Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It appears that we have 4 choices when it comes to having a glove box in our 570. (1) No glove box. (2) Soft glove box-pouch. (3) OEM non-locking glove box. (4) Aftermarket locking glove box.

I purchased the soft glove box-pouch and found it to be unsatisfactory. While it seemed well built, it depended on sticky back velcro to hold it in place. And even though I cleaned the surfaces carefully, the glue on the velcro had let go in less than an hour while the RZR was sitting still.

I found an online vendor for Polaris parts and studied the diagram for the OEM non-locking glove box. It looks like it would bolt right up to the 2 tabs that are welded in place on the RZR. Here is the link to see the OEM non-locking diagram: http://www.polarispartsmonster.com/p/Polaris-RAZR-Parts#/Polaris/R12JT87AB%2f%2fAD%2f%2fAS%2f%2fAW%2f%2f9EAW_RANGER_RZR_XP_900_EFI_%282012%29/BODY%2c_GLOVEBOX_-_R12JT87AB%2f%2fAD%2f%2fAS%2f%2fAW%2f%2f9EAW/84357/84362

This photo was taken under the dashboard on the rider's side. It shows the tabs that appear would bolt to the top of the OEM glove box:

Several posters on this forum said that they had installed the 800 OEM box and that it bolted right up in the 570. Note: the OEM part numbers for the glove box are the same for the 800 and the 900.

I wanted a locking glove box, so I figured that if the 800-900 OEM box would work with the 570, then the 800-900 aftermarket locking box would work as well.

I ordered the box and here is what it looks like:

Front View:

Back View:

As you can see, the way that the box connects is that it wraps around the horizontal tube that the grab bar is welded to. See the first photo. It is held in place by 2 U-bolts that are inserted from inside the box. The tabs shown in the first photo are in the way and must be removed!

OK, this will take some modification. The tabs must be removed to allow the molded box to fit over the tube. Since the tabs have a type of spot weld from the top, the weld must be cut before cutting the tabs off. See Photo:

Using a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade, I sliced through the weld on both sides before cutting the tabs off. You must bend the tabs straight up with your hand to get a good angle on the weld.

Here are the tabs after removal:

At this point, I thought that the hard part was done. Not so fast. While the U-bolts on the left of the box are fairly easy to reach, the ones on the right appeared to be impossible. The box fits snugly against the firewall so you cannot get to the bolts from the bottom. I finally found that if I got on my knees on the outside of the driver's door and reached across and under the dash with my left hand, I could get to the back side of the box and reach the right-side u-bolt. From this awkward position, it takes a long time to run the locking nuts down on the u-bolts. Tighten them until they finally hit bottom. I found that a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 7/16" deep socket worked the best.

After snugging up the nuts on the u-bolts, the finished product was well fitting and tight. I was concerned that the entire box might rotate on the tube, but it does not. I am pleased with the final product.

Final thought: This box will not work with the tabs in the way. I don't know how it fits the 800-900 if the tabs are used for the OEM box.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nice write up. What's the cost difference between it and the oem hard box?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice write up. What's the cost difference between it and the oem hard box?
If you follow the link to the diagram for the OEM glove box at the first part of this thread, you will also see the prices. You must purchase all the individual parts for the box as it does not come in a kit that I can find. When I ran the price for the OEM non-locking box came in just under $90 plus shipping. I found the aftermarket locking box in the $110-$130 range, shipping included. Pretty much a toss-up. A big difference would be if the OEM box will bolt up without modification as has been reported on this forum.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had to do the same with mine, cut the tabs off with a grinder, then lift the hood up to get the nuts on the u bolt.
Wayne

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used the same one. I used a dremel tool and routed 2 slots in the back of my glove box and just slid it on the brackets, instead of cutting them off. put a silicone around them on the inside. works great.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Great write up. Thanks...

My dealer wanted to charge me 2 tech hr to install the glove box. I turn him down thinking that an aftermarket box will come up for the 570 soon.

I wonder if the 570 LE glove box will fit without modification????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts