Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting 4 months for my HCR Racing plus 5 long travel kit it's on the UPS truck this morning and on it's way to my shop for installation. The main hold up was from King shocks, as all you west costies know it's dune season, shocks are in demand and on back order.
My front stock A arms are bent and dented, bushings are shot and one rear shock is leaking around the shaft. The rear arms are just beat up with bad bushings. I will be adding 30x10x14 Sunf tires that measure 29 inches off the rim. I'm currently running Tusk Terrabites 28x10x14 that in their worn out state on the rzr only measure 26 inches tall. Sorry for the fuzzy pics I broke the lens cover on my phone the other day. I'll use my gopro for the next ones.

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everything showed up at 11am. Took me about an hour to unpack and sort out all the parts. I read through all the directions then started to disassemble the front suspension.

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The axle bars and ball joints are RCV. But the inner and outer cv's are new oem. I found a couple of stretched pinch bolts on the front drivers side spindle so I made a trip to town and visited Fastenall and had to order 4 new bolts that will be here Friday. I'm also replacing both tie rod ends one was slightly bent.
I didn't realize how worn out my tires were until the new Sunfs arrived.

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm enjoying my time alone in the garage. I find it relaxing moving at my own slow pace removing old parts and cleaning up the machine as I go.
I need to modify the lower a arm mounts to allow for more drop by removing about on inch of material. Then I can start assembly mock up, I want to make sure everything is clearanced properly for full suspension cycle

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slow moving but getting there. Need to go to NAPA this morning for a couple of clips for the CV's and pick up some brake fluid.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That’s awesome
I added long travel to a Kawasaki about 8 years ago whole new machine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front is about 98% complete, lol, gotta replace the tie rod ends so I'm going to the Iron Pony first thing in the morning and the spindle pinch bolts will be in tomorrow as well. I tried to start and because I need to bleed the brakes it did not. I'm also doing some clutch maintenance. I think the rear will go a little quicker.

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s awesome
I added long travel to a Kawasaki about 8 years ago whole new machine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man

What kit and how's holding up? Howsabout some pics?
I could not anywhere on the net of someone doing a long travel on a 1000s

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ran into a snag with the rear axles today. I'm sure it's probably my fault, but I gotta make some calls tomorrow. There is no room for the snap ring. The oem axles splines are a 1/4 longer on the inboard. The out board cv is already installed on both axles, by me, but I'm sure the splines are the same length. The front went together with out a hitch. I did the same process for the rear.

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So....
The Iron Pony had my EPI tie rod ends but course they did not have CV's.
I called EPI Performance tech support and their inners will work with my axles. Only thing I did incorrectly was ordered cheep axles off eBay, for 37 bucks for the entire assembly, and attempted to remove the CV's. I used the front inners off the el chapo axles. They may live just fine up there. The outers refused to come off. I just removed the oem front axles with 5,400 miles on them. The correct inners for the rear are on the way
Problem solved 🙂
To be continued....

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got the car back on the ground. After initial ride around a bumpy yard the rear needed some preload the front is fine for now but I'm sure I'll need more as the springs settle.

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While I had the suspension removed I replaced the plastic blue washer with the thicker white washer on the primary and also replaced the square pucks with round rollers on the secondary clutch both from Hunterworks. I have only rode 30 miles on dirt roads but have noticed better engagement and less noise coming from the clutch.
In regards to the suspension being advertised as a +5 inches my little 1000s is now a measured 74 inches wide with the 4/3 offset wheels. I will eventually put on the new 30 inch tires but the old ones still have a bit of life left in them. I ride a lot of dirt roads this time of year.

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rode out to a friends farm to do some suspension testing yesterday and it's amazing! The stock suspension would always bottom out doing normal dirt road riding at 45/55 mph over dips, raised bridge crossings and pot holes. It wasn't a noticeable bottoming but you could look at the dust marks on the shock shaft and see where the bump stops had been contacted. I had only jumped the car a couple of times when it was new and knew quickly it was not designed for that. Now however I don't think jumping will be an issue. But first I need to find a suitable launch site :p I had the dog with me yesterday so that was not a good time, but I did so some trails several trees were down and crossing over a 12 inch log at speed was hardly noticeable. I do not run sway bars, but with this set up it feels like I am. Everything about the car is more stable, the speeds I was taking on the trails were double from the previous times with the stock suspension and I could not stop grinning 😁.

·
Registered
2017 1000s
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couple more pics:

It was about 25 deg this late afternoon. With heated jacket liner and back up heated gloves, it ain't bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rode out to a friends farm to do some suspension testing yesterday and it's amazing! The stock suspension would always bottom out doing normal dirt road riding at 45/55 mph over dips, raised bridge crossings and pot holes. It wasn't a noticeable bottoming but you could look at the dust marks on the shock shaft and see where the bump stops had been contacted. I had only jumped the car a couple of times when it was new and knew quickly it was not designed for that. Now however I don't think jumping will be an issue. But first I need to find a suitable launch site :p I had the dog with me yesterday so that was not a good time, but I did so some trails several trees were down and crossing over a 12 inch log at speed was hardly noticeable. I do not run sway bars, but with this set up it feels like I am. Everything about the car is more stable, the speeds I was taking on the trails were double from the previous times with the stock suspension and I could not stop grinning 😁. View attachment 665485 View attachment 665486 View attachment 665487

Looks sweet !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts