pull it off the trailer or out of the garage, the 65590 and 65591 codes will pop up. Once I stop to shift into a different gear, the car I will die unless I give it some gas. If does die, it will be hard to restart (maybe about 15 seconds). The car always cold starts with a flick of the key... Once the car is up to operating temp and we are out on a ride, if I stop before a hill or creek to shift into low, it will die unless I feather the gas. Also, while I was allowing to idle on the trailer while I was unstrapping it, I heard the engine change tone, and I got a blinking CEL for the same two codes. Just unloading it and pulling it into the garage cleared the code.

Possible solutions:
ECU is detecting belt slippage and throwing the CEL? If that is the case, then why would it throw the CEL while idling on the trailer?

MAP sensor connector is bad? Before I pull the trigger and order a replacement from Weller, I would like to know that is culprit. I can pull and wiggle on the connector and the car will not die. I would like to know what voltage should be coming from each wire (especially the purple wire) so I could know for sure that is the problem.

Anyone else have a possible solution? I will do compression test next. I also want to try to swap the coils to see if the problem follows the coil (anybody know if cylinder one is passenger or drivers side?)

I did a 90 mile ride last saturday, and the car ran great, only time I have problems is when I come down to idle to switch gears or stop, the idle will be low and it will try to die.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Code is missfire on cyl 1 & 2. Should not do it if idling and not in gear. First thing I would do is change the plugs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Stalling at idle when put into gear is most likely due to primary clutch wear. Primary clutch not fully opening up allows belt to be engaged rather than slipping for launch. Feathering throttle allows enough power to slip for launch.
Inspect movable sheave to see if it is opening all the way; full stroke should have the cover close to the clutch retaining washer and no fixed sheave shaft visible. You can remove the belt and push on the cover and release to verify free motion.
Most common wear issue is with the flyweight / roller interface. Remove clutch, or in a pinch, you can remove the 6 bolts holding the cover on while still on the machine. With cover and spring removed, inspect rollers for flat spots, excessive wear on flyweight and its pivot bolt. Cast channel in spider may also show wear from flyweight contact.
If rollers are free from flat spots, you maybe able to replace flyweights and the bolts to extend the life of the clutch.
Excessive wear on the machined faces where the spider buttons slide will probably be present as well. Cover and spider bushing / shaft interface could also be past useful life.
Trying to rebuild without addressing all of these issues is not worth it.
Secondary clutch should be inspected as well with your mileage level on the vehicle.
A new primary clutch will be needed most likely. You will need to purchase flyweights and limiter washer, and spring if you don’t reuse your old spring if it shows no damage.
Search forum for more info on misfire codes. I know I have posted an excerpt from a recent service manual that explains the codes and possible solutions. Clutch, belt, plugs all at the top of the list for most common fixes, but, also could be components integral to fuel injection. Step thru diagnostics logically and you will find the issue rather than throwing parts at it. Machine runs, so most likely issue is with clutches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. My primary was rebuilt by the previous owner about 300-400 miles ago. That being said, it does show some wear, and I plan on replacing it soon. While I was going through different items it could be yesterday, I again wiggled the tmap plug again while it was idling. It immediately died. Started it back up, wiggled the plug again and it died again. Looks like this is my problem. I ordered the pigtail from Weller Racing. I will update the board once I get it in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts